Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hogan's heel turn was huge in 96 and started one of the greatest storylines in wrestling history - the NWO. Do you think a Cena heel turn could have such an effect today? Could Cena actuall become "cooler" by turning heel. Cena could be the next Hollywood Hogan.

·
Registered
423 Posts
No, I don't think people would believe it. This is a guy who has been very outspoken about how I loves the fans, working for the company, etc. Hulk was legitimately angry about the things in WCW, and that's why he formed the NWO with Hall and Nash.

·
Banned
852 Posts
The wrestling landscape was much different back then, and John Cena is nowhere near as big a name as Hulk Hogan was/is. The heel turn would be big, mind you, but nowhere near as big as Hogan's.

Reactions: JT Martin

·
Registered
942 Posts
I'm probably the only person on here who doesn't think a heel turn would work.

The reason why I say that is because in this era, heels tend to get cheered by adults. Most adults want Cena heel, so as soon as that happens, most of you will start cheering him, when the purpose of a heel is to get booed.

Cena's character definitely needs tweaking, but I don't think he needs to turn heel. It would be as bad as when Austin was heel in '01, probably worse.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
No. Hulk Hogan is one of the greatest wrestlers of all time. John Cena isn't even worthy enough to be a pimple on Hogan's ass.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
No, Hogan was one of a kind , even stone cold's heel turn wasn't nearly as good . Even if we forget just how huge baby face hogan was , compared to the insignificant and niche John cena , I think that you could see that hogan could be a fantastic heel even when he was a face .there was something in his looks, the intensity of his promos that just showed that he could pul off a monumental heel character . John cena looks like a huge child and would be horrible as a heel .

·
Registered
8,320 Posts
no because Cena isn't THAT big of a name. Also too a heel Cena would not work because the people who want Cena to turn heel will cheer it thus killing the whole purpose o turning him heel. You just have to accept that a Cena heel turn will not work unless the WWE has somebody at Cena's level to replace him as the top face. Sorry Punk fans, but it's not him.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
knowing how wwe thinks...they would make him "dark side" cena. lol

·
Registered
14,605 Posts
No it wouldn't. It would be big mind you but the fact is people have wanted Cena to go heel for years now so even if he turned heel it would be totally expected unlike Hogan's turn which no one saw coming.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Ah ... the long awaited John Cena heel turn. I think that when it eventually occurs it's going to be pretty great but, alas, nowhere near as monumental as Hulk Hogan's. Cena is a big name, sure, but Hulk Hogan was a household name who transcended the industry and became a global phenomenon. As big as Cena is, he just ain't Hulk Hogan.

That said, I think that the inevitable Cena heel turn will be pretty enjoyable. All those people complaining about how Cena hogs the main event / title scene will be spitting feathers when the heel turn comes; you know that he's gonna be a long running heel champ.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Honestly, No but it would be good for him.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I'm probably the only person on here who doesn't think a heel turn would work.

The reason why I say that is because in this era, heels tend to get cheered by adults. Most adults want Cena heel, so as soon as that happens, most of you will start cheering him, when the purpose of a heel is to get booed.

Cena's character definitely needs tweaking, but I don't think he needs to turn heel. It would be as bad as when Austin was heel in '01, probably worse.
What? So your saying a face getting boo'd is better then a heel getting cheered? umm.. No man he would not get heavily cheered if he did turn heel. To be honest I think all the people that boo him will still boo him and even more that used to cheer him will boo him if he turned heel.

Would a heel turn allow more growth for Cena as a character? Absolutely.

Does is make sense from Vince/Creative's point of view. Hell no, #1 merch seller, but more importantly an icon of good for a lot of kids (kids that buy all his shit). Making money off his merch and sustaining his kids/women demographic is more important then having captivating TV. Your a fool if you think the WWE operates on what makes the best Storylines/TV, it's all politics.

·
Premium Member
19,306 Posts
Hogan's heel turn shook the landscape of wrestling... John Cena would turn heel and very little would change, including the way people felt about him.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Cena doesn't need to turn heel per se, he just needs to change. But I do feel that if he snapped after losing to the Rock, that would've come close to Hogan's Turn (but not because of the fact he turned, but because he beat on the Rock in his hometown at WM).

·
THE ONE.
5,323 Posts
He's not turning heel, Its pretty crystalized IMO.

WWE have geared the product to his characters type of audience so long that the backlash wouldn't make business sense anymore. Some people were legit "shocked" when he was getting his ass handed to him by Brock and would have stopped watching along with their children if this "monstrosity continued"

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
A Cena heel turn today would not have the effect of Hogan's heel turn in '96. When Hogan turned heel, no one saw it coming. Everyone saw Hogan at the time as one whose time passed him by, and it blew everyone away. A Cena heel turn now would be forced, and IMHO it should have taken place about the time he was forced to join Nexus. They could have set it up for him to eventually take over the group.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts