Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While referee discretion does have some clear logical reasons to exist, do you think they should just go no DQ? Because right now the reffing seems all over the place. You had the one ref stop Nyla from hitting Riho with the chair and Pac hiding his low blow from the ref. But those good bits of reffing and heel work seem weird when you then have refs not even bothering to count folk out, letting Jimmy Havoc continuously bite Darby, and of course the original main event.

So do you think it would be better off for them to just be a no DQ company. Because after some off what we saw already unless it's something extta crazy, future DQs and countouts would just feel weird. And the head cannon of "well you don't want him stopping the match do you" also can only go so far.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Re: Would it be better for AEW's matches to just be no DQ.

Nah. DQs should exist. I like the fact that the refs are more lenient. They won't call a DQ or end the match for small infractions. For example Tully got involved in that Mox Spears match and the ref saw it but he never called off the match. The ref will call a DQ at his own discretion or for serious offenses not petty interferences.

Reactions: TommyWCECM

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,374 Posts
I do think they need to tone down some of the referees ignoring blatant cheating or letting it go. I liked the havoc vs darby match but yeah havoc probarly did the biting once too much. I think it was to put over his character but yeah it makes the ref seem ineffective. At least in the main the eef did not see swagger attacking Page and Dustin.

·
Registered
22,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I do think they need to tone down some of the referees ignoring blatant cheating or letting it go. I liked the havoc vs darby match but yeah havoc probarly did the biting once too much. I think it was to put over his character but yeah it makes the ref seem ineffective. At least in the main the eef did not see swagger attacking Page and Dustin.
Yeah the biting is one where it's just weird. I don't get no countouts but I can see the reasoning as "hey you want to fight outside go head". But on the flip a competitor blatantly ignoring your command shouldn't be overlooked. Blatant interference from a manager should at least get the manager booted.

·
Registered
22,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Nah. DQs should exist. I like the fact that the refs are more lenient. They won't call a DQ or end the match for small infractions. For example Tully got involved in that Mox Spears match and the ref saw it but he never called off the match. The ref will call a DQ at his own discretion or for serious offenses not petty interferences.
But as JR said why not just boot Tully from ringside. Then it's also what would you consider petty interference? Because if Mox can take out Kenny from an entire match, then how much interefence has to happen to call a DQ. I can see not wanting to be calling off matches too much. But they run the risk of giving so much leeway, that when they do need to call a match it'll come off as bull shit. Some line in the Sand should be made by the time full gear is open. But from the ppvs and now the reffing has been super loose lol

·
Registered
6,253 Posts

I think our assumption is ‘Their rules = WWE rules’

Where reality is more like AEW rules = NJPW rules

I’ve seen similar stuff in NJPW and it did not bother me / and it doesn’t bother me now

Except the 8-man tag stuff where it is almost tornado rules - that fucks me off here and in NJPW

·
Blaze is Elite
2,874 Posts

When I did this like, survey that AEW or whatever put out about the show, one of the things I did mention for something they can work on was that, or at least put it over on TV to why this is happening, and how the ref doesn't want to throw out an important match or something.

But I'm sure if it went to far, I'd hope the ref would DQ someone. Like if a brawl just broke out in the middle of a match with everyone involved plus a few who weren't in the match , or if someone started to beat someone with a weapon over and over again, etc...that they'd call for a DQ. If not that might be a problem. I don't want to see matches end in DQ, but I also don't want to see a match get out of hand and the ref just doesn't do shit.

·
Registered
22,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I think our assumption is ‘Their rules = WWE rules’

Where reality is more like AEW rules = NJPW rules

I’ve seen similar stuff in NJPW and it did not bother me / and it doesn’t bother me now

Except the 8-man tag stuff where it is almost tornado rules - that fucks me off here and in NJPW
Idk anything about NJPW rules as I've watched a handful of events. But I do know even outside of WWE there's a pretty common place ruleset in American pro wrestling, to the point where if the rules are different it's usually explicitly explained.

For me it seems like referee discretion is being used as a mini crutch to just do whatever spots they want to do. Though outside of last week's main event and the biting, nothing has been too ridiculous.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts

Idk anything about NJPW rules as I've watched a handful of events. But I do know even outside of WWE there's a pretty common place ruleset in American pro wrestling, to the point where if the rules are different it's usually explicitly explained.

For me it seems like referee discretion is being used as a mini crutch to just do whatever spots they want to do. Though outside of last week's main event and the biting, nothing has been too ridiculous.
Lets say it like this - in the G1 Mox used a chair right in front of the ref and it was ‘ref’s discretion’

A table as well

Usually, whatever happens outside the ring is outside of the ref’s control - which thinking about it, is how it used to be in the 80s when I was a kid

The biting though... yeah, not sure about that - as it happened in-ring. But ref did count 5

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts

I liked how ECW had no DQ. But it did lead to a lot of interference and fuckery. I think you need the option. Nobody wants a DQ but it's a great tool for heels.

·
Registered
22,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Lets say it like this - in the G1 Mox used a chair right in front of the ref and it was ‘ref’s discretion’

A table as well

Usually, whatever happens outside the ring is outside of the ref’s control - which thinking about it, is how it used to be in the 80s when I was a kid

The biting though... yeah, not sure about that - as it happened in-ring. But ref did count 5
See to me shit like the top is kind ND of nonsensical, but I guess I'll just have to get used to it. But I'm guessing if Mox got away with that then DQs in NJPW are like 1 to 2 times a year thing.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts

Yeah - DQs are very rare in NJPW

‘Let them fight’ and all that

I think they’re trying to blend WCW, ECW and NJPW somewhat - some of it may irk guys, which is 100% understandable - especially since the ‘rules’ have been set by WWE for so long

But I hope you guys get used to it - I’m not seeing a change any time soon from what I’ve seen so far

·
Registered
2,201 Posts

If you watch boxing some refs let clinching go more than others.

In MMA some let them grapple on the ground while others force them to stand up.

In football they don’t always throw flags, some let contact go

In baseball some umpires have wider or smaller strike zones

Basketball

Soccer

You get the point. It brings more intriguing aspects to matches because they may have a ref who lets things slide or may have one who’s more firm.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts

Nah it's good as it is. JR on commentary was indeed bringing up your points also said that the fans wouldn't like a double count out. So the ref did the count when Mox was actually damn near out cold trying to get back in the ring rather than both men being fighting outside the ring forgetting they got to get back in.

But I agree, they can maybe work on being a little more strict in some aspects of the ref's duties. But I'm cool with how it is atm.

·
Premium Member
44,019 Posts

Yeah they need to have more defined rules in this department.

You can't call yourself the sports show and then ignore the rules.

I've advocated for them releasing a rule book and then sticking to it.

One way to get around fuckery is to give the referee leeway to give "Warnings" for outside interference, so the first or second time won't result in a DQ, but if the heels keep pushing it, then throw the match out.

DQs and Countouts are valuable and need to happen once in a while just so fans know they can happen. Its hard to get invested in the out of the ring countout when it never ends a match, and its hard to get into the dramatic tension of outside interference when there is no chance of a DQ.

One of my favorite finishes AEW has done so far was the Darby/Cody time limit draw. They stuck to their rule, didn't cave to an overtime, and showed that time limit draws can happen. Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts