Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Austin and Rock would NEVER have gotten to the level they were because the IWC wanted their vanilla midget geeks at top. Austin would be booked like superman and Rock would have been burying all the up and comers.

Judging by the fact the IWC creams themself over Johnny Hungry.. I bet it legit would be Essa Rios they would be calling for the title to be put on!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Instances where fans gave Austin some flack.

Late 1999 - Fans were really sick of Austin always being the top guy, fans were much more into The Rock at this time

Spring 2002 - Austin's What gimmick had grown pretty old and he was given really awful storylines with the watered down nWo

Spring 2003 - Came back to a thunderous pop, but quickly wore off as he didn't really change his character from the way it was in 2002, in fact it was more watered down and felt like more of a nostalgia run then anything, and most fans were cheering for Rock over him at WM19 since Rock changed a lot since 2002 with his Hollywood heel persona

·
Registered
146 Posts
As a young man at that time I remember having conversations with my good buddy that Austin was better as an IC champ than a world champ. I just enjoyed that raw character more. I always felt after his early 1st world title run he got played out very quickly. But the thing was, he was still super super SUPER over with the more casual fans for a long time.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
So I’m watching Royal Rumble 2001 and Austin, after getting bloodied by HHH, returns to the ring 2 minutes later, no sells his beating, and goes on to win the rumble.

A lot of Austin’s booking during his prime (98-01) revolved around him overcoming the odds, he was in the majority of main events, the entire show revolved around him (justifiably), and he rarely lost clean. I wasn’t around the internet during then, but obviously fans loved it going by crowd reactions.

I’m wondering how a Stone Cold in his prime would be received today with the exact same booking. Online fans in general, especially since social media became so big, are quick to criticise wrestlers and their booking. Roman has been accused of being Vince’s boy for years, Cena often no sold and never lost, and even now, Drew faces criticism for “superman booking”.

Do you think fans today would criticise Austin if he was wrestling in his prime right now? Would he be called Vince’s boy, superman, etc, or would fans look past that because of how much a bigger star he is.
Austin's rise was organic. Would people have been booed if Daniel Bryan had won the Royal Rumble in 2014? No - because there was an organic desire to see (x) wrestler on top.

If Rocky Miavia - minus the character change - had been pushed into the main event of WrestleMania 14 he would have been booed.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Its the nature of most internet fans to complain about the current wrestling product. No matter what's presented to them they almost always want something different. The majority of them are rarely happy with the product for extended periods of time. So yes, they would complain about Austin if he were in his prime now and on top.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I wanted Kane to win, but I understand that there was no way that Austin didn't headline WM.
Thats my favorite Royal Rumble ever! I am quite high on Kane myself, but tbh he didnt really need to win it because that destruction he left in that match was enough, Im ok with the result of Austin winning that even though you can say I am more high on Kane than Austin.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Thats my favorite Royal Rumble ever! I am quite high on Kane myself, but tbh he didnt really need to win it because that destruction he left in that match was enough, Im ok with the result of Austin winning that even though you can say I am more high on Kane than Austin.
Yeah you're right. It had everything, from comedy spots with Drew Carey, hardcore fights and the normal stuff. The bit where Drew tried to give money to Kane was like Friday 13th Part 6 when a woman tried to give money to Jason. That and 92 are my faves.

·
Registered
192 Posts
So I’m watching Royal Rumble 2001 and Austin, after getting bloodied by HHH, returns to the ring 2 minutes later, no sells his beating, and goes on to win the rumble.

A lot of Austin’s booking during his prime (98-01) revolved around him overcoming the odds, he was in the majority of main events, the entire show revolved around him (justifiably), and he rarely lost clean. I wasn’t around the internet during then, but obviously fans loved it going by crowd reactions.

I’m wondering how a Stone Cold in his prime would be received today with the exact same booking. Online fans in general, especially since social media became so big, are quick to criticise wrestlers and their booking. Roman has been accused of being Vince’s boy for years, Cena often no sold and never lost, and even now, Drew faces criticism for “superman booking”.

Do you think fans today would criticise Austin if he was wrestling in his prime right now? Would he be called Vince’s boy, superman, etc, or would fans look past that because of how much a bigger star he is.
Most of the answers have been "yes" but I don't think so....not many anyway.

The fans genuinely believed in Austin and wanted him to do well, I think it would stick now too. Look at Moxley, people actually like him a lot even though he is booked better than Cena was lol

21 - 33 of 33 Posts