Wrestling Forum banner

Would Cena be the star he is today if The Rock never left?

• Yes

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 66.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cena's main gripe with the Rock during this feud has been with The Rock saying he loves the WWE and then doesn't show up to Raw every week. But what if the Rock never left in 03? Let's say The Rock decided to stick around for the past 7-8 years, be a full time WWE employee and not go into Hollywood. Would Cena have still been given the same push or did The Rock's departure open up the opportunity for Cena to be the top guy?

·
Raevolution is a Mystery
23,791 Posts
I'm pretty sure he still would've gotten over.

·
Premium Member
43,615 Posts
Well its weird. Cena legit got over on his own initially. What they did with him after that when the WWE Marketing machine got behind him is irrelevant. His rapping bit got over.

Would he have become the poster boy of the company & been rammed down our throats for the better part of a decade if Rock hadn't left? Who knows? Rock might have gotten stale and faded away in time to put Cena in the spot, so its hard to say.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I doubt he'd be the top guy (or he wouldn't until very recently as this would be the age where Rock would start to make less appearances anyway) but he'd still definitely be the second biggest in the company behind Rock.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Its hard to say, I mean sure they would both be up there but the Rock doesnt mind putting people over or changing himself to prevent him becoming stale so Cena may well still have ended up as the cartoon character he has become.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You'd also have to think about the fanbase. A lot of AE fans stopped watching when Stone Cold and The Rock were gone, and were eventually replaced by kids who came to idolize Cena. It would have been interesting to see what a Rock/Cena feud would have been like before Cena became big.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I dont think he'd be as big as he is now, but its not just because of The Rock. He probably wouldn't be as big if Brock and Kurt Angle had stayed, either. Its just the way it goes. He WAS the one that got himself over, though. no question about that, but the WWE wouldn't have pushed him as much as they did had some of those big names would have stayed.

·
Asuka
96,251 Posts
Yes. In fact, WWE replaced Rock with Brock Lesnar before Rock was even gone. He was the real departure that boosted Cena to poster boy of the company, but in any event, Cena becomes a huge draw regardless because he has "it". He would've become the top star whether Rock left or not because the WWE wouldn't have been able to stay in the same era forever.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yes. In fact, WWE replaced Rock with Brock Lesnar before Rock was even gone. He was the real departure that boosted Cena to poster boy of the company, but in any event, Cena becomes a huge draw regardless because he has "it". He would've become the top star whether Rock left or not because the WWE wouldn't have been able to stay in the same era forever.
Yeah but they replaced him with Brock because he was leaving, because he was doing films and working what was basically a part time schedule towards the end. If he wasn't leaving at all for films then it would have been a different matter altogether. After all Rock was only 30 when he stopped. Cena would have become a top star regardless but I doubt he'd have been "the guy" were Rock still full time.

·
Vacay in Suplex City!
1,778 Posts
I think its more of a question of If Brock Lesnar never left the WWE, Would John Have become what he is today.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
I dont think he'd be as big as he is now, but its not just because of The Rock. He probably wouldn't be as big if Brock and Kurt Angle had stayed, either. Its just the way it goes. He WAS the one that got himself over, though. no question about that, but the WWE wouldn't have pushed him as much as they did had some of those big names would have stayed.
The big push for John Cena began in early 2004 when Brock Lesnar and Kurt Angle were both still around and John Cena went over Kurt Angle a few times in 2005 on both Raw and SmackDown PPV's so he was already ahead of Kurt Angle by early 2005. So many people forget that John Cena was so over by late 2003 that WWE had to turn him face and you only have to look at the HUGE pop he got when he was drafted to Raw in mid 2005 to see just how popular he really was until WWE watered down his character.

In my opinion there wasn't anything that was going to hold John Cena back as his rise was all natural. A good comparison would be The Rock becoming an equal to Stone Cold Steve Austin in 2000 which is just how i think it would have turned out had The Rock stayed and been in direct competition with John Cena as top guy. Had WWE not completely watered down his character then John Cena would have remained HUGELY popular but is still the biggest name in the entire industry and has been for six years now.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Yep he's a maniac when it comes to training,and learning.
Main face of the company NO,but main eventing YEP.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts