Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone criticizes the lack of locker room discipline (including the wrestlers) - I don't know how bad it was really
Some criticize Eric Bischoff - in my opinion, while Bischoff is no Vince McMahon he's still very smart
Fewer bring up the merger

I thought without those weasel executives trying to censor it or get it off their network it would have survived. It was still light years ahead of TNA (who I want nothing but success for BTW) and Turner was a fan of it with plenty more money to throw around.

·
Registered
12,437 Posts
Perhaps. Would have preferred Bischoff had bought the company when he had the chance. Then he would have no excuses as to whether WCW prospered or still fell apart.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Wasn't Bischoff planning to buy it in early 2001 to take it out Las Vegas way for a fresh start? Shame it was all down to AOL-Time Warner and Brad Siegel wanting nothing to do with wrestling and pulling the plug on it in the end. Ted Turner was the only guy that kept WCW alive but they eventually pushed him out.

·
Banned
6,893 Posts
Yes, it would've survived. WCW lived on the loyalty of Ted Turner to the 'rasslin show that he built the Superstation on. When Turner/Time Warner was sold to AOL, Ted lost his majority stake and his overriding veto power. In short, he lost the ability to stop them. If the AOL deal never happened, they'd still be on the air today and there wouldn't have been a damn thing anybody could do about it.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I think that had AOL not purchased Time Warner, WCW definitely would've been able to right the ship.

I also think that if not, Bischoff should have gotten the opportunity to buy it. Unfortunately, he wouldn't have had any place to air it, since all WCW related programming was getting kicked off the air.

Maybe, he would've been able to get into syndication. I remember hearing rumors of WCW doing a series of specials on NBC. So, who knows what would've happened.

It's unfortunate that WCW doesn't exist anymore, because except for that last year and a half/2 years. Most of my memories of the company are fond.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yup. Despite WCW losing a ton of money, Ted Turner still loved wrasslin' and spent a ton of money to keep it alive. Had AOL not merged with Time Warner, WCW would still be alive today. It didn't help of course, that Jamie Kellner killed all of its programming as well but had he not done that, I'm pretty sure that Eric Bischoff would be running the show right now.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
maybe but if the product remained as terrible as it had become and they weren't making any money off of it then they would have eventually had to take it out back and take it out of its misery.

·
Wrestle Like It's 1999!
370 Posts
I think so, wasnt WCWs next PPV before they was bought going to be a 'rebirth' of WCW?
I think Vince bullied his way to buy WCW, Bishoff didnt have a chance really, but I do see WCW still going if the AOL executives didnt think that wrestling was right for them

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Ted Turner is what kept that company going, after the merger he was out of the picture. Also, letting that clown Kevin Nash be the booker diddnt help. Hogan had too much power as well. I'm not even gonna mention what Vince Russo did there, that speaks for itslef. Bischoff wouldn't have done anything. This guy had one good idea, the NWO, and he ripped that off from Japan.

All these clowns, like Russo, Nash, Bischoff, and Hogan all like to blame the AOL merger and that only. While that was part of it, they need to look in the mirror.

TNA needs a Ted Turner right now. Somebody with a ton of money that's a huge wrestling fan and wants to compete with Vince. They don't even have the money to take Impact on the road every week, which really hurts the show in my opinion. Its almost like watching WCW Saturday Night.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Probably, it was doing around a 2 its last year or so in business going against Raw doing 5's with Austin/Rock//etc still around. WCW had a fanbase that would've continued to watch it probably on par or above what TNA gets today.

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,974 Posts
AOL Time Warner dropped WCW because it was making ridiculous losses and they couldn't be bothered to support it anymore.

What Bischoff said about "no-one wanting wrestling" has been proven to be bullshit by the WWE's continued success.

WCW was a terrible business. It's pretty simple. It was more secure when Bill Watts was booking and they were making manageable losses with a product with longevity to it. Ted Turner was happy to underwrite the small losses, in return for the TV ratings and constant flow of original programming. This changed when Bischoff's 'boom and bust' philosophy kicked in.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Actually before AOL purchased Time Warner... their Turner Broadcasting division didn't have a strategic vision, beaucracy was everywhere, and management was terrible. In fact when the merger was announced that's one of the things they hoped AOL would fix. Translation.. finally getting rid of Ted Turner lol

After the merger.. they did exactly that. They replaced Turner, and merged The WB with Turner Broadcasting. 10 years later... look at the division now. It's one of Time Warner's top divisions. So regardless of AOL, Time Warner needed to make changes in that division, the AOL purchase just made things move a little faster.

Once they got rid of Ted Turner, WCW was doomed. As long as Turner was in charge, no changes would be made at Turner Broadcasting. The Braves, and WCW would still be part of the company, regardless if they lose money every quarter.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
Ted Turner is what kept that company going, after the merger he was out of the picture. Also, letting that clown Kevin Nash be the booker diddnt help. Hogan had too much power as well. I'm not even gonna mention what Vince Russo did there, that speaks for itslef. Bischoff wouldn't have done anything. This guy had one good idea, the NWO, and he ripped that off from Japan.

All these clowns, like Russo, Nash, Bischoff, and Hogan all like to blame the AOL merger and that only. While that was part of it, they need to look in the mirror.

TNA needs a Ted Turner right now. Somebody with a ton of money that's a huge wrestling fan and wants to compete with Vince. They don't even have the money to take Impact on the road every week, which really hurts the show in my opinion. Its almost like watching WCW Saturday Night.
Yeah and those "clowns" Bischoff, Hogan and Nash were also the reason that WCW almost put WWF out of business. If they didn't release Stunning Steve Austin when they did then WWF would have went bankrupt. And even then the only reason WCW died is because Jamie Kellner hated wrestling.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Yeah and those "clowns" Bischoff, Hogan and Nash were also the reason that WCW almost put WWF out of business. If they didn't release Stunning Steve Austin when they did then WWF would have went bankrupt. And even then the only reason WCW died is because Jamie Kellner hated wrestling.
Everthing I have read suggests the belief that WCW nearly killed off WWE was pure fiction; hyperbole created by McMahon to portay himself as the underdog against the "evil" Ted Turner.

Apparently the WWE made a small profit during the financial year 1995 - 1996,and an even bigger profit between 1996 and 1997.The money losing period was 1992 - 1995,when WCW was also losing money due to a wrestling recession.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I think so, wasnt WCWs next PPV before they was bought going to be a 'rebirth' of WCW?
I think Vince bullied his way to buy WCW, Bishoff didnt have a chance really, but I do see WCW still going if the AOL executives didnt think that wrestling was right for them
Vince had a right to bid on WCW's properties due to a lawsuit in 1996 I think. That's why Bischoff had to back off for a while before attempting to make another bid with Fusient.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts