• John Cena (2010)

Votes: 23 26.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Simple yes/no question, just tell me why, though.

Personally, I do think his career is legendary. His main event run in 2005 and his saga as Smackdown!'s top face from Summer 2005 until Edge replaced him in 2007 was pretty cool to watch. And he managed to pull out great entertainment with Kane, Big Show, Rey Mysterio, and Booker T. He was over as hell and the fans just loved him outright.

And of course, his feud and series of matches with Undertaker in 2007 was beyond amazing. Taker's fourth best feud ever, only below Kane, Mankind, and HBK.

I simply don't get all the hate from IWC towards him. I mean, the hate directed towards him is because he botched every move he had and he was unfaithful to his wife.

Um, yeah, Batista was a great worker in the ring unlike Goldberg botched more moves than Morrison but Goldberg didn't get the hate from IWC.

And it's not like Stone Cold was not a wife beater either, but Austin didn't get the hate form IWC, so even now, I think the hatred for Batista is kinda unjust.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Absolutely, he was every bit as good as guys like Flair, HBK, Savage, Austin, Rock, Bret, etc. The dude was just so charismatic and dynamic, especially as a face. His face run from the time he left evolution to his 2010 heel turn will go down as one of the best ever.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Yes. From 2005-2008 he was alongside Cena as the biggest star of the company. After WWE went PG, he seemed to be usurped by Orton but his career will definitely go down as legendary imo. People have had legendary careers with much less success.

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts
It depends what you define legendary as, because I think people throw that word around too much these days. He's sure as hell had a solid career and done really well for himself in the WWE becoming a permanent main event figure but as for being legendary, being on par with Undertaker/HBK/Hogan and a few others? I don't think so.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Feud, HHH 2005
Matches, Taker 2007
I voted for Batista-Taker but I agree with this right here. Legendary is a tricky word because how is that exactly decided? Is it the WWE that tells us by making him the number 2 guy behind Cena? Is it his list of feud and matches that you listed? Or is it simply opinion?

for example: I'd argue that Crash Holly is a legend but thats only because of how entertaining I found him throughout his career. I'd doubt a lot would agree. Legendary career? no, but I do think of him as a legendary figure from the attitude era.

As for Batista, I'd lean towards yes, he has had a legendary career but for some reason I feel like he is missing a couple of those "big moments" that we have define some of the others that are labeled legendary. His moment when he power bombed HHH through the table comes to mind as well as his Heel work with John Cena are very memorable.

"Kissin Babies and Huggin fat girls" Side note: I was at a Raw taping in San Jose b4 his match at Mania with Cena and when Batista repeated that line I laguhed and clapped loudly, only to turn and see a rather fat lady looking right at me. She was not amused.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I voted for Batista-Taker but I agree with this right here. Legendary is a tricky word because how is that exactly decided? Is it the WWE that tells us by making him the number 2 guy behind Cena? Is it his list of feud and matches that you listed? Or is it simply opinion?

for example: I'd argue that Crash Holly is a legend but thats only because of how entertaining I found him throughout his career. I'd doubt a lot would agree. Legendary career? no, but I do think of him as a legendary figure from the attitude era.

As for Batista, I'd lean towards yes, he has had a legendary career but for some reason I feel like he is missing a couple of those "big moments" that we have define some of the others that are labeled legendary. His moment when he power bombed HHH through the table comes to mind as well as his Heel work with John Cena are very memorable.
I think in every match he's ever been in, Batista's most memorable moment is this:

Not to mention the match is, by lightyears, the best match in Batista's career.

"Kissin Babies and Huggin fat girls" Side note: I was at a Raw taping in San Jose b4 his match at Mania with Cena and when Batista repeated that line I laguhed and clapped loudly, only to turn and see a rather fat lady looking right at me. She was not amused.
I know the feeling. :lmao

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I'd probably say so. He was solidly the 2nd most over guy in the entire company for years.

Won a lot of titles
Had some great feuds
Was in some great matches

He wasn't that good on the mic until nearly the end when he turned heel. It didn't matter though, 'cause he was over as hell.

·
Registered
604 Posts
No. He was well on his way, but his lack of longevity will be what seperates him from the greats like Taker and HBK.

·
Recognize
21,503 Posts
It's hard to call for me. While he was the second biggest star of his era, he didn't stick around long enough to make it to legendary status imo. Hell, I don't think anybody is even calling Cena a legend at this stage in the game so how can we do the same for Batista? He's a huge superstar no doubt but legend? I don't know. I think this might be a case of the term being thrown around a little too loosely. Hogan, Rock and Austin are icons. Taker, HBK, HHH are legends. I don't see Batista slotting in with that second group at all, even if he was a bigger 'star' so to speak.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
His career was legendary in my opinion. And my vote for best feud goes to HHH

·
Banned
9,205 Posts
I don't know. I'm leaning towards no because while he did experience a great deal of success he didn't do anything so incredibly impactful that makes him worthy of being called legendary.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
I most definitely wouldn't call it legendary, he isn't anywherw near true legends of the sport, he did have a great career but just didn't like the guy from late 05 until he had that long overdue heel turn

1 - 20 of 53 Posts