Wrestling Forum banner

would Lost be regarded as one of the greatest shows if it wasn't for the ending?

• yes

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it was on Lost was one of the most talked about shows.But the majority of the people didn't like the ending .I was kinda sattisfied with the ending.For me it's still the greatest show but i know for most it isn't. So what you think, would Lost be regarded as the greatest show if it wasn't for the ending?or atleast one of the greatest?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I would have to say no. The thing I liked the most about LOST was that the writers attempted to create a great mythology and came pretty close to delivering. Show had a great start and I even liked the final season up until the finale. What bothered me most about the show was the way Locke's angle turned out. It was set up to be something epic and kind of felt flat towards the end. And Kate getting so many episodes focused on her was also annoying. I still consider it to be a very good show. But when you compare it to the other great shows out there it just doesn't seem to be too special to me.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
The Sopranos ending is fantastic.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
I regard it as one of the greatest shows of all time, I loved it.

Heck, I loved the ending. It all fit very perfectly. Everyone needed to be together to move on because they all had this connection, they all just had to realise it to make it happen. That coupled with the Jack death sequence it all combined to make a great and very fitting ending to LOST. Loved it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I did enjoy it but it wasn't so much the ending, as everything that came before it than ruined it. I mean the whole of season 5 was just terrible, the time travelling stuff. If they had ended it after season 3 (with an ending in palce of course) or had managed to maintain that level of writing, then it would definitely be on of the greatest ever.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I don't know why season 5 gets so much hate. I thought the time travelling was a good plot device to show some history of the island. The Incident was a great episode too. The island actually moving didn't seem right to me in season 4.

Also the reason most people hated the ending was because it was so hyped. The writers kept saying throughout the show's run that they had the ending already planned out (they didn't imo). I really feel they could have come up with something better than they actually did. Locke's end was a total letdown in the real world timeline. The man deserved to get a somewhat happy ending after all the shit he went through in his life. Him just being able to walk for a short while in between death and the afterlife didn't sit well with me.

·
22,784 Posts
I like all the seasons of Lost, with 3 probably being the weakest because there was a TON of random filler that didn't go anywhere or mean that much to the characters. Not their fault though, they kinda had to drag shit out for season 3 as they didn't know WHEN the network would let the show end. It was only after season 3 when they were told they had 3 more seasons only, and from there everything moved a lot faster and the back stories and shit had more meaning imo.

As for the ending... I hate it because it came out of nowhere basically. Season 1-5 were meaningless in the end, as they ONLY started setting up to THAT ending in season 6 with the "flash sideways". They created that question in season 6 and then ended the ENTIRE show with the answer. But what about all the fucking answer from the first 5 seasons? We got basically nothing.

·
40,604 Posts
It still has some of the best characters ever. The thing I don't like the most is they denied the island was Purgatory, then used that idea for the flash sideways. Their story got too big for them and they had no clue how to end it. No way did they know the ending save Jack dying in the same place he woke up after the crash. That should've been the ending, but they added the flash sideways as a stupid swerve gimmick the show didn't need.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
flash sideways made no sense, but gave some touching moments

scifi elements were nice but bottom line, what i liked about lost were as MrMister said, the characters were incredible

also, as for andy3000

hot damn

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Yup, her looks were about the only thing Evangeline Lilly brought to the show.

Wasn't Jack supposed to die in the pilot according to the writers? I remember reading that they wanted to get a big name actor as Jack and then have Smokey kill him in the beginning but ABC insisted that the character be kept alive.

·
40,604 Posts
Yeah, I read it was Michael Keaton that would've played Jack and Keaton was ready for it, but when the decision to keep Jack alive was made, Keaton backed out, not wanting to commit to anything long term.

·
Valar Morghulis
7,600 Posts
they confirmed it on the season 1 dvd's pretty sure.

it's definitely one of my favourite shows ever. it's obviously not THE GREATEST but it's still very good.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts