Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And assuming if he were still to retire when he did, how would fans think of him instead?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
No.

Imagine Bryan wins the title at Summerslam 2013 clean and goes on to have a long title reign, fans would've never gotten behind him like they did because of the Authority storyline of holding him down. Bryan's legacy is his 2013-14 underdog run from Summerslam till Wrestlemania, that's what most fans will remember him for.

·
it's a tarp!
7,228 Posts
Yes.. I do.

Pushing a guy the vast majority of fans liked, not have the rug pulled from under his feet, built as a guy who would go to the limit and not back down, a fighting champion.

I see no problem with this at all.

Fans liked Bryan way before the Orton debacle, I really don't see that changing.

·
Registered
28,047 Posts
When did WWE ever bury him outside of the 18 seconds thing which ended up getting him more over?

They put him with Kane in Team Hell No who basically got the most TV time of anyone else on the the roster. He was constantly in the World/WWE title picture in 2011. In 2013 they took advantage of his popularity to the point where he beat Cena clean at Summerslam.

The only thing they did wrong was try to pass off Batista as the conquering hero when Bryan was clearly the biggest face they had. But even that's not burying, that's just stupidity.

They didn't do right by him at times, but they did not bury him.

·
it's a tarp!
7,228 Posts
It all started at Wrestlemania 28, so no, I don't think he would have gotten that over if it wasn't for those 18 seconds.
That event was more the collective of fans realizing that Bryan's run was over, and he was now destined to a massive depush.

But, the fans were just not ready to see that, as Bryan was hugely over and fans in fact wanted to see him in a much bigger role, and as such pushed back hard against the WWE.

·
Premium Member
38,763 Posts
When did WWE ever bury him outside of the 18 seconds thing which ended up getting him more over?

They put him with Kane in Team Hell No who basically got the most TV time of anyone else on the the roster. He was constantly in the World/WWE title picture in 2011. In 2013 they took advantage of his popularity to the point where he beat Cena clean at Summerslam.

The only thing they did wrong was try to pass off Batista as the conquering hero when Bryan was clearly the biggest face they had. But even that's not burying, that's just stupidity.

They didn't do right by him at times, but they did not bury him.
LOL They buried him all the time, Vince did everything he could do to bury DB, until he finally gave him.

the whole team hell no was a rib against DB to bury him but it backfired on Vince and DB turned lemons into lemonade with that.

I love how some people on this forum like to pretend DB was not buried all the time. Even after he won the title it was short lived. Vince is still burying him now because he won't let him wrestle because he does not want his Golden Boy Reigns overshadowed.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since I didn't give my own opinion, I'll give it now. I genuinely don't think Bryan would get as over as he did without getting depushed. A huge part of Bryan's popularity was that he became the outlet for fans to rebel with and obviously without the yes chant he would be significantly less over. Its not that I don't think Bryan was talented, its just he was the type of talent to easily get looked over and stay locked as midcard guys. And then when I look at the current roster where I see 2 or 3 guys like AJ not as over as Bryan, it makes me think that maybe Bryan really was just really lucky that circumstances gave him the fan support he had.

Reactions: egnuldt

·
Baby Yoda
30,260 Posts
Nope, the storyline got casuals invested. You could tell the support was slowly falling off once he finally got the title.

Fans felt ripped off with the Bryan story and thought he was being 'screwed over' by the WWE.

·
Registered
28,047 Posts
LOL They buried him all the time, Vince did everything he could do to bury DB, until he finally gave him.

the whole team hell no was a rib against DB to bury him but it backfired on Vince and DB turned lemons into lemonade with that.

I love how some people on this forum like to pretend DB was not buried all the time. Even after he won the title it was short lived. Vince is still burying him now because he won't let him wrestle because he does not want his Golden Boy Reigns overshadowed.
Love how you ignore everything I just said where I pointed out they did not bury him. Again, the World Title Picture all of 2012. Gave him a bunch of TV time throughout 2012-2013 with Kane. Beat Cena clean at Summerslam 2013. Yeah, what the did going into WM 30 was stupid, but it wasn't a burial.

"LOL he was buried." Learn what buried means. Buried is what they did to a guy like Damien Sandow. Bryan was never treated like that. They made mistakes, but outside of WM 28, they didn't bury him.

And for the 1000th time, Bryan ain't wrestling now because they don't want to be liable for him getting injured again. And part of the reason he ain't wresting now is his own fault because he admitted publicly how many concussions he's had in his career. Vince is guilty of many things. But if Bryan were healthy, he would absolutely be using him. He wouldn't put the title on him. He wouldn't be the guy. But he would be making money off of him.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Even then it was obvious from day one he was an undesirable so that underdog aspect was there the entire time. I don't know. It's impossible to say.

·
Baby Yoda
30,260 Posts
Even then it was obvious from day one he was an undesirable so that underdog aspect was there the entire time. I don't know. It's impossible to say.
If Bryan didn't have the MITB cashed in on him and he carried the title to the Royal Rumble, there would have been no yes movement. The WWE inadvertently booked Bryan into the main event of WM by having Orton cash in on him at Summerslam.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
35,355 Posts
Maybe not AS over, because there were plenty of vocal fans who went out of their way to sabotage the show due to him being purposefully held back, but he'd still be super over. They're doing the same thing with Sami Zayn and no one seems to care. That just goes to show you can't recreate Daniel Bryan's impact.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts