Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's been discussed plenty of times as to where the Summer of Punk angle was going, and many on here have said that the WWE was just taking it week to week. With the recent television debut of the second-rate Wrestling company ROH this past week I feel like the Summer of Punk angle should have went cross-brand. The reason being is that ROH is hardly a competitor, and so I feel like it would have made history for both brands, and possibly put Punk over big time.

Think about it. This isn't WCW here which had a legitimate shot at hanging with the WWE, and well know what was going down in the Monday Wars. Nitro had been winning for weeks straight. Seriously it was looking bleak for the WWE(F) at the time, and I thought Turner would buyout all of Vince's talent. Ring of Honor is a solid "wrestling" company with notable ex-WWE stars whether they be commentators, or actual in-ring performers.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Antonio Cesaro formerly Claudio Castagnoli on the Indy scene is now with the WWE, and it appears as though a Kings of Wrestling tag team may make their way to the WWE very soon once they work down in FCW first. Antonio is already signed with the WWE, but I saw him on the ROH taping September the 24th. Had this been WCW 15 years ago that may not have happened. Since ROH is pretty much small time I don't think Vince was worried, but at the same time it's another promotion.

Having Punk leave the WWE was nice, but way too soon. I feel like the WWE rushed this all, and the whole Nash thing should have started this all off. Then we here Punk shoot from the mouth weeks after he originally had done so, and more, or less closer to the ROH television debut. It would have been a way to see how many people would have tuned in to watch him on a rival promotion that most fans don't really know. Figure, if the ratings for ROH program are higher than expected you know you have booked this all very well.

There really is no competition out there so there is really no need to worry about losing any fans here. If anything it could fuse the fans together. Taking the WWE title to ROH would have made wrestling history, and then possibly defending it on a taped show for ROH. Perhaps versus current WWE talent like Daniel Bryan, or ROH talent. Seeing Punk shoot on the WWE in ROH would have made this all seem of the script. It would have added to that "shoot" feel it had originally had going.

Obviously, this wouldn't go on for weeks because you are not going to get a ton of people watching ROH, but it still gives the wrestling world a new buzz. I feel like this could have gotten Punk over, and helped ROH in the process. Not that the WWE wants to "help" ROH, but I'm certain this would have gotten Punk over for a longer period of time. I say this because people have complained that he has lost his steam, and that right now it's just all cheap heat.

·
Dios perdona, los Perros... NO!
3,915 Posts
I'm not sure how it would really help Punk get more over, what with a whole bunch of unknowns running around. The only thing I could see possibly coming from it is a Survivor Series match, but even then I wouldn't truly be sold (from a casual fan who doesn't know what RoH is's perspective).

WWE stirred (probably) just as much controversy and hype around the angle through Punk's online posts and real-world behaviours. It got people talking and it left even the smarks wondering if he would actually return to RoH. It had everyone talking and that's what WWE wanted. It's not that he can't get anything but cheap heat now, it's just how booking has placed him. They didn't need RoH, and they didn't need Nash. It's just WWE being WWE. Nexus started off great and ended up in fireball hurtling towards earth. Execution is WWE's strongpoint, delivery is, however, not alike.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts