Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has seen the show TNA Reaction, then you know its not hyperbole when I say: The show is nothing but one big worked shoot. Everyone seems to be trying their hardest to "show how the business works backstage". In the end though, we all know that everything thats on that show is scripted and HIGHLY produced. It's a Vince Russo-produced show, the proverbial KING of the worked shoots. But watching this show got me thinking, do worked shoots even exist. And by definition, the answer is no.

Think about it. A shoot is an unplanned event thats real. Very rarely do these things happen in the wrestling business today, especially in WWE. A work is what wrestling is. It's a fake storyline, action, etc. A worked shoot then, is a fake event that's made to look real. Ok, but isn't that what wrestling is already trying to do? The whole work of wrestling is to make fake storylines and make them seem as real as possible. So really, the work itself is a worked shoot, or its supposed to be. What seperates the work from the shoot then? Some people (*cough*Russo*cough*) have tried making works shoots by injecting real events into the shoot, thereby making it a worked shoot.

This is so bad, that alot of times its just tasteless. Just look at TNA's feud with Jeff Jarrett and Kurt Angle. They took a real life love triangle and injected it clumsily into a storyline. First off, it proves a huge flaw in worked shoots, in that in order for fans to care, you have to really promote whatever you're bringing up in storyline, so that the fans who don't know (which are most of them) actually care. The thing is, once you start promoting it, then it becomes a work itself, and then why bother even using the real life issues. You could have just as well used different people.

Which brings me to another issue. If you might as well use other people, why play on a personal issue and make light of it on TV? I'm sure Kurt and Jeff hate that their personal issues are being trivialized for storyline when they really don't have to be. You're just doing it to please a small few who actually know, and that's not enough of a reason. Especially when it goes too far. Probably one of the worst worked shoots I can think of was when WWE was using the real life death of Eddie Guerrero in their programming. It got so bad that there were actual fans who thought his death was all a lie and that he was really gonna come back. Thats when a worked shoot goes too far and you pull the plug.

The point im trying to make is that you don;t need to use real life stuff to get a story over. Its wrestling. What you write is supposed to seem as real as possible anyway. And don;t blame that the fans are just smarter. The fans are not smarter, the writers and bookers are just dumber.

·
also known as a BUSTER
12,018 Posts
Never heard of that, what exactly happened?
Homicide happened.

-

I don't know where I stand on worked shoots. EVOLVE's personality profiles are interesting but, on the other hand, this Hogan shit is embarrassing. I guess the conclusion is that Russo doesn't work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts