Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like they have in any regular sport like baseball, football, basketball? Say three months every year after 'Mania. It would give the wrestlers a chance to rest, spend some quality time at home with their families, and just recharge.

Now as a fan, I would probably miss having new episodes of RAW every week, but they could put together compilation episodes, classic matches... maybe even some pay per view matches thrown in.

I don't know exactly what happened with the title, but it's supposed to say "Would an off season be a good idea for the WWE"

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
Re: Wounoff season be a good idea for the WWE

I don't think an off-season would suit WWE, but a form of it for the wrestlers would. Similar to Jericho and RVD's 90 day blocks, then a break, but not as short. They have an enormous roster but only use the same 30-40 percent of it every week. Rotating out parts of the roster 2-3 times a year would freshen it up, slow down guys getting stale, and give wrestlers time to recuperate.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I think an offseason would be good for the wrestlers, the creative staff, and, to some extent, the fans. The talent would get more time to rest, the creative team would have more time to put together quality storylines for the following season, and the market wouldn't be oversaturated with 6 hours of original television every single week. I really like the idea of airing compilation shows with classic matches and PPV matches, perhaps along with some original material from the developmental territory as well. Unfortunately, an offseason would also be disastrous for WWE's bottom line. The loss of 25% of their yearly live event and PPV revenue would most likely push the WWE into insolvency.

·
Premium Member
4,216 Posts
Yes. It would give the wrestlers a much needed break, while giving me a break from watching this crap at the same time.

·
Premium Member
10,531 Posts
I don't think an off season would work. I do think a cycling of talent and systematic time off would do wonders for them though.

·
Registered
641 Posts
WWE could do seasons like most television shows. It would probably be a more healthy digest for wrestling fans and wrestlers. However not sure how that would work with personal feuds as this thread was brought up awhile ago and someone said the same thing. It pretty much finishes off any sense of kayfabe that is left.

Will it ever happen? Doubt it. Nonetheless it is an interesting idea, possibly something TNA or ROH could pounce on to try and separate themselves and have their own niche, like TNA used to have with the six sided ring.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I think its a great idea. Imagine the excitement over the season opening Raw? The intensity of WM being the final matches of the season.

·
Registered
948 Posts
It's a bad idea for most of the wrestlers on the roster. While I'm sure they'd like the time off to relax, for guys like Tyson Kidd who don't work PPV's, 3 months of house show payoffs is a pretty good amount of money to miss out on which is exactly what an offseason would do.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Financially? No. And that's all that matters to them. They work them into the ground and make as much money as they can.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Offseason would help make it fresher, but at the same time, no WWE for a certain period of time might lead to people finding alternatives to watch and then not as likely to come back to watch WWE.

Random example, but it'd be like smoking or drinking. If someone stops doing it for like a month or two, the second the time is up, they might come crawling back, or just realize that they don't need it as much(if at all) anymore and stops altogether.

·
Banned
2,096 Posts
I don't see why they cant just take December off. It would boost the morale of the roster and besides the ratings always plummet at this time of the year.

I remember RVD was furious with Vince with the tribute to the troops thing and I dont blame him.

·
Registered
178 Posts
No, wrestling, as opposed to most real sports, is mainly dependant on TV to survive financially, as wrestling promotions don´t have price money or shirt sponsors.

Secondly, almost all of the problems that arise from having to produce tv 52 weeks a year can be solved by simply rotating talent, and giving the writing staff more more home time like proper vacations and limiting how many and which of them have to be backstage at the show.

Essentially it isn´t any different from being a truck driver, your job takes you on the road, so you need some downtime at home every once in a while, but that doesn´t have to mean that no one can drive a truck for 3 months.

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,433 Posts
I'm gonna take the fan approach and just say what I wanna see instead of acting like a WWE pencil pusher and try to talk finances. It's not our job to worry about shit like "what the bottom line would look like".

I'd like to see the entire production just shut down for one month out of the year. Not the company or HQ in Stamford, but the production of Raw, Smackdown, PPVs, anything that takes place in front of a camera. Like a summer vacation that you take once a year, or designated time off that you accumulate in your job.

A month. Maybe somewhere in that 4-month pocket between Mania and Summerslam, or between Summerslam and the Rumble. It all just shuts down. The talent can go home or wherever, rest up, recharge their proverbial batteries, heal any nagging injuries, whatever they wanna do.

It'll never happen in a million years, but I answered the OP's question and put my opinion out there, even if it hurts their "bottom line".

·
Banned
5,216 Posts
no but i'll say this, the guys that have been on tv a lot lately like Bryan, Punk, Ziggler, Del Rio, Orton, all those guys deserve a raise because they've been working their asses off at live events and tv events and they never miss one...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts