Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I am not suggesting a playoff, but should the WWE have more best of 3, 5, and 7 falls matches for the lesser titles? I guess it could work for the World, and WWE titles, but I think this could be something new for the Tag Team titles, IC, and US titles. I enjoy the best of 3, 5, or 7 matches. It adds to the feuds, and gives reason for the matches.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
7 fall matches? No thank you. But I do wish they did 2/3 falls matches more often. They are fun, especially in tag matches.

·
Munster Mash
3,975 Posts
Best of 7 series like Booker T vs. Benoit? Yeah, I'd enjoy it, as long as it was entertaining.

Side note, I would love to see a three stages of hell match again.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I think it's a good idea.

It adds a sense of desperation to matches, that their must-win.

The Dolph Ziggler/Kofi Kingston matches last year would have benefited greatly from this.

·
Registered
160 Posts
best of # matches would also make a chance for 'upsets' for example a midcarder like ziggler taking cena to the limit and forcing a match 5, 7, etc. would bring lots of much needed drama to raw and smackdown.

·
Registered
700 Posts
That's a tough call. While I like the idea, it can be a tough one to pull off well. You need to have 2 guys that have great chemistry together, as well as varied enough move sets from both to keep things from getting very repetitive and stale quickly. The last thing you'ld want to see is 7 identical matches with the only differences being who hits thier finisher first.

I think it'ld work out better for the mid-card titles right now, but not so much for the ME titles. Most of the guys in the ME scene are pretty set with a handful of go-to moves, that would get boring seeing in a 5 or 7 match series. The mid-carders could change things up from match to match without it being glaringly obvious that they're doing things differently, and would be more believable that they added things as they are still working their way up to the ME scene. Doing match series could be a good way to help boost the meaningfulness of the mid-card titles, which they need to be meaningful again, and be the stepping stones to the ME scene they once were.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is actually a pretty good idea.

First, it would allow people who will eventually "go over" to take a pin, or two; thus, both competitors look good. Feuds could eventually culminate in a big tie-breaker match. However, if this was used, I would hate the cliche of the series always going 3-3, or 2-2, with a dramatic ending. As with everything in wrestling, it would have to be believable.

If chemistry is an issue, which it will be in 5 or 7 match series, the matches could be spiced up by throwing in a gimmick match. Let this idea be experimented with in the mid-card. If it is successful, I could possibly see a ME title series, but it would have to have a story behind it and be skillfully done. Overall, its a fine idea that could shake up the usual rigmarole of one match, one fall, repeat at the next PPV.

·
Banned
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would add to the creative side as well with the wrestlers themselves. I could hear someone like Wade Barrett bragging about how he swept Sin Cara, or someone like Ezekiel Jackson. There are so many ways you can go with this. Right now I think it's exactly what the Tag Team division, and mid card divisions need. A star like Daniel Bryan could do well from this, and it helps build credibility for "face" characters as well. At the same time I don't think every match should have this stipulation, but at least one match per show weekly. Best of 3 over three weeks of Raw, or Smackdown would be awesome. These series of matches would tell a better story.

·
Dragon Slayer
6,625 Posts
WCW had the best of 7 tournament for the US championship between Chris Benoit and Booker T. That was fuckin awesome and it made for a great mid card feud for a PPV. If WWE built some stuff up like that it would be pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Now I am not suggesting a playoff, but should the WWE have more best of 3, 5, and 7 falls matches for the lesser titles? I guess it could work for the World, and WWE titles, but I think this could be something new for the Tag Team titles, IC, and US titles. I enjoy the best of 3, 5, or 7 matches. It adds to the feuds, and gives reason for the matches.
Best of three fall matches are alright, but they always go to the third fall, which makes the first two falls a bit dull. Best of five or best of seven would just feel like overkill, might as well just do an IronMan match.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts