Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this might sound a bit ludicrous and i'm not at all saying it's the right thing to do. I'm just putting it out there and would like to know all of your opinions on it.

If the WWE had a month off would they benefit from it? I don't know when they would have this month off, possibly after Wrestlemania (Although I think post-wrestlemania reaction is quite important). Or maybe some other time. In this time WWE could have a month of sitting down and writing out ALL of their main plains for the next year. Detailed story-lines, which direction certain superstars are going. They could even write back-up plans incase certain wrestlers get injured. Basically get a nice step by step plan to follow.

Here is what I think the main positive from this idea is:
  • In this day and age, wrestling is as much about story-line as it is 'in-ring' work. I feel the main problem about today is that the product is stale. We've seen pretty much everything there is to see and everytime there is something new, WWE seem to get cold feet. We here time and time again about how the creative team change the direction they're going every five seconds. If they were to plan ahead, we'd see more structure and detail in story-lines. They would have thought about it for a month solidly so they would have thought about all the possibilities and would go ahead with the best one.

Another thing is the hype around ending and starting shows. The first episode of 'the new season' (if you like) would draw a huge hype, if we all took a break from WWE for a month or so after 11 months of product we'd be craving to see where they're going to take it this season, what have they come up with in this month off? And obviously, everything that has happened all year round will pretty much be concluded in the last episode, so there'll be hype around that too.
What I feel are the main negatives:
  • The wrestling business has for so long been built around the fans reactions. I've heard from many bookers, wreslter etc that you put an idea out there and if it the crowd reacts, you stick with it. The purpose of this idea is to think of a well thought out idea for a month that will definitely get a reaction. But say it doesn't, then the WWE are pretty screwed.

Money. They will obviously lose money in the month they have off. Will they make up for the money they lose by this idea. Obviously, I don't have the answer.
Anyway, it's just an idea so don't ridicule me. What's your opinion? Can you think of any more positive and negatives? Please post.

·
Banned
12,539 Posts
It's all good writing storylines and plans out in advanced and having a legit story with them but I actually have a feeling the WWE do this but they listen to what and how the crowd reacts to it and thats why they change there mind.

I mean if no one gave a shit about Punk's shoot or cared for Punk after that, he'd probably be mid card right now. I mean unless they have a legit plan for Del Rio, they listened to the crowd for him and they realised no one cared which is why they had him drop the belt.

·
Wrestling is better while drinking
1,888 Posts
I don't think they should take a month off, but I wouldn't object to them finding more ways to keep some of the major stars off television for a month or more at a time. Let some midcarders get more time and develop a more balanced roster.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
The negative definitely outweighs the positive. Another negative that you didn't mention is that the storylines they were building would lose steam, especially the midcard storylines. The fans would just forget about what had been happening. So yeah, this would hurt the WWE more than help them.

·
Registered
928 Posts
It would make some sense to try this but the WWE would so much money if they were off this long and wrestlers would likely be somewhat out of shape the first few shows after the break.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The negative definitely outweighs the positive. Another negative that you didn't mention is that the storylines they were building would lose steam, especially the midcard storylines. The fans would just forget about what had been happening. So yeah, this would hurt the WWE more than help them.
Yeah, I probably didn't explain it properly but what I meant was that all the story-lines conclude on the last episode and then they start from fresh on the starting episode when they come back. So nothing carries through, unless they think of a huge angle that could go over more than one 'season'.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
We talk about a break all the time - but let's face the reality. A month off doesn't benefit the WWE because they have to pay a full roster and all their staff to do nothing for a month. Plus they'd be missing out on anywhere upto 20 house shows, 8 tv tapings and at least one PPV - the revenue those things provide from tickets plus the extra merch sales from the events plus the PPV buys - they miss out on ALL of this whilst still having a payroll to hand out - and at the end of it all? Casuals might be disinterested because they haven't seen it on for a month.

Baring all that in mind, try pitching this to Vince McMahon. It's a financial nightmare and would SERIOUSLY impact the company's bottom line at the end of any year.

He'd shoot you down in flames.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Taking a week off before the premiere of the WWE Network wouldn't be too bad, wouldn't it? Possibly re-organize their shows?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I think the wrestlers may benefit from having a month off so they can spend more time with their families, rest their bodies etc. In terms of booking, i don't think the company would benefit from having a month off, i actually think they would benefit more by having less pay-per-views.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Part of the problem is that wrestling's continuous nature means that storylines can easily peter out and get forgotten. This is par for the course in TNA, of course, but worryingly it's more prevalent in WWE now. I was reading today about the original Edge/Vickie marriage angle, which was built up carefully and brought to a satisfying conclusion; somehow WWE has lost the ability to build a compelling long-term storyline. Now, whenever a promising storyline emerges, it inevitably ends with everyone involved getting buried by that one-man anti-wrestling merchandising machine called John Cena.

So, rather than a rest, I would suggest an experiment on Smackdown. Book, in advance, a coherent storyline involving all wrestlers, marked off into face and heel camps, lasting for about ten-to-twelve weeks. This storyline will drive all the bouts, and may even involve the odd swerve (tweenerish heels and faces may change camps during the run). The shows will be shot in a different fashion to Raw (more atmospheric lighting, and a generally darker feel). This should be ringfenced, so that Raw wrestlers do not invade; it could also mean Smackdown-only PPVs.

Therefore, my argument is that a change may be better than a rest. Do something brave and distinctive, and the company may reap rewards. Of course, the question then is: what happens when the initial run ends?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
i always thought the best thing would be having the us and ic titles main event one week, then the tag champs the next, sort of a rotation. So you get more stories, and seeing the big guys would mean something especially on ppv. also keep guys healthier and less stale

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
They shouldn't take any time off TV wise. House show wise WWE should do that for an entire month or so. They owe it to their superstars to give them time off and actually let them be with their families. If anything though, WWE should have a month without a ppv so things can be even more fresh. No ppv in April(or May,depending on when WM is) so it makes it feel like abit of a break.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
I don't think they should take a month off, but I wouldn't object to them finding more ways to keep some of the major stars off television for a month or more at a time. Let some midcarders get more time and develop a more balanced roster.
This would be fine.

·
Too Busy Eating Donuts
7,523 Posts
I think the superstars and creative team would benefit from a month or so off but as for the WWE in a whole probably no it would suffer people might forget what WWE even was during the break

1 - 17 of 17 Posts