Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last good, well booked and creative storylines in WWE, that I recall were the early days of the Nexus and before that when DX were trying to build Legacy. Everything in-between just seems so forgettable and generic. As are many of the guys on the roster now. It's right that they should try to build guys like Kofi, Miz and John Morrison because you can't just go with the same guys in the main event all year and expect to keep people interested, but at the same time they have to be booked right, they have to have challenging characters that they can rise to and they have to be booked in a way that will make people care (HBK was one of the best at this I think - utterly flamboyant yet relatable to the ordinary guy in the crowd, you could see how hard he worked at both his in ring performance and his character, constantly challenging himself)

I wonder even just how much input the wrestlers themselves have with creative (both their own characters and in storylines) as they all seem rather dull and uninspiring. Too many guys on the roster who are no good on the mic nor at selling a rivalry to the audience.

Now I'm just a casual wrestling fan from across the Atlantic who doesn't post on here a whole lot (I lurk more than anything) and while a lot of creative ideas are ridiculed on here I also find that there are a lot of good ideas too. One of the positives of this site is the Be the Booker section. It's positive because here we have guys not just moaning about the product - like me - but they are offering an alternative. They are saying they feel they can do better and here's how.

My point is, WWE have been in decline for maybe a couple of years, ratings are down, PPV buy rates are down, share price is down and releases are expected. Vince needs to halt the slide but IMO he doesn't trust his creative team to get them out of it, and I think Vince has had his day and needs to retire. Despite this, WWE has no competition and is still by far the Market leader. Many many people, it appears, will remain fans of WWE almost to the point of no matter what, so would it really hurt to seek out the most creative, those with a raft of good ideas for rivalries and storylines and give them creative control for a while?

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
:lmao :lmao :lmao

Yes. A guy who knows wrestling needs to be in control. Not fans, not Freddie Prinze, Jr. I mean guys like Jericho, Triple H, Dean Malenko, etc.

·
Banned
3,457 Posts
^ That is so unbelievably perfect.

I could just imagine someone from the internet sitting in on a creative meeting for the WWE. Would be a laugh to see. Okay guiz, let's do EDGE/CHRISTIAN TABLEZ LADDERZ CHAIRZ, BRING BACK THE ROCK, BROCK AND SOCK, HAVE ALBERTO DEL RIO PIN TAKER CLEAN AT WRESTLEMANIA AND FIRE JOHN CENA AND RANDY ORTON.

·
Banned
4,120 Posts

I could just imagine someone from the internet sitting in on a creative meeting for the WWE. Would be a laugh to see. Okay guiz, let's do EDGE/CHRISTIAN TABLEZ LADDERZ CHAIRZ, BRING BACK THE ROCK, BROCK AND SOCK, HAVE ALBERTO DEL RIO PIN TAKER CLEAN AT WRESTLEMANIA AND FIRE JOHN CENA AND RANDY ORTON.
:lmao

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would you think it was a good idea to let someone with a ton a frequent-flyer miles who rides on airplanes a lot PILOT the fucking aircraft? I think not.
Hardly the same thing. What qualifications did Brian Gewirtz have before becoming lead writer for Raw?

All I'm saying is a lot of people online moan about generic characters, boring matches, badly booked matches and rivalries, lack of hype etc but some actually offer an alternative and some of them have good ideas. Would it really hurt to use them?

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
Gewirtz wrote for a few TV shows. That counts as a "qualification" I think.

Reactions: The_Gizzame™

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
Hardly the same thing. What qualifications did Brian Gewirtz have before becoming lead writer for Raw?

All I'm saying is a lot of people online moan about generic characters, boring matches, badly booked matches and rivalries, lack of hype etc but some actually offer an alternative and some of them have good ideas. Would it really hurt to use them?
It would hurt WWE because no one that posts on these boards has any fucking clue how to succeed in the wrestling business. If we did, we would probably be in a corporate office in Connecticut instead of pissing our lives away here.

And despite how much I just love flying on airplanes, if it were up to me to land the fucking thing, I would most-likely kill about 200 people in a cornfield somewhere.

Leave the creative control to the wrestlers and the people with real experience. Not BTB posters and SvR sensations.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok look, I've put this in a way that left me open for ridicule. Fine, I accept that.

I'm just saying there are people online who have good ideas, good creative ideas. Not just from this site but people with years of experience studying the business and there are people online with knowledge of how the business works and are also bemoaning the lack of hype, quality storylines and proper building of characters. Can we really not get some of these people together to build some memorable storylines and characters. Are we really saying there are no wrestling fans out there who know what the fans want?

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
The fans know what they want. Not what the masses want from a business perspective.

The idea that a wrestling fan could just take control of the company and do a wonderful job based on what entertains them personally is ludicrous.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts

Yep what the IWC has been waiting for since 2005

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Yep what the IWC has been waiting for since 2005
I'm not sure about firing Cena these days, maybe up to 2 years ago, but doesn't seem to be hated be the IWC, compared to Orton.

Anyhow some of the ideas people would come up with if that would be the case would just scream Russo.

·
Registered
248 Posts
yes it would hurt look at vince russo helps kill just about everybodys favourite company then writes crap after after crap for tna

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
I'm not sure about firing Cena these days, maybe up to 2 years ago, but doesn't seem to be hated be the IWC, compared to Orton.

Anyhow some of the ideas people would come up with if that would be the case would just scream Russo.
yeah the IWC booking like Russo since 2000.

·
Dios perdona, los Perros... NO!
3,916 Posts
No, because the IWC doesn't know how to cater for WWE's target market and instead will make a small percentage of WWE fans happy and run WWE into the ground.
Maybe some people shouldn't be so selfish and think WWE is doing wrong, and that nothing is "good" just because a few people on the internet think that way.

·
Registered
13,215 Posts
An IWCers with creative control in a billion dollar company? Dear god... baton down the fking hatches.

·
Registered
934 Posts
there are actual writers and other qualified individuals that have watched wrestling avidly that can fill the position im sure

1 - 20 of 85 Posts