Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m watching Royal Rumble 2001 and Austin, after getting bloodied by HHH, returns to the ring 2 minutes later, no sells his beating, and goes on to win the rumble.

A lot of Austin’s booking during his prime (98-01) revolved around him overcoming the odds, he was in the majority of main events, the entire show revolved around him (justifiably), and he rarely lost clean. I wasn’t around the internet during then, but obviously fans loved it going by crowd reactions.

I’m wondering how a Stone Cold in his prime would be received today with the exact same booking. Online fans in general, especially since social media became so big, are quick to criticise wrestlers and their booking. Roman has been accused of being Vince’s boy for years, Cena often no sold and never lost, and even now, Drew faces criticism for “superman booking”.

Do you think fans today would criticise Austin if he was wrestling in his prime right now? Would he be called Vince’s boy, superman, etc, or would fans look past that because of how much a bigger star he is.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Go back and watch those matches,segments,promo and you will realize that the fans were passionate about wrestling unlike nowadays where everybody takes a cell phone to the arena to criticize everything wwe is trying to do .
As for your question ,well the answer is no because the IWC will complain a lot about it no matter what because they believe complaining makes them smarter and the booking of the badass stone cold Steve Austin will be boring ,annoying and lame . imagine Austin cutting a childish scripted promo ,he will not be a badass but another p.g era super boring over pushed lord and he won't even last long being over with the fans ,in fact there can never be a stone cold in this era.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
His gimmick would be so watered down his Daisy Dukes would get turned into a thong to entice an additional demo.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Judging by how much people shit on cody and moxley as soon as they got booked strong then I'd say they would hate Austin booking in 2021.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Austin was a once in a lifetime performer who got organically over (was not shoved down people's throats like your Rollins and Reigns of the world), and he would have accomplished this feat in today's era as well. He would have been a megastar even now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
There are old forums from the Attitude Era, I used to check them from time to time, and I saw a lot of people shitting on him for his booking.

Personally I didn't mind his booking, I enjoyed his run as the top guy.

·
The Babyface of WF
Turned Heel
14,856 Posts
Questionable because fans are jaded as hell even compared to those days I bet there would probably be a fair amount of fans whining about it so much it wouldn't make a difference whether it was Austin or Cena but like I said it's questionable.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Judging by how much people shit on cody and moxley as soon as they got booked strong then I'd say they would hate Austin booking in 2021.
Neither of those guys are Austin. Everyone knows Cody is inorganically pushing himself on top and Mox is being pushed because he was a top WWE guy.

Closest in terms of overness to Austin in recent years was Bryan into Wrestlemania 30. Felt organic and real his rise and most were behind it. So I think majority would be behind Austin in 2021. Austin opposite heel HHH and Reigns yes I could see him being massively over still with 98-99 booking.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
everything about pro wrestling sucks these days. including the fans. the fans today would ruin any of those guys from the AE or even before.
those guys are not on Austins level and they should not be booked as strong as him. they might be top guys in a promotion but who the fuck honestly wants to see those guys beat everybody?

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
The slim majority would have welcomed it. It was perfect for the wrestling culture, atmosphere, lifestyle of the late 90's....and part of that still exists today, but it would be somewhat watered down. There are ways it could still work even in today's wrestling climate.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Go back and watch those matches,segments,promo and you will realize that the fans were passionate about wrestling unlike nowadays where everybody takes a cell phone to the arena to criticize everything wwe is trying to do .
As for your question ,well the answer is no because the IWC will complain a lot about it no matter what because they believe complaining makes them smarter and the booking of the badass stone cold Steve Austin will be boring ,annoying and lame . imagine Austin cutting a childish scripted promo ,he will not be a badass but another p.g era super boring over pushed lord and he won't even last long being over with the fans ,in fact there can never be a stone cold in this era.

They would probably be calling for the title to be put on fucking Essa Rios or something

·
Registered
8,209 Posts
Austin was a once in a lifetime performer who got organically over (was not shoved down people's throats like your Rollins and Reigns of the world), and he would have accomplished this feat in today's era as well. He would have been a megastar even now.
First of all he wasn't organically over because that isn't even a thing. What does it even mean? That someone got over who the company was doing nothing to promote? If that's the case Austin doesn't fit the bill. A bona fide star in Bret Hart lobbied for Austin backstage in 96 and also literally called him the best wrestler in the wwf at the time on camera. That started off one of the greatest feuds of all time in which Bret put over Austin as a star like barely any people have to that extent. He simply was not over big before an established star got him there and that's a fact.

I'm not taking anything away from Austin, I just don't believe in this organically over stuff.

For my 2c, it would be a completely different story now, especially in this place. He'd be 50/50 support on here most likely by the end of 98. He undoubtedly had what's now known as 'Superman booking' which people don't like on here after about 6 months.

If you're talking in today's climate with that booking, with fans in arenas, yes he'd be a great champion but no way molten lava hot the way he was back in the day. Back then the fans were still interested in good guy v bad guy. Today the fans are all about who is and isn't being pushed and watching the 'performance' in the ring.

·
Registered
13,279 Posts
First of all he wasn't organically over because that isn't even a thing. What does it even mean?
There seem to be a couple of ways to look at it.

One way is it seems to be a fancy, if contrived, way of saying worked their way up the card, or "ladder", or even paid their dues.

Got over in the undercard: check
Got over in the midcard: check
Got over in the main event: check
Got over in the face of the company spot: check

Another might be growing their fan base gradually over time opposed to someone who's taken out of obscurity or paired with a known act, put in the main event, and has fans told to cheer for them without any context or build.

A last one would simply be fans cheer for them because they "want to" not because they're "told to" but that could mean practically anything.

I'm sure everyone who uses it has their own definition and I'm sure that definition changed depending on the context and what the user wants to accomplish... but those are three possible definitions I could think of.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Considering Austin's elite talent and his versatility, I think even with today's crap stop start booking, I do not see any reason why he would not be the top star in today's wwe. Comparing him to the likes of Roman and Drew is unfair to these two guys because lets face it, in no aspect of being a pro wrestler are they anywhere close to Steve Austin.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Neither of those guys are Austin. Everyone knows Cody is inorganically pushing himself on top and Mox is being pushed because he was a top WWE guy.

Closest in terms of overness to Austin in recent years was Bryan into Wrestlemania 30. Felt organic and real his rise and most were behind it. So I think majority would be behind Austin in 2021. Austin opposite heel HHH and Reigns yes I could see him being massively over still with 98-99 booking.
It depends on how Austin will be booked. For a fact Austin of pg era will not be the same as that of the attitude era and we don't know if fans give a dime about this tribal chef gimmick roman is pulling off

·
Registered
411 Posts
Cody is not on Elias level ,don't ever compare him to Austin again.he is the only one who sees himself as a big deal but in reality he is an average midcarder at best

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
If you're talking about on the internet? I think it was either WhatCulture or one of the wrestling YouTube channels that actually showed comments on forums from the Attitude Era. You had posters talking about how overrated and over pushed Stone Cold, and The Rock were so things wouldn't change online.

The live audience is different. If Stone Cold was booked like he was in the 90s, I could see him still getting over. But if he's booked how Becky or KO were during their anti-authority angle, I can see that hurting his character. Modern WWE doesn't seem to understand what got Austin over during his feud with Mr.McMahon.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Austin and Rock would NEVER have gotten to the level they were because the IWC wanted their vanilla midget geeks at top. Austin would be booked like superman and Rock would have been burying all the up and comers.

·
Not as much as you...BROTHER!
590 Posts
Yes because that's exactly what happened back then. Forums have been around for a LONG time, you can even find discussions on the Google archives of people shitting on Hulk Hogan in the late 80's/early 90's.

As someone who was on forums in the late 00's, Austin was shit on then by many...it's no different than it's been since any of you have been on this forum. No matter how popular a guy is, there's always gonna be a crowd that hates them and their booking.

The Austin/Rock debates were endless...hell there was a guy on this very forum I would argue with just 4-6 years ago about who was the bigger draw.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts