Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A remembrance thread.

September 1, 1939, from Wikipedia,

"Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II."

"Switzerland mobilizes its forces and the Swiss Parliament elects Henri Guisan to head the Swiss Armed Forces (an event that can happen only during war or mobilization)."

"Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people."

·
Greek God of Knowledge
7,098 Posts
My grandfather was a Pearl Harbor survivor. I would listen to his stories about seeing everything unfold from a distance and I can't even begin to imagine how horrifying of an experience that must have been.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
September 2, 1939, from Wikipedia,

"Following the start of the invasion of Poland the previous day, the Free City of Danzig (now Gdańsk, Poland) is annexed by Nazi Germany."

·
F*ck off I'm drinking
5,659 Posts
Both my grandfathers fought for Germany, one died at Stalingrad and the other one was an american prisoner for a while. I know that the one who died in Russia didn't want to go to war, the other one was a total supporter of the Nazi party.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
September 3, 1939, from Wikipedia,

"France, the United Kingdom, New Zealand and Australia declare war on Germany after the invasion of Poland, forming the Allies."

"The United Kingdom and France begin a naval blockade of Germany that lasts until the end of the war. This also marks the beginning of the Battle of the Atlantic."

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
My maternal grandfather was a guerrilla fighting against the Japanese during WW2, it's such a shame he died way too soon when I was very young to have shared some of his stories to me. My grandmother told me that while he fought for his country he absolutely hated war and killing other people just like my paternal grandfather who didn't talk to me much about WW2 but whenever it is mentioned I can see the pain in his eyes. The only things he did tell me was that war is ugly and we should never romanticize it, the sum total of humanity's ugliness is in full display during a war.

80 years after that, with all of the tension around West Philippine Sea/South China Sea and the rest of the world, I fear that history might repeat itself and this time I may have to live through it. It's such a scary thought to begin with.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
My great Grandaddy and his 4 brothers fought overseas in the war. Only he and his younger brother returned.
that was the sad thing about larger families being sent to war, the more that went, the more likely that at least one of them wernt coming back. Can't imagine that kind of worry tbh. Watching all your sons head off to fight, constantly knowing that they are in danger every single day and might not even come back at all.

I believe this was a reason why they tried to split families up and send them to different places in WW2, to minimise the chances of entire groups of families being killed like WW1.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
September 6, 1939, from Wikipedia,

"Britain suffers its first fighter pilot casualty of the Second World War at the Battle of Barking Creek as a result of friendly fire."

"South Africa declares war on Nazi Germany."

·
Under Jolly Roger
422 Posts
My grandfather (who I never met) served in North Africa. I saw an old photo of him taken next to an Italian P.O.W.
He used to sing for the troops and was apparently offered the chance to become a professional opera singer, but he just wanted to go home and see his wife.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Throwback to when an American on here thought Pearl Harbour was the start of WW2:

https://www.wrestlingforum.com/9445787-post116.html
I didnt read all of the replies but while he's wrong, he's not totally incorrect. WWII obviously had been going on for awhile but the US hadnt declared until after Pearl Harbor. Maybe that's where his confusion was.

I was a history major in college, gets you nowhere btw, I remember multiple times sitting down talking about the war with my grandfather. He was part of the Normandy Invasion. Crazy to think the stuff he went through at just 18 years old.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I was a history major in college, gets you nowhere btw, I remember multiple times sitting down talking about the war with my grandfather. He was part of the Normandy Invasion. Crazy to think the stuff he went through at just 18 years old.
I'm older than most of you guys and girls. My dad landed in D-day. Omaha beach. He told me some stuff when he was alive. After he passed I read his letters home and diary.

I remember him telling me how he had been trained but how he *really* learned to spot mines was after his friend was blown up by one a few yards beside him..

I remember him reading his letter back home to his mother how when got up the hill on D-day he found his gas mask was shot through and he had 3 bullet holes in his jacket but none in him..

He told me how he got promoted to Sgt on the battlefield..

I remember years later I hunted with a guy that was a ranger in Vietnam. He had much respect for even the common GI's in WW2. In his words, "I was in combat for awhile, then out for awhile. Those guys in WW2. They went to war and that was what they f***** did until they f***** died, won or got wounded!!" To drive that home, in one of my Dad's letters to his mom his first few sentences are, "Please don't worry. Things are better now. We are only getting shot at a few times a week instead of every day.."

·
40,760 Posts
Just visited Utah and Omaha beach as well as Pointe du Hoc. I couldn't even begin to imagine the hell our guys faced at Omaha as I stood in the warm sun on that placid tranquil beach. Everything went wrong and still our guys won that section. And it was just the beginning. Of course this is D-Day and 1944 so it's a bit in the future for this 80 year anniversary thread.

I guess a bit more relevant is I also just visited the Czech Republic (Prague = :sundin) and I'm in Munich right now. I'll try to get to Poland but this isn't likely at this time I am sorry.

·
F*ck off I'm drinking
5,659 Posts
Just visited Utah and Omaha beach as well as Pointe du Hoc. I couldn't even begin to imagine the hell our guys faced at Omaha as I stood in the warm sun on that placid tranquil beach. Everything went wrong and still our guys won that section. And it was just the beginning. Of course this is D-Day and 1944 so it's a bit in the future for this 80 year anniversary thread.

I guess a bit more relevant is I also just visited the Czech Republic (Prague = :sundin) and I'm in Munich right now. I'll try to get to Poland but this isn't likely at this time I am sorry.
Mauthausen concentration camp is just 2-3 hours away from you're at and worth a visit. I was there last year, its a very weird feeling to stand in a place where lots of really bad shit happened. I stood in the gas chamber and never felt that level despair before or after

·
40,760 Posts
Mauthausen concentration camp is just 2-3 hours away from you're at and worth a visit. I was there last year, its a very weird feeling to stand in a place where lots of really bad shit happened. I stood in the gas chamber and never felt that level despair before or after
I'm not sure I can visit the camps. Maybe one day when I get back around these parts. I'm sure I'll be back because it's great here.

·
Fighting the feeling...
2,456 Posts
I'm older than most of you guys and girls. My dad landed in D-day. Omaha beach. He told me some stuff when he was alive. After he passed I read his letters home and diary.

I remember him telling me how he had been trained but how he *really* learned to spot mines was after his friend was blown up by one a few yards beside him..

I remember him reading his letter back home to his mother how when got up the hill on D-day he found his gas mask was shot through and he had 3 bullet holes in his jacket but none in him..

He told me how he got promoted to Sgt on the battlefield..

I remember years later I hunted with a guy that was a ranger in Vietnam. He had much respect for even the common GI's in WW2. In his words, "I was in combat for awhile, then out for awhile. Those guys in WW2. They went to war and that was what they f***** did until they f***** died, won or got wounded!!" To drive that home, in one of my Dad's letters to his mom his first few sentences are, "Please don't worry. Things are better now. We are only getting shot at a few times a week instead of every day.."
My grandad landed on gold beach on d day. Didn't see much action but was a part of the 'clean up crew'.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
September 9, 1939, from Wikipedia,

"The Battle of Hel begins, the longest-defended pocket of Polish Army resistance during the German invasion of Poland."

1 - 20 of 35 Posts