Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like when Russians or the Sheik would be anti US heels and get everyone to hate them and they would beat everyone except the big names.

For todays time they could use someone billed from Afghanistan or Iran shouting death to America. At the end of the feud someone, maybe Angle could wave the american flag and finally beat him for the USA. It worked for Sgt Slaughter and Hogan years ago, would something similiar work in todays market? I think more fans would watch hoping to see the big bad foreigner eventually get beat and ran out of town or possibly become a face.

·
Registered
11,871 Posts
You need a strong heel to pull it off. I always thought those storylines work. But you need a strong heel like Bret Hart, Iron Sheik,etc.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
IMHO, TNA can put on the greatest of greatest storyline in ALL of wrestling and the company would still draw the same attendance and ratings it gets in the modern era. I don't think it's the product not getting people interested. I just think TNA isn't that high on the radar and wrestling is in a dying market as a whole not named Wrestlemania.

Wrestlemania has now become wrestling. Even Raw and the WWE are second-rate with consistently. Just enjoy TNA for what it is. They won't be drawing huge anytime soon. It'll take a drastic change from the industry for that to happen. Lower the expectations of what you envision TNA to be in your dreams and maybe you'd enjoy it more.

·
Banned
8,283 Posts
I actually agree with OP this would definitely make ratings start to go up a little bit and business get better. But why would TNA ever wanna do better business? That wouldn't make sense for TNA to do something that works in pro wrestling.

@AngelofDarkness

You do realize that TNA right now is horrible tv and ppv right? If they got WAY better your statement might be very wrong.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I actually agree with OP this would definitely make ratings start to go up a little bit and business get better. But why would TNA ever wanna do better business? That wouldn't make sense for TNA to do something that works in pro wrestling.

@AngelofDarkness

You do realize that TNA right now is horrible tv and ppv right? If they got WAY better your statement might be very wrong.
TNA has been working their ass off for the last 2-3 years. They've made smart business decisions and are looking to expand with the best at what they got. TNA doesn't have Vince McMahon money. They can only do SO much and from where they started until where they are now, it's actually impressive if you take off the hate-glass's.

·
Premium Member
44,440 Posts
No more Anti-American characters please.

I would like to believe that the business can survive without that kind of cheap heat that's been done a 1000 times.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

@AngelofDarkness

That's funny, I remember reading as early as this month that TNA has been putting on the best shows of its existence. What they need to do is chop down the number of PPV's and spend more of that money into live events on the road. PPV's are meant for a special occasion happening for wrestling fans. TNA can't even get the excitement going because they stay in that nauseating iMPACT Zone every PPV, taking away the excitement of what a PPV is supposed to be. They've been going steadily on the road more and more, but it takes the umph right out of those events when iMPACT is right back in the iMPACT zone that next week. Once they get out of the iMPACT Zone, the more money they could create with a high risk, high reward type market.

Staying in the IZ does them NO good and it waters down the product. That's why people won't watch. They simply look second rate within the same place weekly as WWE has thousands in the crowd nightly in different territories. TNA is still a work in progress and they are working at it.

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
That shit is old as fuck.
It isn't the 90's anymore, a good wrestling product isn't enough.

TNA needs to get their new stars out there in the main stream culture.
Cut useless talent and invest on media appearances/ads.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
No. Anti-American storylines are overused, lazy and cliched.

·
Registered
11,871 Posts
The hate for anti american storylines dont make sense. Its a fabric of pro wrestling and we really havent seen a serious attempt since Hassan in the WWE and he was mad over.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I don't like them. They kind of made sense in the Cold War period as you had two big diametrically opposed ideologies and nations of equivalent power locked in a struggle that essentially remained unchanged for 50 years.

Now it's just different. If I saw some guy come out pretending to be a radical Moslem or even coming out as being from Afghanistan or somewhere I would probably just find it distasteful. For one thing you have the extremists bombing and killing people on one side, and then you have a global superpower dropping billions of dollars of ordnance on villages and huts on the other. It's too uneven, too "real" and current and, unlike with the USSR and the Cold War where, by definition, nothing happened for 50 years, you still have servicemen being killed out there on the one hand and you still have the potential for more terrorist atrocities on the other.

I think they should steer clear. There's no need for it when good old fashioned greed, lust for power, avarice, envy and hatred are still prime motivators for heelish wrestlers.

·
Registered
11,871 Posts
I don't like them. They kind of made sense in the Cold War period as you had two big diametrically opposed ideologies and nations of equivalent power locked in a struggle that essentially remained unchanged for 50 years.

Now it's just different. If I saw some guy come out pretending to be a radical Moslem or even coming out as being from Afghanistan or somewhere I would probably just find it distasteful. For one thing you have the extremists bombing and killing people on one side, and then you have a global superpower dropping billions of dollars of ordnance on villages and huts on the other. It's too uneven, too "real" and current and, unlike with the USSR and the Cold War where, by definition, nothing happened for 50 years, you still have servicemen being killed out there on the one hand and you still have the potential for more terrorist atrocities on the other.

I think they should steer clear. There's no need for it when good old fashioned greed, lust for power, avarice, envy and hatred are still prime motivators for heelish wrestlers.
Its too emotional and real, that why it would work. Wrestling is fake, tv shows and movies have no issues with these storylines. NCIS is the biggest show on tv and most of their storylines deal with this stuff.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Yeah, I see what you mean. But shows like the ones you mentioned usually deal with the topics in more depth. The "bad guys" have backstories and motivations. And the subject is dealt with with sensitivity and 60 minutes to put a story across.

While wrestling is drama too, let's face it, what you actually end up with is a muscular dude with an AK47 and a towel on his head shouting "Inshalla!" and "Shut up American infidels!" for 5 minutes every week.

It's just tacky. Then again, that's just my opinion, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Fans arent going to tune in just to watch some anti-american heels. To draw in fans you need some faces the fans can relate too.
In the mid-80s you had Hulk Hogan, late 80s the Rockers and Ultimate Warrior, then you got Bret Hart, New Age Outlaws, Austin and the Rock. Those were all cool characters that the (young) fans can relate to. TNA doesnt have anyone like that. The closest thing towards "cool" is the MCMG. Until they have a face that makes watching wrestling cool again it doesnt matter what they do, nothing will increase the ratings.

·
Registered
11,871 Posts
Fans arent going to tune in just to watch some anti-american heels. To draw in fans you need some faces the fans can relate too.
In the mid-80s you had Hulk Hogan, late 80s the Rockers and Ultimate Warrior, then you got Bret Hart, New Age Outlaws, Austin and the Rock. Those were all cool characters that the (young) fans can relate to. TNA doesnt have anyone like that. The closest thing towards "cool" is the MCMG. Until they have a face that makes watching wrestling cool again it doesnt matter what they do, nothing will increase the ratings.
That's true too, its a combination of things. I don't consider MCMG "cool" but then again, you got young men walking the streets in leggins nowadays with tight pink shirts, so I don't know what the new generation likes.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On second thought I agree it would be tacky to use a country where our troops are getting killed, maybe some country like Japan or China or even better, North Korea. This gimmick hasn't been used in years and there really are no storylines in TNA at present. Just who wants a title shot, what's in the envelope about AJ and some big jabroni looking for his brother. All weak imo.

I do think they have faces fans would cheer for against some really evil face; Angle, AJ, Storm, Hardy. Maybe they aren't as coloful as faces of the 80's but it could work. Right now TNA needs any type of story line and if not an evil foreigner from a country we aren't at war with how about a tough kayfabe ex-con that wants to hurt everyone?`

·
Registered
11,871 Posts
On second thought I agree it would be tacky to use a country where our troops are getting killed, maybe some country like Japan or China or even better, North Korea. This gimmick hasn't been used in years and there really are no storylines in TNA at present. Just who wants a title shot, what's in the envelope about AJ and some big jabroni looking for his brother. All weak imo.

I do think they have faces fans would cheer for against some really evil face; Angle, AJ, Storm, Hardy. Maybe they aren't as coloful as faces of the 80's but it could work. Right now TNA needs any type of story line and if not an evil foreigner from a country we aren't at war with how about a tough kayfabe ex-con that wants to hurt everyone?`
Well, some people have some type of problem with stereotypical characters like the evil Japanese wrestler. But this is PRO WRESTLING, this business is built off stereotypes. Just because it's 2012, they think the world has change and blah,blah. What's next? Banned wrestling tights? Or bodyslams?

·
Registered
361 Posts
TNA don't need an anti-American heel in their company. They might as well just get a wrestler to be anti-Orlando since it would have the same effect.

But seriously these kinds of characters work well in moderation. As for improving the ratings...Faces not heels tend to improve ratings with a few notable exceptions. Still a character like this tends to get an audience reaction so it could be a good thing for the company.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
No it would suck like most the other anti USA feuds, Bret Heart was the only one that even did a okay job at it but no wrestling company has the balls or the smarts to pull it off right.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts