Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is no doubt that last night's Hell in a Cell's Main Event will go down as one of the absolute WORST endings to a Main Event and match. Below are some of the worst I can recall off the top of my head (NOT IN ANY ORDER). What are some of the worst you can remember??

WRESTLEMANIA 2000 (16):

Triple H retains in the Fatal 4 Way. Rock should have gone over or if you were going to do the big Backlash with Rock, HHH and Austin, Foley should have won and Rock and HHH at Backlash should have been a tournament final!

WRESTLEMANIA 9:

Yokozuna beats Bret and Hogan beats Yoko for the belt in an impromptu challenge! IMO, should have been Hogan or Randy Savage putting over Bret here.

WRESTLEMANIA 25:

Triple H went over Randy Orton...terrible! Say what you want about him now, but from late 2008-mid 2009, Orton was the hottest thing in Wrestling. BUT, after all the involvement of Legacy and The McMahons, they had a snoozer of a Main Event (which I literally snoozed through) and THE WRONG GUY WON!!!

BATTLEGROUND 2013:

Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton....for the vacant WWE title: we must have a winner, BUT, there was no winner as Big Show interfered and destroyed the match. At least when Undertaker vs. Kane fought for the vacant WWF title, we got the infamous Stone Cold kidnaps Vince angle the next night on RAW where Vince famously pissed his pants as Austin shot him with a toy gun. The YES Movement was in full swing, but people wanted a winner here!

STARRCADE 1997:

Right guy won...BUT, there was no fast count, so, why did the match need to be restarted again??? They had an out that they could have used as Hogan grabbed the tights, but they were too incompetent to pivot. Also, how could Bret name himself a referee????

SUMMERSLAM 2015:

Undertaker taps out, bell rings, but ref does not see it and chokes Brock out for the win. Undertaker was legit enough to get a win here so why do the screwy finish???

SURVIVOR SERIES 1997:

The infamous Montreal Screwjob! Nothing more to say that hasn't been said or written over the last 22 years!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
For me it has to be 2000 wrestlemania. The rock was the biggest star in wrestling and the fans were ready to see rock get his mania moment only for Vince to screw him over. I have never been more pissed off as a wrestling fan more than that day.

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,248 Posts
Some great(horrific) choices there. Most significantly worse than we saw at HIAC last night.

I have to add Wrestlemania VIII. Hogan beats Sid by DQ. It ends Wrestlemania in a shitty DQ. It's not the title match. Flair and Savage have a great match for the belt in the middle of the show. If not for massive egos getting in the way this could have been the biggest match of all-time: Hogan vs. Flair for the WWF Championship at Wrestlemania.

·
F*** This indy flippy shit
2,173 Posts
I’d add Cena not putting over the Wyatt Family at WrestleMania as well. That was pretty much the end of them.

Also Reigns winning the Rumble when he came out at 30 after losing in a championship match the same night was fucking atrocious.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’d add Cena not putting over the Wyatt Family at WrestleMania as well. That was pretty much the end of them.

Also Reigns winning the Rumble when he came out at 30 after losing in a championship match the same night was fucking atrocious.
1) Wyatt vs. Cena was not a Main Event...it was in the midcard at Wrestlemania 30.

2) Reigns did not win that Royal Rumble...Randy Orton did.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Royal Rumble 2015: Match was booked terribly, I'd say the beginning of the 3-4 year WWE Vs The fans on Roman Reigns, lackluster ending and they even managed to get The Rock booed by association. The match was also a dud on a pure match scale.

Backlash 2018: To be fair everything but the opening match was a dud, but the Roman/Joe main event went down in infamy as crowds chanted 'beat the traffic' and 'change the channel' match was boring and the cherry on top of the shit cake that was almost the entire show.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I’m surprised to see some of the entries on this list.
Wrestlemania 2000’s main event was great for the mere reason that it made The Rock’s prevailance at Backlash all the more sweeter. Nobody expects the heel to win at Wrestlemania and it was done for the first time in history, and if you’ll look at the crowd reaction after Triple h’s win they were bummed the fuck out and some of them were throwing trash, that’s great heel heat. Besides, the whole “baby face walking out with the title” at WM is such a kayfabe stigma that some internet fans take way too seriously just to compare big wins and losses between their favourites, a sort of “mark war” - generally speaking - to see who is more favourited by the company and thus who is more valuable, which in itself is a ludicrous idea, if anything it shows that the smart marks aren’t that smart as they are falling within WWE’s grasps just like any other fan .. In retrospect it didn’t damage The Rock’s credentials at all, in fact It made him look more like a fighting champion, more adored by the fans, and by the next year or two became above any world title. IMO Backlash 2000 is probably the ultimate babyface win of all time especially when it comes to execution.

Wrestlemania 9 all you need to do is look at the crowd pop when Hogan won, one of the loudest pops of the New Generation time and it was in an open arena.. it’s the surprise win which came out of the blue that made it magical. It’s one of the fun elements in wrestling that is seldom used nowadays or has been branded

The Montreal Screwjob is a tricky one here, it was very sour and confusing when it happened, but that finish generated such a wave that it made wrestling catch fire for the following years. WWE caught lightning in a bottle with the blowback of that finish so me personally I wouldn’t call it the worst main event of all time knowing what followed.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I don't dislike Hogan, but I have to agree with Wrestlemania 9 being among the worst finishes ever.
And no, I don't care that casual fans loved it - that only proves to me that those "fans" never actually gave a crap about wrestling and only wanted a nostalgia pop. Bret was the face of the company, he had busted his ass despite having next to no viable competition, and they basically Kofi'd him.

A smaller, smarter wrestler defying the odds and defeating a huge monster is a timeless story. But no, they had to have Hulk out there because a bunch of idiot "fans" couldn't move with the times and wanted their childhoods validated.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Summerslam 93.

They give Lex Luger a supersized Hulk Hogan push. Give him his own tour bus.
Bring him up every 5 seconds. Build this giant feud with Yokozuna.
Put him in the main event for the title....

AND THIS MOTHER FUCKER WINS BY COUNTOUT
Absolutely one of the worst endings...and even after the ending, there were balloons and confetti!! I am surprised this didn't pop into my mind when I wrote the OP. Good catch!!!

·
Premium Member
10,185 Posts
Over the Limit 2012. Johnny Ace vs Cena. And Big Johnny won thanks to a Big Show heel turn :heston

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't dislike Hogan, but I have to agree with Wrestlemania 9 being among the worst finishes ever.
And no, I don't care that casual fans loved it - that only proves to me that those "fans" never actually gave a crap about wrestling and only wanted a nostalgia pop. Bret was the face of the company, he had busted his ass despite having next to no viable competition, and they basically Kofi'd him.

A smaller, smarter wrestler defying the odds and defeating a huge monster is a timeless story. But no, they had to have Hulk out there because a bunch of idiot "fans" couldn't move with the times and wanted their childhoods validated.
You mean to tell me that popping because their favorite wrestler won, doesn't make them real fans and makes them idiots? What an elitist statement

I can't imagine being a wrestling fan means that you should care about other wrestlers over your favorite simply because they're younger or do more moves, that's not being a real fan, that's being a mark.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Hell In a Cell was an abomination. Worst I think EVER.

In a grand scale WM16 with Trips going over Rock in a 4 way and a McMahon in each corner Orgy.

Speaking of Trips: Night of Champions 2011 HHH going over Punk (and fuck Punk if he truly goes back).

The entire Fall of 2013: Battleground Show laying out both Orton and Bryan, then HHH and HBK screwing Bryan at HIAC (with no intention of putting Bryan in another title match) and then trying to put Show in Bryan's spot only to stink up the joint and set up Orton/Cena "in the biggest match in company history".

Taker/Reigns was pretty awful at WM33.

Vince winning the Rumble in 1999. Then of course 2014 and 2015 shitty ass Rumbles.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts