Wrestling Forum banner

WON - Update on Whether Rock will be wrestling at WrestleMania 39

5216 136
Dave Meltzer has reported that The Rock will NOT be wrestling Roman Reigns at this years WrestleMania but may still appear on the show in some capacity.

Dave notes that with the deadline to lock plans in approaching, Dwayne couldn’t guarantee he’d be available or be able to get himself into ring shape but hasn’t ruled out wrestling in the future.
81 - 100 of 137 Posts

· Registered
2,945 Posts
You don't end a rein that doing best attendance in a decade+ unless there is someone as over as Reigns to put belt on and there isn't right now

Another huge ctowd for SD tonight, it's not that long ago SD couldn't give away tickets..
It's nothing against Reigns I like the guy but he's been champ for 850 days. It's ok to give him a rest. You say there's nobody and that may be true but how can you have somebody when 1 guy is the company. It's time to give someone else the belt and split the champs.

· Distant Relative of Former Def Jam President
18,456 Posts
Plans for Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Roman Reigns facing off at WWE WrestleMania 39 have reportedly been put on ice, but that hasn't stopped people from hoping it will happen. According to the Wrestling Observer's Dave Meltzer, Johnson indicated to WWE that he will not have the time to properly prepare for the epic showdown.

The report didn't stop another Anoa'i family member from continuing the speculation. During an exclusive interview with AdFreeShows.com, Lance Anoa'i, son of Samu, spoke about the would-be bloodline clash and stated that everyone, including the family, wants to see it.

"To me, Roman Reigns is on a whole nother level," Lance Anoa'i said. "I think he's above The Rock, I think he's one of – I believe he's the best WWE superstar in almost history. He stepped up his game, he went from the doubters, everybody booing him and he took that and grew. Now he's the top dog, he's the high chief and we all acknowledge him. His promos, between him and the family, especially when him and Jey [Uso] were feuding, every time I watched them it just brought goosebumps [to me]. And now with The Rock in talk, man, everybody is going to see who's the head of the table in the family now ... if it happens. That's a big if. I heard The Rock in an interview say he's the head of the table and I heard Roman Reigns is the head of the table. I'll be watching."

Those hanging on to the hope of The Rock being involved in Mania will likely be glued to Monday's "Raw is XXX" special, with WWE planning an "acknowledgment ceremony" honoring Reigns. Among the members of the Anoa'i family confirmed to appear are Rikishi, Samu, Afa, and Reigns' father Sika.

Reactions: Tomzy95

· Registered
281 Posts
Betonline has stopped letting anyone put money on The Rock to win the Rumble, whatever that means. Maybe a gambler could help?
From my experience in sports betting it would seem he's such a huge favorite to win it with so much money already on him that they took him off the board. They have no idea if he's even in it or not so they can't keep lowering the odds for him while raising everybody elses.

· None. More. Hated.
Out The Curtain, Lights Go Up, I'm Home..
17,788 Posts
From my experience in sports betting it would seem he's such a huge favorite to win it that they took him off the board. They probably have no idea if he's in it or not so they can't put him in it as an underdog.

He was plus 400 earlier today. Third favorite. Now he's locked. I guess they're taking the Meltzer report as gospel that he won't be there?

· Registered
281 Posts
He was plus 400 earlier today. Third favorite. Now he's locked. I guess they're taking the Meltzer report as gospel that he won't be there?
Figured he'd have been lower than +400. I take it Cody is the favorite and I would guess Seth 2nd favorite? I'd definitely bet Rock at +400. WWE would do everything in their power to prevent Meltzer from knowing if he was actually gonna be in it.

· None. More. Hated.
17,788 Posts
Figured he'd have been lower than +400. I take it Cody is the favorite and I would guess Seth 2nd favorite? I'd definitely bet Rock at +400. WWE would do everything in their power to prevent Meltzer from knowing if he was actually gonna be in it.

I've kept up with it loosely for a while and it's been holding about Cody minus 100, Sami plus 200, Rock plus 400. With fluctuations here and there. I just went to check it an hour ago and saw the lock besides Rocks name and was like..oh.

· Registered
281 Posts
I've kept up with it loosely for a while and it's been holding about Cody minus 100, Sami plus 200, Rock plus 400. With fluctuations here and there. I just went to check it an hour ago and saw the lock besides Rocks name and was like..oh.
Those are low odds for Sami I can't see him winning the Rumble but maybe a title shot at Elimination Chamber in Montreal after The Bloodline kicks him out. Do they have odds on Roman winning it I could see that like someone else mentioned and then The Rock comes out?

· None. More. Hated.
17,788 Posts
Those are low odds for Sami I can't see him winning the Rumble but maybe a title shot at Elimination Chamber in Montreal after The Bloodline kicks him out. Do they have odds on Roman winning it I could see that like someone else mentioned and then The Rock comes out?

They have a future for Roman vs. Rock if it happens at Mania that has Roman at minus 300.

Samis odds skyrocketed after Survivor Series when the Bloodline took him in and you could tell where the story was going with him and Roman. He went from like plus 1000 to plus 200 and has stayed around there.

· Registered
10,183 Posts
Dave Meltzer also said in the observer “That he could not confirm that The Rock has officially turned down the match and it is still possible that a Rock return is being kept a closely-guarded secret”. If Rock were to return this would be the case

I find it hard to believe Rock didnt have enough time to prepare. Rock has known for 2 years WM39 was gonna be in LA. I think this report is a red herring
You can really only go two ways with The Rock first is you promote the living hell out of it maximizing the press and interest it can generate or you go shadow ops with it and only the most need to know people have any info have any knowledge of it. You even get fake stories out there saying it isn't happening.

Of course we all know Meltzer has no WWE sources and likely even less sources close to the Rock's inner circle and hedges his bets as it were on everything he says.

· Registered
281 Posts
They have a future for Roman vs. Rock if it happens at Mania that has Roman at minus 300.

Samis odds skyrocketed after Survivor Series when the Bloodline took him in and you could tell where the story was going with him and Roman. He went from like plus 1000 to plus 200 and has stayed around there.
They might've taken Rock off the board because if you bet the right amounts on Cody -100 and Rock +400 you should be guaranteed a profit as I don't see any other outcome. Sami could but that doesn't scream WrestleMania Main Event to me unless he does win it and wants his title shot at Elimination Chamber in Montreal and loses then they set up The Rock or Cody from there for Mania.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
My thing is, who’s to say Rock can’t challenge Roman despite not being in the rumble? Maybe Cody wins the rumble, chooses the WWE title and Rock challenges Reigns for the Universal title.

· Registered
3,542 Posts
Well no shit lol. And next year people will still speculate that Rock is coming for a match and so would the year after etc.

With Austin having a match at 58 and rock being only 50, you can expect people to keep expecting Rock to come for a match every mania for the next decade.

Doesn’t matter that the guy already said that he has retired And not plan to wrestle again.

Doesn’t matter that he obviously has multiple businesses to run on top of movie roles that requires him to be 100% healthy and not taking any unnecessary risks.

All that matters is that if he even posts some random video of himself wrestling, people will take that as a guarantee that he intends to come back for a match….

I for one love it when every year we get threads on here about how Rock is returning and then seing all these ignorant peoples hopes and ideas about Rock wreaking crash .

Rock already came for “one last run” , no need to turn into Taker where he would always “retire “ after his mania match only to “return” with huge announcement the next year where he “retires” again and then returns again.

Rock retired 20 years ago, came back after people begged him for one final run and that’s it.
This is true … was on the forums in the 2000s - people were BEGGING for the rock to return left and right. Then he does and of course segments of the IWC complain about it etc. He did what he had to do already. Anything after 2013 has been icing on the cake he owes nothing. Would be awesome for the sake of the storyline for him to be involved tho.

· All Out
Penta El Presente Nombre Is 1 Name Change Away From Being Johnny Penta To Me Forever. TalentedAF Tho
3,116 Posts
Rock won’t be in the Rumble. I confirmed that with his people just a moment ago. And yes, I know I am only slightly more of a reliable source than Xero and Meltzer.

I did also confirm that they are still going to have Rock face Roman at ‘Mania. Night One will feature Roman dropping one of his titles to Cody, with Roman facing Rock on Night Two - with the current plan being for Roman to retain his other title.

· None. More. Hated.
17,788 Posts
Rock won’t be in the Rumble. I confirmed that with his people just a moment ago. And yes, I know I am only slightly more of a reliable source than Xero and Meltzer.

I did also confirm that they are still going to have Rock face Roman at ‘Mania. Night One will feature Roman dropping one of his titles to Cody, with Roman facing Rock on Night Two - with the current plan being for Roman to retain his other title.

Kermit?

· Registered
1,311 Posts

Assuming you aren’t being cheeky, what a disastrous plan. Can’t believe they’re going the underdog route with Reigns.

· Registered
9,013 Posts
Maybe come in, cost Roman the titles and maybe next year sometime they can have that match.

Pretty similar to Cena Rock feud start but makes more sense if Bloodline takes shots at him.
I think even this rumor that Rock won't be at Rumble could be used in a storyline that Rock thinks he's above the event or that he is too washed to enter the competition. Not sure if Meltzer is on the money, but it does seem odd that this news comes out now to not get people expecting to see Rock as a surprise entrant.

Having people speculate adds to the drama of who will come out next after the buzzer, but I also get not trying to let people down who expect Rock.

This could be interesting, BUT I would think from a story perspective Night 1 Roman goes over the other family dynasty wrestling star in Cody. Night 2 he then brags he's the greatest ever in his family, but Rock tries to show him otherwise. Roman ends up showing he is the head of the table of that family too.

Of course, this doesn't fix the problem of the two titles. It also doesn't do any good for Cody to job either. From what I could see happening in that scenario of Cody night 1 and Rock night 2 is Roman turning face after getting his victory over Rock saving face from a loss to Rhodes family.

Roman and Cody feud after? Not sure.

81 - 100 of 137 Posts