Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dave Meltzer confirmed on Wrestling Observer Radio that the original plan for Raw was to set up the SummerSlam main event and the match is scheduled to be Orton vs. McIntyre

They were going to shoot a Drew McIntyre-Randy Orton SummerSlam angle [last night]. I presume it was taped for the second show that was taped [for next week]. I don’t know that as a fact because I was told in the afternoon that the angle taping is still on but it could have been for the second show so they did not do [the angle on Monday] because they are doing Drew McIntyre vs. Dolph Ziggler for the title in a rematch [for next week].”
Meltzer said that the SummerSlam angle was delayed so they could get through the McIntyre-Ziggler rematch that will air next week. As it was announced last night on Raw, McIntyre will get to pick the stipulation but it won’t be announced until the match starts.

Meltzer said, “it makes no sense to shoot the angle with Randy Orton before doing that match so they delayed that for a week, among other things that changed.”

·
Registered
148 Posts
Honestly don't see why WWE felt the need to do another match between McIntyre & Ziggler.... Their feud hasn't really been interesting, and nobody really looks at Dolph Ziggler as a threatening opponent for a world championship anymore, because WWE never gave him the WWE Championship when he deserved it, even though he did when the World Heavyweight Championship on two occasions. I don't get why they couldn't have just been done with the Ziggler program after their good match at Extreme Rules, and just go ahead and start the Randy Orton SummerSlam buildup this week.

·
Premium Member
12,030 Posts
As expected. The real question now is whether they will strike with Orton while he's hot, or keep Drew's reign going.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
10,024 Posts
As expected. The real question now is whether they will strike with Orton while he's hot, or keep Drew's reign going.
No way Orton loses before his final match with Edge. I think Orton wins the gold, then loses it to Edge, then we probably get Orton vs Edge vs McIntyre with Drew getting the title back. Or maybe just Edge vs McIntyre. Or Edge can screw Orton out of the title in Orton and McIntyre's rematch. He said he would make Orton's life a living hell so why not start with making him lose the gold. I think it would be terrible booking to have Orton lose at SSlam though.

·
Southern Pride
3,547 Posts
Their is no reason to do a McIntyre/Ziggler rematch. Theirs like zero momentum for it.

The most likely scenario is that Edge screws Orton in the match. It's an easy finish for Edge to appear on the big screen, distract Orton and then the McIntyre takes Orton to Claymore country when Orton turns around. At least that is what I hope happens. That way Edge gets a small victory on Orton while he is still recovering and it keeps the Orton/Edge thing going. No one taking a clean loss, McIntyre is still champ.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
'plans changed' or 'common sense'?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I honestly thought, for a moment, they were going to do a repeat of the Ziggler/Goldberg segment at last year's SummerSlam the other night.

- Ziggler eats a Claymore.
-Drew walks up the ramp, as his music plays
-Ziggler: "IS THAT ALL YOU'VE GOT?!"
-Ziggler eats another Claymore.
Etc.

Anyways, the match next week will likely be borderline-comedy fodder. Drew chooses a stip to embarrass Ziggler. Or maybe he just chooses a regular match, and dominates him for five-to-eight minutes.

·
Registered
24,457 Posts
It's the best main event they can do right now. Drew's been one of their most protected faces in a long time and Orton is the real best heel in wrestling right now.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Orton doesn't need to win. He doesn't need to win another title ever again, really. He's a firmly-established top star. And he and Edge should sure as hell not be in a title match with one another in 2021.

But this should be a highly-competitive match, where Drew goes over cleanly in the end. They can run it back at the next PPV as well, if they'd like.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Orton doesn't need to win. He doesn't need to win another title ever again, really. He's a firmly-established top star. And he and Edge should sure as hell not be in a title match with one another in 2021.

But this should be a highly-competitive match, where Drew goes over cleanly in the end. They can run it back at the next PPV as well, if they'd like.
He cant lose until Edge comes back. So unless he takes a going too far dq loss, he has to win here

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,169 Posts
they can't possibly have orton go over just as Drew is finally being established as one of their first real stars in years... can they?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts