Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Zeus thread has gotten me thinking about this. Based on accounts of other wrestlers and your own personal perceptions who were the worst workers in the history of wrestling?
Here's my top (or bottom) five:
5. Junkyard Dog - Because he got so massively over so quickly he started out horribly green and never bothered to advance at all throughout his career. Every wrestler who has ever spoken or written about JYD said he was an absolute disaster and hazard to work with.

4. Haystacks Calhoun - He was a freakshow attraction who drew lots of fans and brought in loads of money but could never wrestle a lick.

3. Great Khali - See above minus the fans and the money.

2. El Gigante/Giant Gonzalez - See above with less money and even fewer fans.

1. Zeus - A half blind, Z movie actor who never trained and probably never watched a wrestling match who was thrust into the main-event scene everytime he ever appeared.

Honorable mention: the McGuire Twins - Those two enormous twins that were famous for the photo of them riding little twin motorcycles. They weighed 723 and 745 lbs respectively and had fairly long careers as wrestlers. Enough said.

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
Ryback when he was first pushed as 'feed me' but fair play he has improved since Punk's Cabana shoot.
Sin Cara when he was botching players moves.
Albert/Tensai - idk if was poor working with Ryback but when he returned as Tensai he was dreadful
Steiner during his HHH feuds where shocking matches & a shadow of his WCW days with Rick.
Ortunga in every way.

·
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Albert/Tensai - idk if was poor working with Ryback but when he returned as Tensai he was dreadful
This was pretty sad because the guy was trained by Killer Kowalski and Dory Funk Jr. and had just come off an awesome run in Japan. I forgot about Otunga. He might be sixth on my list.

Reactions: spikingspud

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Who else wants some of Deebo! :deebo

Reactions: Kowalski's Killer
60,006 Posts
The Zeus thread has gotten me thinking about this. Based on accounts of other wrestlers and your own personal perceptions who were the worst workers in the history of wrestling?
Here's my top (or bottom) five:
5. Junkyard Dog - Because he got so massively over so quickly he started out horribly green and never bothered to advance at all throughout his career. Every wrestler who has ever spoken or written about JYD said he was an absolute disaster and hazard to work with.

4. Haystacks Calhoun - He was a freakshow attraction who drew lots of fans and brought in loads of money but could never wrestle a lick.

3. Great Khali - See above minus the fans and the money.

2. El Gigante/Giant Gonzalez - See above with less money and even fewer fans.

1. Zeus - A half blind, Z movie actor who never trained and probably never watched a wrestling match who was thrust into the main-event scene everytime he ever appeared.

Honorable mention: the McGuire Twins - Those two enormous twins that were famous for the photo of them riding little twin motorcycles. They weighed 723 and 745 lbs respectively and had fairly long careers as wrestlers. Enough said.

I liked this list. Jeep Swenson was a walking piece of garbage too.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
An early memory of mine of when I was about 8. I went to a house show and it was during the Hogan/Boss Man feud when Zeus showed up. I was right by the guard rail and Zeus was pounding his chest and sweat/water went everywhere.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
-El Gigante HAS to be up there. Even though oddly enough, I don't think his infamous 'Taker match was as bad as it's made out to be.

-The fella that played the Mummy in WCW

-I recall Trytan in TNA being the worst shit ever but, could be wrong.

-Nathan Jones, he tried...I guess?

-I've now carefully spent the last 2 minutes trying to think of a solid Godwinns match.

-Khali, obviously.

-Early Lex Luger

-I'd hate to rag on someone like Terry Gordy, but his work as The Executioner was pitiful. I heard he had some medical issues and that would explain it but I would not once buy that this guy was one of the Freebirds if I didn't research it myself.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
New Jack
The Sandman
Nathan Jones

Come on OP, I know Zeus couldn't wrestle for shit, but don't be too hard on my main man, Deebo. The "Z movie actor" part really hurt :cry

·
Munster Mash
3,975 Posts
Those fat twins were wrestlers? Seriously, that's news to me. Whenever I looked for them, it was for the motorcycle pictures only, never looked them up, I always assumed they were just some guys who let themselves go.

·
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those fat twins were wrestlers? Seriously, that's news to me. Whenever I looked for them, it was for the motorcycle pictures only, never looked them up, I always assumed they were just some guys who let themselves go.
Yep. They were trained(sort of) by Gory Guerrero and wrestled in the NWA, New Japan, Stampede and various territorial spots. Bret Hart has a great story in his book about leaving them on the side of the road after their van broke down because they couldn't fit into the car that picked up the wrestlers, forgetting about them, then leaving them on the side of the road for hours.

·
Likes wrestling....
10,831 Posts
I liked this list. Jeep Swenson was a walking piece of garbage too.
Jeep Swenson was my first thought and my pick for worst ever.

Seems to be a lot of the muscle bound powerlifters who could qualify.

I honestly never have heard anyone talk about Arcidi or Kaz from a working perspective.

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
El Gigante / Giant Gonzalez - Just ridiculously bad, never looked real for a second

New Jack - Slamming vaccum cleaners into people's crotches and jumping off balconies aside, this piece of shit actively deliberately injured plenty of people badly. That makes the worst in-ring worker IMO.

Khali - See Gigante

David Flair - Just horrible and a walking example of WCW's troubles.

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
Khali, a total disgrace to the business. Not too far behind is El Gigante. Also guys like Zeus, Jeep Swenson, Bob Sapp, Uncle Elmer, Dave Sullivan, Giant Haystacks and Tank Abbott come to mind.

·
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jeep Swenson was my first thought and my pick for worst ever.

Seems to be a lot of the muscle bound powerlifters who could qualify.

I honestly never have heard anyone talk about Arcidi or Kaz from a working perspective.
Swenson didn't need to be a good worker. He was going to be a huge draw with the neo-nazi crowd if WCW didn't change his name.
I've never heard anyone say anything about working with Kazmaier but I've read several accounts claiming that wrestling Arcidi was like being in the ring with a Volkswagen full of lead.

Reactions: egnuldt
1 - 20 of 56 Posts