Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this list is interesting and it says a lot about WWE creative not knowing what to do with top stars

what i find interesting is the Shield trio doing bad business since 2015 and yet they are always in the top tier matches and main event a lot of the PPVs

·
Registered
367 Posts
what i find interesting is the Shield trio doing bad business since 2015 and yet they are always in the top tier matches and main event a lot of the PPVs
My theory is this: The WWE management believes that what sells is the "WWE" brand itself, not the superstars, I mean, look at the WrestleMania tickets. They don't need a new Cena or Hogan to survive, so they act accordingly putting whoever they want, based in what? Loyalty and marketeability. I say loyalty because they don't want a CM Punk situation again and I say marketeability 'cause they don't want the Daniel Bryan injury/die prone situation again. Their solution? Young, loyals and healthys Roman and Seth who could wrestle another 10 years easily. Long-time investments instead of 3-4 years real superstars like Stone Cold.

You may not like it (I don't), but sounds logical to me.

·
Fearless University Graduate
17,474 Posts
This is a tricky subject because there's always lots of outside factors. Despite what the anti-Jinder crowd think ratings doesn't revolve around the Champion. Its about the entire product as a whole. Any World Champion of this period can be deemed a failure because the ratings are on a constant decline no matter who is World Champ. Reigns or Rollins, a hated talent or an adored one it doesn't matter ratings are still declining because the whole product is bad.

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
RAW Bliss
4,922 Posts
Brock as well didn't draw shit in his first run

The Miz, Mysterio, Swagger, Booker T, Big Show, etc.

Even Undertaker in 1997 didn't draw

The only real draws since the Hogan era have been Rock, Austin, HHH somewhat, and Cena

Reactions: Groovybaby

·
WF's resident Big Dog
8,098 Posts
No one's really drew outside of Hogan Austin Rock & Cena

No one cares about wrestling no more :shrug most people grew out of it & look down on it as fake now compared to when they were really invested in it, times change

I know people like to play the blame game with this but it's a hell of a lot more than just the champion to blame, so it always baffles me when people use ratings as a cop out in an argument for bagging on a superstar

Like everything in the world it used to be cool now it isn't

·
Registered
2,353 Posts

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
I dont really see how someone being champion draws ratings, if someone isnt watching before such a person is champion I doubt they are going to suddenly start watching because they are. Logic would dictate that if someone isnt interested in them while they arnt champion, they have no reason to care when they are.

rock stone cold etc were popular anyway, becoming champion simply added some story.

I simply cant understand putting all the blame of low PPV buyrates and ratings on one guy, theres more going on than one guy, surely if the rest of the show is good that will increase ratings, you could have great ratings with a champion no-one cares for, in wwe's mind they must think hes a great champion.

Reactions: Jam

·
it's a tarp!
7,252 Posts
Shawn Michaels is always the most interesting to look at, as champion in the mid 1990s, WWF had record low ratings, buyrates, and massively papered under capacity houses.

Within two weeks of Shawn leaving the WWF with a 'back injury', WWF's ratings shot up under Steve Austin, combined with record breaking houses.

Within a month of Shawn returning in 2002, WWE's ratings nosedived from 4's to 3's and never recovered.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Shawn Michaels is always the most interesting to look at, as champion in the mid 1990s, WWF had record low ratings, buyrates, and massively papered under capacity houses.

Within two weeks of Shawn leaving the WWF with a 'back injury', WWF's ratings shot up under Steve Austin, combined with record breaking houses.

Within a month of Shawn returning in 2002, WWE's ratings nosedived from 4's to 3's and never recovered.
You can't honestly blame all that on Shawn, expecially his return in 2002.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts