Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imagine starting a new wrestling promotion and building the company from scratch

and in your first year, All this happens

1-A global lockdown because of a pandemic

2-riots and civil unrest in your country for months

3-the most controversial presidential election EVER

they definitely didn't have it easy
probably was demoralizing after spending $100 million, can't envy tony khan for this

·
Registered
943 Posts
imagine starting a new wrestling promotion and building the company from scratch

and in your first year, All this happens

1-A global lockdown because of a pandemic

2-riots and civil unrest in your country for months

3-the most controversial presidential election EVER

they definitely didn't have it easy
probably was demoralizing after spending $100 million, can't envy tony khan for this
The Khan's donated to trump's campaign so points 2 and 3 are pretty invalid

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Khan's donated to trump's campaign so points 2 and 3 are pretty invalid
point 2 well, if there is a riot in your city or near you do you think you'll be in a mode to watch wrestling?
point 3 is related to the news coverage and tv ratings

·
Waiting for Kawato
1,047 Posts
They got their TV contract extended right before the pandemic threw a wrench in the works, I would hardly say that's the worst luck EVER. Pretty much the opposite, in fact. Granted this will have taken a toll on live business, but the TV deal is what really counts, and they got that taken care of before the empty arenas and reduced roster had any impact on ratings, and here we are a few months later and they seem to have overcome that obstacle anyway.

Point 3 is totally irrelevant because election years will always have a major impact on ratings, and it's not like that has come out of nowhere. I don't know what civil unrest has to do with anything unless there is major statistical evidence that impacted ratings independent of the pandemic which it came in the middle of.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The pandemic of the things listed is the only thing that causes a real issue.

Civil unrest? Don't run shows near it. Presidential election? Don't turn on the channels covering it?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They got their TV contract extended right before the pandemic threw a wrench in the works, I would hardly say that's the worst luck EVER. Pretty much the opposite, in fact. Granted this will have taken a toll on live business, but the TV deal is what really counts, and they got that taken care of before the empty arenas and reduced roster had any impact on ratings, and here we are a few months later and they seem to have overcome that obstacle anyway.

Point 3 is totally irrelevant because election years will always have a major impact on ratings, and it's not like that has come out of nowhere. I don't know what civil unrest has to do with anything unless there is major statistical evidence that impacted ratings independent of the pandemic which it came in the middle of.
before the pandemic AEW was steadily trending upward in the rating
and they took a hit that lasted for 5 month until they started to really recover 1 month ago
so imagine where would they be now if those 5 months were normal business

how can you say that point 3 is irrelevant when in the same sentence you admitted the election have an effect on ratings (that was my whole point, the effects of the election on TV ratings)

and lets say there are riots in your town, you'll be in a good mood to set down with a drink in your hand and watch wrestling?
or you're going to watch the news witch will bring us to to point 3 again
all these factors add up

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The pandemic of the things listed is the only thing that causes a real issue.

Civil unrest? Don't run shows near it. Presidential election? Don't turn on the channels covering it?
they're not running shows anywhere, so i wasn't even talking about this
i meant the people in their homes watching on TV

as for the riots, can you tell someone Don't turn on the channels covering it and instead watch wrestling?

·
Registered
512 Posts
There's always going to be things going on world regardless. Tucker on Fox News is the one who gets the biggest ratings for political talk in prime time. I seriously doubt that crowd would be watching AEW overwise.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's always going to be things going on world regardless. Tucker on Fox News is the one who gets the biggest ratings for political talk in prime time. I seriously doubt that crowd would be watching AEW overwise.
Yeah but All these events came together at the worst time possible for AEW
luckily they kept their composure

·
Southern Pride
3,864 Posts
The only thing that is different this year compared to previous years is COVID-19. All of the political stuff, riots and everything has been going on for a long time. The country has been very divided for over a decade at least. Ferguson riots happened in 2014, Trayvon Martin was killed in 2012, Charleston shooting was in 2015 and other controversial killings have happened that have been a popular topic on the news for a long time. Last year was apparently the deadliest year due to mass shootings and AEW was doing fine. Wildfires in California happen every year it seems like. I'm not saying that it all is normalized now, but it's not like most of what has happened this year is new.

COVID has hurt AEW as far as having the shows full of fans but other than that...None of rest would hurt ratings for AEW. If anything I would think that people would want to watch Dynamite to escape from all of that.

·
Registered
943 Posts
point 2 well, if there is a riot in your city or near you do you think you'll be in a mode to watch wrestling?
point 3 is related to the news coverage and tv ratings
The Khan's helped get trump in power so it's not bad luck but karma knowing full well they was backing a racist

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only thing that is different this year compared to previous years is COVID-19. All of the political stuff, riots and everything has been going on for a long time. The country has been very divided for over a decade at least. Ferguson riots happened in 2014, Trayvon Martin was killed in 2012, Charleston shooting was in 2015 and other controversial killings have happened that have been a popular topic on the news for a long time. Last year was apparently the deadliest year due to mass shootings and AEW was doing fine. Wildfires in California happen every year it seems like. I'm not saying that it all is normalized now, but it's not like most of what has happened this year is new.

COVID has hurt AEW as far as having the shows full of fans but other than that...None of rest would hurt ratings for AEW. If anything I would think that people would want to watch Dynamite to escape from all of that.
well i guess you know your country better, so i'm not gonna pretend i have a better understanding of what americans like to do during riots or elections :)

·
Waiting for Kawato
1,047 Posts
before the pandemic AEW was steadily trending upward in the rating
and they took a hit that lasted for 5 month until they started to really recover 1 month ago
so imagine where would they be now if those 5 months were normal business

how can you say that point 3 is irrelevant when in the same sentence you admitted the election have an effect on ratings (that was my whole point, the effects of the election on TV ratings)

and lets say there are riots in your town, you'll be in a good mood to set down with a drink in your hand and watch wrestling?
or you're going to watch the news witch will bring us to to point 3 again
all these factors add up
The point is, they got their TV deal extension BEFORE the pandemic, so TV ratings in the immediate present (whether impacted by said pandemic, civil unrest or an election) don't really matter, because in 2022/2023 when they come to renegotiate nobody is going to judge them based on a 5 month period 2 years in the past that as you have pointed out they are already recovering from. If they hadn't gotten that deal in January and were competing with all this outside stuff then for sure they would have just about the worst luck ever, but as it is they've actually managed to land themselves a second freaking TV show through all this crap, so damaged ratings for a couple of months are really not that important.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,993 Posts
well i guess you know your country better, so i'm not gonna pretend i have a better understanding of what americans like to do during riots or elections :)
Good decision, because he's right. Riots and elections have absolutely zero impact on companies like AEW (or WWE, for that matter). As for COVID, TONS of businesses are facing circumstances at least as challenging as AEW's. A friend of mine opened a brand new upscale restaurant in downtown DC on March 1. March 1. He's been in the restaurant business his whole life, and now he's looking for a way out as he watches his life's dream go up in flames because of COVID.

Point being, let's not shed a tear for AEW. They're not a little startup - they're a monstrosity from a financial standpoint. They'll be fine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Isn't it ironic that trump is the racist but robert "kkk" bird was one of bidens close friends as well as a mentor for hillary clinton. The democratic party was the party of segregation and slavery Dizzie not the Republicans.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts