Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Most of the guys who came into WWE/WCW already had an amateur wrestling background, including Kurt Angle. They all busted their asses off in the years when they were young kids. That's why they were better wrestlers and more experienced working in the ring than Goldberg was.
Yet Goldberg outdrew virtually everyone, aside from Rock and Austin. The point was to make money, which Bill did in abundance. Bill wrestled fine, the crowd loved him. That's all there is to it.
Its not his fault WCW management was in chaos. His career was better then most will have in an entire lifetime.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I know he did, but please try to understand what I am trying to say over here.

I bet my money that if Billed wrestled instead of playing football back in his young years, he would be about on Brock Lesnar and Kurt Angle's level and many people wouldn't be criticizing his wrestling skills and lack of in-ring experience today. (Lesnar's wrestling is equivalent to Kurt Angle's according to their interviews)

Goldberg had the potential to be a pro wrestler aside from being a pro football player. He wasn't considered a "pro wrestler" even though he was in professional wrestling.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Well Austin wasn't cleared to wrestle at XX, Taker was already involved in a feud with Kane from the previous year & granted Angle would have been good, but why bother when Goldberg was already on the way out with sour grapes in his mouth.
Yeah, sure, I'm just mentioning the rumoured plans from when Goldberg first signed (which was before Austin's WM19 incident). I like looking back on what the dirtshirts predict; they very rarely get it right.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
I know he did, but please try to understand what I am trying to say over here.

I bet my money that if Billed wrestled instead of playing football back in his young years, he would be about on Brock Lesnar and Kurt Angle's level and many people wouldn't be criticizing his wrestling skills and lack of in-ring experience today. (Lesnar's wrestling is equivalent to Kurt Angle's according to their interviews)

Goldberg had the potential to be a pro wrestler aside from being a pro football player. He wasn't considered a "pro wrestler" even though he was in professional wrestling.
Perhaps, but he wouldn't get over in the same way he did. A lot of Goldberg's explosiveness, stems from his Pro-Football training. That's why his spear looked so devastating. Take away that, Goldberg becomes just another big guy.

Brock and Kurt had intangibles you couldn't teach. They would have become megastars with or without amateur wrestling.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Perhaps, but he wouldn't get over in the same way he did. A lot of Goldberg's explosiveness, stems from his Pro-Football training. That's why his spear looked so devastating. Take away that, Goldberg becomes just another big guy.

Brock and Kurt had intangibles you couldn't teach. They would have become megastars with or without amateur wrestling.
Brock Lesnar had an explosive finisher called the F5 and it didn't come from Football training, did it?

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Brock Lesnar had an explosive finisher called the F5 and it didn't come from Football training, did it?
Missed what I was saying. Lesnar is a freak, unmatched by any big-man this generation. Goldberg's was unique in his general explosiveness around the ring. His spear's ferocity derived directly from his pro-football training. There's a reason it is still unmatched by other wrestlers who have taken it up as a finish. Lesnar could do some great power moves, but Goldberg was like a buzzsaw. Without pro-football, Goldberg likely doesn't have the same impact.

It would be like taking the kickboxing background out of RVD.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
It's a surprise to see that Goldberg can even get over with 100% of the crowd even with the lack of wrestling skills. Just imagine he got wrestling skills before that, he would be AT LEAST on the level of Brock Lesnar when it comes to who's the better man. or maybe just a bit beneath him. But overall, Goldberg would still be the bigger draw if we compared his WCW days to Lesnar's WWE days.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
It's a surprise to see that Goldberg can even get over with 100% of the crowd even with the lack of wrestling skills. Just imagine he got wrestling skills before that, he would be AT LEAST on the level of Brock Lesnar when it comes to who's the better man. or maybe just a bit beneath him.
Goldberg had wrestling skills. Just because he's not Lesnar doesn't mean he couldn't work. Trying to compare the two, is apples to oranges. No heavyweight in modern day WWE could work to the level of Lesnar, I include Taker in this. Even with an amateur background, he would not be as good as Brock. Swagger has similar credentials, yet he is nowhere near Brock in talent-level.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Goldberg can only choose either one: Football or Wrestling when he was a kid. He can't do both. Not even Lesnar can handle two sports at the same time. No athletes can train for two sports as it would be too much pressure on a person.

I'll also bet you that Undertaker's physical strength was nowhere near prime Goldberg's either. WWE is trying to make Ryback the next Goldberg, and the chances of that happening is as slim as a turtle being able to walk fast.

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
I feel like football is more physically demanding than amateur wrestling. And I don't even like football. And if Swagger has shown us anything it's that good amateurs don't always make good pros. Brock is also one dimensional character wise. He can only be a heel. I think Goldberg would've been good at both.

·
Registered
844 Posts
He had enough wrestling ability to get by. I don't think a bit more would have made much difference. He got into it late, had a great little run and got out. I think the issue with him was he didn't really want to do it anymore and that's why the run was so short.

I still can't believe the WWE wouldn't pay the money to get him in WWE for the Invasion. The Austin/Goldberg match alone would have made them their money back and then some.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts