Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
14,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45732911

Teenagers using cannabis are causing long-lasting damage to their developing brains, a Canadian study suggests.

It found the impact on thinking skills, memory and behaviour was worse than that of teenage drinking.

The researchers, from the University of Montreal, urged teenagers to delay their use of cannabis for as long as they felt able.

The study tracked and tested 3,800 adolescents over four years, starting from around the age of 13.

Drinking alcohol and taking drugs, such as cannabis, at a young age is known to cause problems with cognitive abilities such as learning, attention and decision-making as well as academic performance at school.

This study found these problems increased as cannabis use increased - and the effects were lasting, unlike those of alcohol.

Looks like more pot demonization, will have to see if study is accurate or propaganda since anti-weed nonsense has kicked into overdrive.

I expect more studies like this to come out.

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
This hardly hurts the case for legalization.

No one's saying thirteen year olds should be getting baked all the time. Adults however should be able to get baked whenever they want so long as, just like alcohol, they're not driving, operation heavy machinery, or anything in that vein.

I do think all arbitrary age restrictions should be the same, but that's a different topic :lol

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts

No one's saying thirteen year olds should be getting baked all the time. Adults however should be able to get baked whenever they want so long as, just like alcohol, they're not driving, operation heavy machinery, or anything in that vein.

I do think all arbitrary age restrictions should be the same, but that's a different topic :lol
Burn rides are a human right!

·
Registered
173 Posts
The way I see it, part of the ethical problem with that is that it might only possibly impact the health of those who use (unless, as pointed out already, somebody lights up while driving), and not in a violent or apparent way. This lets everybody (correctly) play the 'It's my body, I can do whatever the hell I want' card. So not legalising seems unnecessary and backwards to some. If, on the other hand, 1) the suggestion of said study is correct and 2) we look at the issue from a utilitarian POV, legalising is letting a part of the society somewhat degrade, and most wouldn't agree with the second of that. That's where I see the arguing coming from. That study could only possibly be bad for the argument, not legalisation.
Why can't it be just like with tobacco though? Everybody smokes non-stop in the 70s and later generations don't, because there are stronger drugs now propaganda has finally started to work the fascination died out in the face of obvious health effects?

·
From parts unknown
23,261 Posts
Western Civilization: "Pot is bad!"

Also Western Civilization: "Now take this drug that makes you potentially suicidal, violent, more depressed and takes away your empathy! Wash it down with some alcohol. Do you want some added sugar .. in everything?"

:clap

·
Registered
7,488 Posts

Teenagers using cannabis are causing long-lasting damage to their developing brains, a Canadian study suggests.

It found the impact on thinking skills, memory and behaviour was worse than that of teenage drinking.

The researchers, from the University of Montreal, urged teenagers to delay their use of cannabis for as long as they felt able.

The study tracked and tested 3,800 adolescents over four years, starting from around the age of 13.

Drinking alcohol and taking drugs, such as cannabis, at a young age is known to cause problems with cognitive abilities such as learning, attention and decision-making as well as academic performance at school.

This study found these problems increased as cannabis use increased - and the effects were lasting, unlike those of alcohol.

Looks like more pot demonization, will have to see if study is accurate or propaganda since anti-weed nonsense has kicked into overdrive.

There have been many studies like this for a long time with similar results, some others probably not, it's hard to say. I don't think it should be dismissed so easily.

It doesn't say how often the teens used, how frequently, but if it was several times a week or every day I would be surprised if there wasn't effects on cognition.

Hell, there is studies on young infants that watching TV shows not deemed educational (interactive, engaging, meaningful) then that can affect their cognition too.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

/thread

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
Western Civilization: "Pot is bad!"

Also Western Civilization: "Now take this drug that makes you potentially suicidal, violent, more depressed and takes away your empathy! Wash it down with some alcohol. Do you want some added sugar .. in everything?"

:clap
From what I've seen recently their isn't much empathy to take away.

:draper2

·
From parts unknown
23,261 Posts
From what I've seen recently their isn't much empathy to take away.

:draper2
And then you prescribe drugs that take whatever there is away. So many mass shooters were on SSRIs and many couldn't cope with the side effects and withdrawals having quit .. but pot is what's illegal.

Don't do drugs kids. Except the ones we give you!

·
E:16
6,195 Posts
Reactions: Reaper

·
Registered
904 Posts
You cant deny that if it was legalized nationwide, more teens wouldnt get their hands on it, doesnt matter the age restrictions. You see it in tobacco and alcohol. 12 and 13 year old kids can get their hands on it whether from a parent, older brother/sister, parents of friends, etc... Even so, I am a fan of legalizing it. While I dont think it cures cancer, I do believe there are some positive medicinal effects of it and dont think its any worse than alcohol.

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,745 Posts
We have this super expensive drug that we have a patent on that will help you with all your problems, but it will cause you to go broke....

but don't go buy a dime bag for a percentage of the price that will actually work WAY better for you :bosque

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
If anything, this should strenghten the cause for legalization; dealers don't ask for IDs, whereas stores do (or at least they're supposed to).

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts

Not really they could just make it like alcohol and make the legal aga 21

·
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
14,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't like their "Think of the children" narrative while pumping kids full of mind altering drugs.

·
I'm too busy, faded in Japan with the crew
10,398 Posts
Yeah, no shit.

Kids shouldn't be toking up.

They should just give me all their weeds.

:tommy

·
@delecast
4,405 Posts
Breaking news: children using drugs is bad, mmmkay?

Fucking legalize it. Or don't. Won't stop me :hoganjam:hoganjam:hoganjam:hoganjam

1 - 18 of 18 Posts