Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer opened up on the decision to have Wyatt and Bryan in a match at the upcoming Survivor Series show:

"He (Triple H) also said that there was talk of doing Lesnar vs. Cole vs. Wyatt at Survivor Series, but the decision was that Lesnar vs. Mysterio was the right program to continue at this time and that meant they had to do something else with the other two.

"Plus, right now, Wyatt should be kept apart completely from Lesnar for a long time. With the push they are giving Wyatt, they need to protect him for the super guy, and that’s Lesnar, not Reigns, although those would be the two key programs."

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. There is absolutely no way they are keeping Wyatt strong for Brock and not for Reigns.

It's so unbelievably stupid that I can't believe it. Even if I put aside my personal bias, which would suggest that Wyatt is not used as an obstacle for neither Brock nor Roman, I can't believe they would build up a monster heel for an old part timer who, as it is, it's already way more built up than said monster heel. At least Reigns is young and in the prime of his athletic career.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
I can't believe they would build up a monster heel for an old part timer who, as it is, it's already way more built up than said monster heel. At least Reigns is young and in the prime of his athletic career.
you are aware that reigns is 34 whilst brock is 42 right? I mean sure, roman has some more time left in him but there isnt really vast difference in age tbh.

Roman likely wont be retiring that long after brock in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
you are aware that reigns is 34 whilst brock is 42 right? I mean sure, roman has some more time left in him but there isnt really vast different in age tbh.
Well, there are 8 more years for Roman. 8 years is a lot of time, when it comes to sport; of course it isn't a vast difference in age, but when it comes to career longevity, especially when you're in your 30es and an athlete, 8 years are a lot.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Reigns is gonna beat him at Mania. That's pretty obvious.

This was Meltzer speculating. He said they need to protect Wyatt, but that the two key programs for The Fiend are Brock and Reigns. But the reality is, he will go down to Reigns before he ends up facing Brock. Unless they somehow get the title off The Fiend, which can certainly be possible next month. It's TLC so they can Bryan win the title there and protect The Fiend since it won't be a pinfall loss. But whoever has that belt come Mania is dropping it to Reigns. And most likely, that will be The Fiend.

you are aware that reigns is 34 whilst brock is 42 right? I mean sure, roman has some more time left in him but there isnt really vast difference in age tbh.

Roman likely wont be retiring that long after brock in the grand scheme of things.
How can you say this with a straight face?

In 8 years Brock will be 50 years old. And Reigns will be the age Brock is currently. There is a big difference in their age.

Reigns is a full-time act and the top guy in the company. He's gonna be around for at least another 5 years on that basis. And then may be stick around part-time beyond that for a few more years. That's basically a decade they have from him.

Brock isn't gonna be wrestling when he's 50 years old. There's a lot more mileage left in Reigns than there is in Brock.

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
How can you say this with a straight face?

In 8 years Brock will be 50 years old. And Reigns will be the age Brock is currently. There is a big difference in their age.

Reigns is a full-time act and the top guy in the company. He's gonna be around for at least another 5 years on that basis. And then may be stick around part-time beyond that for a few more years. That's basically a decade they have from him.

Brock isn't gonna be wrestling when he's 50 years old. There's a lot more mileage left in Reigns than there is in Brock.
One has gone through 2 lots of cancer treatment though. That must have some sort of impact on the body.

Also, Reigns could turn around in 6 months and retire. He probably won't but none of us have any way of knowing. Seems a bit ridiculous to make such sweeping statements about how long each persons career will last.

·
Premium Member
11,493 Posts
I cannot imagine Reigns getting the superman treatment anymore to be honest. He would just get booed again and WWE probably don't want that issue to occur anymore. A super heel needs to take down Wyatt. Not a face. Wyatt is just too popular. Whoever beats him will get booed out of the building.

And I love people arguing about age. Age should not be an issue. DDP was in his 40s at his peak. Ric Flair was world championship material in his 50s. And this was in the 90s when wrestling was run by drugs, unprotected headshots etc. Wrestlers from this generation will be healthy for far much longer.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
as its already been stated, roman has had some serious health issues which may or may not effect his career longevity. Edge for example retired at what? mid to late 30s? because of his associated risks, so its perfectly possible that roman will not be wrestling when he is 42, who knows. You cannot say for a fact that wwe will get longer out of him, that is impossible to state, its quite likely but not certain. Many wrestlers have retired well before most of us wouldve guessed. It might even be a reason why wwe hasnt pushed him so hard since his return. Cena is essentially gone and he is the same age as brock.

given the greater risks of wrestling at an older age anyway, its at least somewhat likely that roman will not be wanting to put his body such through high impact damage when he reaches into his 40s. If he sticks around a few more years after brock then its a few extra years, nothing groundbreaking.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I cannot imagine Reigns getting the superman treatment anymore to be honest. He would just get booed again and WWE probably don't want that issue to occur anymore. A super heel needs to take down Wyatt. Not a face. Wyatt is just too popular. Whoever beats him will get booed out of the building.

And I love people arguing about age. Age should not be an issue. DDP was in his 40s at his peak. Ric Flair was world championship material in his 50s. And this was in the 90s when wrestling was run by drugs, unprotected headshots etc. Wrestlers from this generation will be healthy for far much longer.
I agree completely with your first paragraph, everybody seems to think he will reach the same level he was at before and I really don’t think thats going to happen. The spot he’s in right now is working and he can fluctuate from Main Event to Upper Mid Card, that’s where he has always belonged. I think his days of being FOTC are over.

Of course you never know but I just don’t see it, I hope I’m right because I can’t take another Superman run from him or anybody else for that matter.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,694 Posts

By that logic, Batista and AJ Styles are basically the same age.

In athletics, eight years is an absolute lifetime.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
My personal 2 cents is Vince is just saving Bray to feed him to his big dawg..

Hmmm.. it just dawned me. Now that Bray has the belt both brands have a top champ that is absent most of the time except for the occasional segment or run-in. Brock because he got the sweet deal of getting. a boat load of $ for little work. Bray, because they are protecting him..

·
Here Comes The Money
1,972 Posts
Please, they probably just didn't want Lesnar looking weak as well. I mean it wasn't too long ago Lesnar lost to Rollins (Who was not 100%) clean, so imagine them having to choose in either making the Fiend look like a million bucks or have Lesnar ruin something hot this early.

Also Cole would've look like a chump with these two.

·
Queen of all Galaxies
3,460 Posts
Wow, what a big deal that would've been. The Fiend could've just pinned Adam Cole. Remember how Seth pinned Roman at WrestleMania 31 and Michael Cole always reminded us until Battleground 2015 that Brock wasn't beaten for the title, right?

I really wanted to see that, but I guess they think Bryan and Rey jobbing is better. What a waste.

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,979 Posts
Bray is losing to Roman not Brock, Dave :lmao

It'll work this time because Roman finally has the people on his side, and Bray is an evil motherfucker most will enjoy see losing to Roman.

Brock isn't done feuding with Cain or Rey, that's his Mania plans set.

·
Registered
22,858 Posts
Bray is losing to Roman not Brock, Dave :lmao

It'll work this time because Roman finally has the people on his side, and Bray is an evil motherfucker most will enjoy see losing to Roman.

Brock isn't done feuding with Cain or Rey, that's his Mania plans set.
I don't know, that is the ultimate test.

They've done a good job with Roman since he's come back from leukemia of not just shoving him right back into the title picture. He's gotten to a point now where most audiences generally love him.

But now he would be going against this crazy clown demon that looks so cool it's almost impossible to boo him. So I don't know if at the end of the day if Roman would still get cheered like he is now against Bray. If he fought someone like AJ or Seth (who might as well be a heel now), probably. But against Bray? That's a tough hill to climb.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts