Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Uncensored 95. The main event was Hogan vs. Vader in a strap match. During the match Flair comes down to interfere on Vader's behalf. Also at some point both men become unhooked from the strap. Hogan hooks the strap to Flair and drags him around the ring, touching all 4 corners and wins the match. Then a masked man in black comes to the ring with a chair and looks to threaten Hogan and his new ally, Renegade. Then Arn Anderson steps out onto the entrance way, wearing all black as well but no mask. His mouth is gagged and his hands and feet are tied. This is to show everyone that he was planned to be the masked man who came out, but he got ambushed backstage. The masked man unmasks and its Savage, who is on Hogan's side.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Souled Out 2000. For some reason no one ever talks about this one. Hall vs Jarrett vs Sid. Main even goes less than 8 minutes. Has numerous run ins that go wrong due to bad timing. Jarrett lays out the ref for no reason. Piper makes the pinfall again for some weird reason. Hall is never seen again in WCW after this. Seriously go watch it on the Network, it's baffling.
Also Great American Bash 1999. Nash vs Savage ends in about 7 minutes with a DQ for the title in the main event. Jesus.

I love WCW but they sure did have some stinkers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
One Night Only in 1997. This is one I will always hate. Shawn Michaels didn't need the European Championship and I'm certainly not in favor of hometown humiliations. What's worse is that Bulldog was originally booked to WIN the match, but back then, HBK was well known for being a crybaby politician and Vince wasn't one to tell Shawn no. Just thinking about it makes me cringe.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
As far as something visibly falling apart on screen, you don't get much worse than Sting vs. Jeff Hardy, but I can give it something of a pass because it was Jeff's fault for not being professional, and the shitty PPV ending wasn't something planned by TNA.

The endings that really suck are when everything's gone to plan, and we're sitting there as fans going, "really, this is what they wanted to do?" My choices are for a couple of results that had implications beyond the event itself. Maybe not THE worst of all time, but certainly ones that stick out in my head.

First, Hell In A Cell 2019. I like to be a positive fan as much as I can, and a positive person in my day to day life. I try not to get caught up in the smark anger at different angles and matches, and try and see a silver lining or reasoning behind something. Very rarely do I get to "fuck this company" territory, but HIAC 2019 achieved it. Not only was the finish to Seth/Fiend terrible, but it also had the ramifications of forever damaging the Cell gimmick. Throwing such a match out because "it went too far" flies in the face of everything it's supposed to be about and has been since the first couple of Cell matches in 1997 and 1998. I'm going to remember WWE booking this finish for every Cell match I ever watch in the future, and it's going to take away my emotional investment in every big spot, because they could be using it as a mechanism to throw the match out again. Hell In A Cell used to mean it was the match to end all issues, all rivalries, then it got downgraded to mean "hey, it's October", and now after Seth vs. Fiend, the Cell means absolutely nothing. 20 years of a great gimmick match, completely flushed down the drain. It was so bad that they had to explicitly advertise for Crown Jewel, "hey, guys, we're going to give you a finish this time, honest!" When they need that kind of disclaimer, you know the booking was all kinds of fucked up.

Hell In A Cell 2018 was almost as bad, but at least it ended on outside interference rather than "wahh one of the wrestlers in the match got too violent". Plus, I'm a Brock mark. Sue me.

Another one I want to nominate is Summerslam 2003. This sticks out in my head because I'm watching all the Chamber matches before this year's Elimination Chamber PPV. The second ever Chamber match. They shortened the intervals from 5 minutes to 3 minutes, which was cause for a little concern, but beyond giving the match a short run time, didn't have too negligible an effect. Good action early by HBK, Jericho and a really young Randy Orton, Kevin Nash- complete with new bleach blonde hair, came in to kick some booty... and then GOLDBERG arrived! This was the best Big Bill had looked in WWE to this point. Instead of booking to his strengths, WWE in 2003 made Goldberg do things the WWE way, which meant wrestling standard 15-20 minute matches. Not good. At Summerslam 2003 though, in this Chamber match, they got it right. Goldberg fucking DESTROYED everyone. And then we get to Triple H. Wearing bike shorts because he had a torn groin, Hunter couldn't even really take a bump, let alone work a match. He hadn't wrestled for a while, and for this reason, he was the last entrant in the Chamber match. Perfect opportunity to take the belt off him and put it on this new star, right? ...Nah. Ric Flair slid a sledgehammer into the ring, The Game used it, and Goldberg took the L. All that momentum pissed away to hand Triple H and Evolution a cheap victory. It was like letting the air out of a balloon. Goldberg was red hot, it was by far the best he had looked in WWE... and then it all just stopped. The infuriating thing is, Goldberg would get his win a month later at Unforgiven. In one of those standard un-Goldberg 15-20 PPV main events. And it had nowhere near the impact crowning him champ at Summerslam would have. Summerslam 2003 killed the WWE career of Goldberg dead, when it should have made him a beast.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts