Wrestling Forum banner

What do you think of Beth and Kong as tag champs?

• It would make the tag division interesting again (for a while at least)

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • It would be the final nail in the coffin of tag wrestling and bury the male teams

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • It wouldn't really change anything one way or the other

Votes: 3 18.8%

Would this reignite interest in the tag division?

684 Views 8 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  coopieroLCFC
I thought occured to me the other day that the WWE actually has the opportunity to do something that they haven't done before...

Awesome Kong and Beth Phoenix - tag team champions.

Both are actually strong enough to seem legit against male wrestlers and have abilities to put on a good match.

With Kong joining WWE soon they could side her with Beth to destroy Laycool before having them demand a tag team title match to prove not all Divas are useless catwalk models. They win the title and have a few feuds a a tag team before eventually breaking up and fighting each other.

I can see this potentially making people take notice both of the tag division and the diva one (especially if a couple of new wrestling Divas are signed to compliment Natalya, melina, Kim and laycool who can put on a decent show and create a credible diva division when the two return to female competition.

I can also see the flip side that some may view it as burying the male competitors that lose to GlamaKong but if Beth and Kong are made to look like they can handle themselves in the male division then I can't see it hurting the male wrestlers.

Besides I can imagine both would be willing to do it as Kong has cut a few promos about wnating to compete against the men that I have seen and Phoenix entered the rumble last year.

Thoughts?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4,666 Posts
no no no no. Women would not make the division interesting. In fact, I think most people (like myself) would think of it as even more of a joke than it already is.

· Masonic!
1,577 Posts
I think it would be awesome. Kong & Del Ray have been in matches with Kings Of Wrestling & The Briscoes.

They would probably be my favorite thing in WWE.

· Lucy Snorebush
2,155 Posts
That's an absolute fucking JOKE and would ensure that anybody who still takes the tag titles seriously never does again.
Agreed. And I wish people would stop trying to lay Kong onto someone else or be a fucking bodyguard. Look at the size of her, she NEEDS to be booked as the female Goldberg for the fans to take her seriously. Have her come in and decimate every fucking barbie on the roster then use her to put over a new comer / underperforming diva in the future when she's had a very lengthy streak and title run.

· Masonic!
1,577 Posts
Agreed. And I wish people would stop trying to lay Kong onto someone else or be a fucking bodyguard. Look at the size of her, she NEEDS to be booked as the female Goldberg for the fans to take her seriously. Have her come in and decimate every fucking barbie on the roster then use her to put over a new comer / underperforming diva in the future when she's had a very lengthy streak and title run.
Someone like Phoenix can do that. Kong also needs to be in with the guys.

· I must away and tend to my ravens
12,061 Posts
It might ... briefly, just as JeriShow did but it would do nothing long term. If WWE really want a tag-team division then they need to start pretty much from scratch. They need to form 6 or 7 teams down in FCW and let them develop over 2 years or so (signing indy teams would speed up the process). Then they need to debut them one or two at a time, keeping them away from the titles, until at least 5 of them have made the main roster. Once that happens they can start using the division in a serious way again.

An example of what I'm describing would be the Women's division in 2001. Between April and November 2001 the title was effectively retired due to Chyna leaving the company. During that period there was no need to build to title matches and this allowed the Divas to improve their wrestling ability (thanks largely to Finlay coming in as their trainer). When the belt was brought back at Survivor Series, Trish and Molly Holly had come on in leaps and bounds and Jazz had come into the company which raised the standard considerably. With the addition of Victoria in 2002 (she'd previously been one of The Godfather's Hoes) and Gail Kim in 2003 the division got better and better. It also helped that there were two women's rosters as a result of the brand split with the Diva=types being resticted to Smackdown, well away from the belt.

While I'm on the women's title, I would say it disproves the theory that wrestling doesn't draw since the one time, in recent memory, that the division has been considered worthy of a main-event spot was when Lita (a very good wrestler) faced Trish (a good wrestler) for the title on Raw (Lita had also main-evented Raw for the title against Steph but that was a match refereed by The Rock which takes away from her acchievement)

Anyway, sorry I went off-topic, the first paragraph is relevant at least.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.