Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If Steve Austin vs. Goldberg had headlined a Wrestlemania during the Monday Night War era, do you think it would have set an all time untouchable PPV buyrate that would have stood to this day?

If you don't think so, what match, from what era, do you think could set a ppv record?

You can use matches that we have already seen, but you think would have done better business at another time, e.g. if you think Hogan and Flair would have drawn more buys if they wrestled at Wrestlemania V in 1989, than they ended up doing in WCW in 1994, you can use them or matches like them.

The only condition is you must pick two wrestlers from the same era, i.e. a match that could have happened. So you couldn't put prime Austin (1998-1999) against prime Hogan (1987).

You could however choose a match like John Cena vs The Rock at any time in the 2000s since technically that match could happen if Rock agreed.

Austin and Goldberg in 1998 or 1999 is my pick. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I think it most definatley would have.

However if Mania 18 would have been booked as a proper wwf v wcw ppv that would be number 1.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I think Hulk Hogan vs. Steve Austin at Wrestlemania 18 could have set an all-time record. That is on the condition Hogan returned as a babyface and Vince didn't botch the 2001 invasion angle.

Booking Wrestlemania 15 as a WWF vs. WCW PPV would have been huge. That is because both promotions were really strong and wrestling was in the middle of a boom period. Goldberg/Austin, NWO/DX, Vince/Bischoff and 'Taker/Sting.

·
Banned
4,201 Posts
If taken place in 1998, without a doubt it would have broken all records.

The numbers would have been huge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts