Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am talking a defending champion with a schedule and wins/losses. Of course it would still be scripted but at the end of a certain amount of matches (all of which are scheduled either every other week), the top 8 in each conference (pretend there are two conferences) would play in a playoff series, a Best of 7 in each round.

WWE could change match results based on who is getting over, but they could also push a wrestler to the moon with 60 wins (assume it's an 82 match season).

Wrestlemania would be the Final of the contest and April would be a one month vacation for everyone before going back to work in May.

This has never been done before in WWE or anywhere else and I wonder if it would make the product more interesting and that way each year there would be 1 champion per title. What do you think about a win/loss system with playoffs?

·
Registered
681 Posts
But then the story would be 'which wrestler is winning the most'?

Wrestling is served best when organic storylines are not solely based on winning and losing, but on emotional and personal stakes.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
At least your idea would give actual reasons for matches taking place and a reason for caring about them. I think I'd like it.

·
F*** This indy flippy shit
2,147 Posts
No. Statistics are important for actual sports. Wrestling is entertainment. Give people a good story that gets them invested in a match, why should I give a shit about wins and losses in a predetermined setting.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
In the fight biz, if you beat the champ you take the belt.

The idea might work as an experiment. Try it on Smackdown, for instance, and see how it goes over. My guess is WWE would pull the plug after a few weeks and the whole thing would be a waste.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Something like this could work in NXT with the North America championship. It could also work well for the Women's Tag-Team Championship since it's a useless division right now and has been for several months, so something like this could give it some decent structure. Yeah, it's a tournament based win, but it's better than what they are doing now. I don't see how this could work for the main singles titles, but for the entry and junior ones, yeah I see some potential there.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You're saying you want a playoff system and a defending champion? That's confusing. I don't think pro wrestling is built to have a playoff system. Pro wrestling is structured like UFC and boxing where defending champions sometimes choose who they want to defend the title against and other times a number one contender is named and they and they are forced to defend against them.

I do agree that wrestling should have an offseason. Since WWE currently has two brands I don't see why they can't. The Monday night roster could take off for 2 months, while the Smackdown roster does double duty during that time and wrestles on Mondays and Fridays.

·
Registered
12,616 Posts
In another promotion, maybe, but it would be a VERY difficult balancing act and in the end the proverbial juice may not be worth the squeeze.

Or basically...

Wrestling is served best when organic storylines are not solely based on winning and losing, but on emotional and personal stakes.
^This.

As for WWe...

They simply don't have the attention span to pull it off.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I am talking a defending champion with a schedule and wins/losses. Of course it would still be scripted but at the end of a certain amount of matches (all of which are scheduled either every other week), the top 8 in each conference (pretend there are two conferences) would play in a playoff series, a Best of 7 in each round.

WWE could change match results based on who is getting over, but they could also push a wrestler to the moon with 60 wins (assume it's an 82 match season).

Wrestlemania would be the Final of the contest and April would be a one month vacation for everyone before going back to work in May.

This has never been done before in WWE or anywhere else and I wonder if it would make the product more interesting and that way each year there would be 1 champion per title. What do you think about a win/loss system with playoffs?
I've advocated for that in the past, with an end of the year King of the Ring tournament based upon the win/loss records that the wrestlers had. Only wrestlers who had been with the company from the start of the year would be eligible.

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,738 Posts
I'd be cool with a tournament to get the second WM main event but I don't like the idea of season stats, it's not really working in AEW, several people have gotten opportunities they didn't deserve according to record because the story took precedence.

Could you imagine someone unplanned getting over and having to throw away a hot match because their yearlong record didn't justify it? Take Drew McIntyre for instance, had he not won Rumble his record over the year would've disqualified him.

·
Registered
609 Posts

I completly disagree. Wrestling has always been about big stakes. Whether thats the rising megastar Hogan taking on the undefeated Andre the giant or the two top stars Austin and Rock competing for the belt at wm 17. Nearly all of the top matches ever were two guys built up, competing for a top prize. You can have personal stuff and story anyways. A prime example would be Conor/Khabib. It was for the title but had wrestling theatrics. Big win streaks matter. Thats why Takers streak was the draw of mania.

The problem these days is the lacking of this. OPS suggestion would be a breath of fresh air. Wrestler A becomes the first man ever to go undefeated for an entire season to take on wrestler b who has been the champ for 3 seasons. Sprinkle some personal stuff and good trashtalk. Thats a megamatch. Not Samoa Joe talking about being the daddy to Ajs kids.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having an official playoff season probably wouldn't work.

However having a wins loss record with points being earned the Lost based on that record and those points being used to determine the number one contender could have easily work. TNA did that somewhat with the bound for Glory series. WWE could easily do that on a larger scale, and since they decide winners and losers they would still be able to manufacture whatever records they.wanted, without it interfering with potential storylines.

I'm surprised they didn't do this already since Fox one of them to have a more sports like feel on SmackDown, and having a leaderboard and point system to determine the number one contender would be Very sport like

Perhaps 2 points being earned or lost for a victory or loss by pinfall or submission, and one point being earned or lost with a win or loss based on disqualification or count out.

Then they have the official announcement of the number one contender prior to each pay-per-view, with a certain week being considered this cutoff week where no more points can be earned or lost.

and if there is a tie they have a match to determine the number one contender as a tiebreaker.

·
Waiting for Kawato
839 Posts
In theory it'd work really well, there is no reason why it shouldn't work. It wouldn't work in the WWE because it's run by a guy who seems to change his mind about things week to week, and something like this would pretty much have to be at least in large part mapped out from the beginning in order to make it really work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts