Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Re: Would it be better for AEW's matches to just be no DQ.

Seems as though they have leniency comparable to NJPW. I like it a lot.

·
Registered
414 Posts

Seems like a perfect chance to benefit from the situation. Whether it was planned or they fucked up they have the chance to build this into something that can act as AEW identity. It takes time breaking from the norm. It does have to make sense though. Tully should have been thrown out or better still they should have planned a spot where Mox could get his hands on Tully while Spears was down and the ref just says go ahead, have at it.

They have some wriggle time to work out if its just lazy writing or if they can make this something their own. If they didn't plan this if I was them I would grab on to this opportunity and run with the ball.

·
Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
4,922 Posts

I agree with the ‘no’ votes.
Incompetent/distracted reffing has always been a staple in establishing heel behavior and getting the fans more engaged and excited in matches. It just works at helping to get heels over. And AEW has been pretty good so far at distracting refs without making them look like complete buffoons. You need at least the threat of a DQ so there are rules to follow — and to break. You can’t take that out of the equation.

·
Registered
24,526 Posts

No.

I watch a promotion like NJPW, and I think they have down fairly well. You can fight outside the ring if you want, but once the referee starts the count you better get back in the ring.

You can ignore the referee and bend the rules a little bit, but go too far the referee will not count the pin for you or possibly DQ you.

Things like that. You can bend the rules a bit and allow for some discretion, but there needs to be a line. I love Jon Moxley, and I loved his beatdown last week on Omega. And because it was Mox, I forgave the referee not calling a DQ.

But in the future, if an outside competitor attacks another competitor during a match, that should be a DQ. There needs to be at least some rules for things to matter, IMO.

·
Banned
884 Posts
No DQ matches shouldn’t be the norm. It’ll just dilute the product. Referee inconsistency is fine, as different matches have different referees. They could make of point of giving certain referees specific characteristics regarding their refereeing - some could be known as lenient, others more ‘by the book’. The referees discretion explanation is a good one.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

Ofcourse not.. this is one of those situations when fans are thinking too hard. There are shitty and inconsistent calls in pro sports all the time, so why is it too far fetched to believe it could also happen in a fake sport?

But as always we fans overthink shit for absolutely no reason

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts

While referee discretion does have some clear logical reasons to exist, do you think they should just go no DQ? Because right now the reffing seems all over the place. You had the one ref stop Nyla from hitting Riho with the chair and Pac hiding his low blow from the ref. But those good bits of reffing and heel work seem weird when you then have refs not even bothering to count folk out, letting Jimmy Havoc continuously bite Darby, and of course the original main event.

So do you think it would be better off for them to just be a no DQ company. Because after some off what we saw already unless it's something extta crazy, future DQs and countouts would just feel weird. And the head cannon of "well you don't want him stopping the match do you" also can only go so far.
Its like you have never watched wrestling before.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts

Refs just need to do a slightly more competent job of officiating. Eliminating DQ finishes isn't the answer, that just limits the number of ways you can finish a match and you'd have to think that disqualification and count out finishes are actually preferable for a lot of matches...

·
Registered
22,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Its like you have never watched wrestling before.
You know damn well not calling that type of interference Mox did on Omega, Refs blatantly ignoring a manager they saw interfer, and not even beginning to count for a ring out aren't common place things in American Pro wrestling. Stop the reach

21 - 29 of 29 Posts