Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a thread/poll asking about what was the best of the WWE/F eras of all-time, I was wondering what you consider to be the worst WWF era of all-time.

Here are the eras, according to the thread I mentioned:

http://www.wrestlingforum.com/general-wwe/511694-best-wwe-era.html

The Golden Age (1985 - 1992) - WWF's early years. Lead by Hulk Hogan. Hulkamania is running wild, and everybody watches wrestling. Andre The Giant, The Ultimate Warrior, Ted DiBiase, and Randy Savage are all prominent. Ends with Hulk Hogan leaving the company the following year.

The New Generation (1993 - 1997) - the dark period due to the 1994 steriod controversy and loss of ratings from rise of the Monday Night Wars with WCW. Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels lead this era. Ends with The Montreal Screwjob and Shawn Michael's temporary retirement.

The Attitude Era (1998 - 2001) - the PG-13 period of WWF. Second wave of wrestling popularity. Lead by Steve Austin and The Rock. The birth of SmackDown, The Corporate Ministry, and The Invasion are prominent. Ends with WWF winning the Monday Night Wars and McMahon buying WCW.

The Ruthless Aggression Era (2002 - 2007) - a transitional period between the Attitude and PG eras. Unofficially lead by Triple H. JBL and Brock Lesnar are prominent. WWF becomes WWE, brand extension is born, and the World Heavyweight Championship is introduced. WWECW shows up. John Cena and Batista rise to the top towards the end.

The PG Era (2008 - present) - the current period lead by John Cena. Product becomes the most kid-friendly since the 80s. ECW is replaced by NXT. Randy Orton, Edge, and Batista become big. Money in the Bank, guest hosts, and High Definition are introduced. Will likely continue for another year or so.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The New Generation nearly killed the WWF.

While they had gimmicks like Pug and Baston Booger, the fans started flipping the channel. WCW came along with the NWO and changed wrestling. WWF didn't catch up, with Pirates and Bret Hart feuding over his stolen jacket and Evil Denist and trash men and two undertakers.

Shawn Michaels remembered for being awesome didn't draw a dime in 1996 as world champion, and having lame storylines all around him didn't help.

Granted there were bright spots in the transition period of 1996-1997 (The Hart Foundations, Original DX, Nation of Domination/Ahmed Johnson Feud, Mankind vs. Undertaker, the rise of Stone Cold)

I would even argue that 1997 was the first year of the attitude era.

But yeah 1993-1996 was the worst period. If McMahon/Russo/Austin hadn't given birth to the Attitude they may have went out of business in the late 1990s

·
A Lord of Cinder
1,401 Posts
I will concur with some on here and say that 1993 - 1996 was the worst period. It all began to change in November 1996, when Bret Hart took on Stone Cold at Survivor Series. From there...the attitude era was pretty much born.

The 1993 to 1996 has pretty mediocre story lines and characters, but featured great wrestling, which is a shame. That was the Bret era, the Shawn era, the Yokozuna era, the lex luger era, the kliq, and the In Your House numbered era.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
While there was some baaaad stuf in the early 90's that was more vince doing dumb gimmicks. I think today is the worst, because the guys are a lot less talented as performers. Nowadays, the young guys have to grow on national TV. Back in the day even the biggest jobbers were the top dogs in their respective territories. Places like USWA, Global, World Class, AWA, ETC, still had TV and they had to really perform. Eve when WCW and ECW were around, there was more time for guys to learn and gain experience, while being less exposed (slightly less for WCW, but still.) And then they were ready the second they showed up in WWE. It is no coincidence that now that the last of those guys are starting to fade out, the new guys arent quite as interesting. Some Guys, like Kurt Angle, or as much as he annoys me, Cena, are just good naturally. But pre-2000, you would never have had someone like Jack swagger, or drew Macintyre holding titles, yet still trying to develop their skills as an on-air personality.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The PG Era, possibly people could say it's an NEWER! New Genration era

The Golden Age (1985 - 1992) This was when the WWF/E WAS Wrestling! good era, they had some heated rivalries and matches, the only problem with this era, WWF had wrestlers who used basic moves, in NWA/WCW at the time (Late 90's) people were using Wrestling moves an little head of their time

The New Generation (1993 - 1996) - I think it's not that bad, could had been done better, they had some poor gimmicks and people only had breif runs in the WWF

The Attitude Era (1998 - 2001) - the PG-13 period of WWF. This is my favorite era, Matches were good, Wrestling was good and the WWE Roster was Huge!

The Ruthless Aggression Era (2002 - 2007) 2002 was an goo year but from 2003 it started to go downhill, the year 2004 was good but 2005 it went back downhill

The PG Era (2008 - present) No comment! speaks for itself, it's the NEWER version of the The New Generation, Matches are mostly perdictable, The endings are very lame for example, Maryse Vs Kelly (2009 or early 2010), you push someone over the announce table in the Attitude Era, you get away with it, you push someone over the announce table in the PG Era, you get DQ'ed and another one, in the 80's to 2006 you have a Wrestler walking up teh ramp, another wrestler comes out and throws him back in the ring, you get away with it and the match carries on, but in teh PG Era during Kane Vs Drew McIntyre in April 2010, you get Drew walking up teh ramp, Matt Hardy comes out and throws Drew into teh ring becuase you don't want to see an match end on an Count Out, you get DQ'ed for throwing oppients into the ring! The rules for this era are so lame it makes the New Generation look good! and no Blood and Chairshots will be killing this era!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Oh come on, the PG Era isn't even over and some say this Era, the Wrestling of Today is better and i don't think PG Era will be the worst by far. Never liked the Bob Backlund Era in the 70's to mid 80's. I think i like most Eras, even the New Generation, but i would like to erase 95, that was just painfull. Everybody that says December to Dismember was the worst PPV ever should go back and look KOTR 95, and after you are done, and probably shoot yourself in the Foot to make the pain go away, you will think December to Dismember was WrestleMania. I mean sure at the moment they cant do as much crazy stuff, but they are pushing new Talent, that's what we were hoping for Years. You gotta loosen up, cause NO WAY is this Era the worst, unless you are crazy for blood and Hardcore Garbage Matches. And i also would say the Agression Era endet bassicly when Lesnar left 04, he was the Guy of the Company. Cena & Batista Era started in 05, both winning the World Title and never looking back.

·
Registered
595 Posts
can i choose 2003 onwards! 2002 was the last time i actually gave a crap!

·
Asuka
96,210 Posts
Today's era isn't nearly as bad as the New Generation era, for all the flaws this era does have. That was an awful, awful period. For one thing, I can count the amount of characters today that interest me on a full hand.

I might be the only one, but I don't like the Golden Age era at all either, but then again, it had already started before I was born. I was too young, and they say if you don't live through something, it's easy to not appreciate it, so.....maybe that's what it is, but I definately lived through the NG era and the NG era SUCKS.

·
Registered
12,415 Posts
New Generation was a great era if you were a wrestling fan. If you are more entertainment oriented, then it definitely sucked. Much like the Attitude Era sucked if you prefer wrestling.

·
Registered
561 Posts
It's hard to say reaaly I mean you what do you say makes an era bad? the matches? the fueds? the business it did?

Era's are had to decide but I do think WWE's worse year was 95' as it was the only year I think WWE actually lost money after their expantion period, so that being said I guess in my opinion the New Generation was the worst era, the PG era atleast makes money.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts