Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Ω Champion
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Kenny Omega went to Japan for the DDT show, he was stopped going into the country. It’s the third time this has happened since he left New Japan. Something happened where there was an attempt to get him banned from going to Japan for ten years. He did get in, like he has every time, and worked the show. But he was very bitter about New Japan and Nick Jackson made a cryptic tweet about New Japan. Suffice to say feelings are very bad right now with them, even though Jericho is going to the Tokyo Dome since he has a separate deal. Nothing has been said regarding Jon Moxley at the Tokyo Dome but there are still two months to go
NJPW with WWE levels of pettiness.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
How is that lit, especially if Omega didn't do anything? Actually, don't answer. I'm aware.

Petty shit from New Japan if this is true and they did this because they harbor feelings about the Elite leaving. I enjoy New Japan and everything but this is the same company that still won't forgive IMPACT for past transgressions for Okada and Naito (as justified as it was back then with the former management). Either they need to let it go and just completely move on from the AEW crew or just partner up and put past issues aside.

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,601 Posts
How would NJPW of all companies in Japan have the political clout to achieve this? Most likely just tried to enter the country with visa from past NJPW employment. Since he'sno longer employed and tried to enter with that, it could spark someone in the immigration offices applying a standard regulation ban.

·
Registered
76 Posts
How would NJPW of all companies in Japan have the political clout to achieve this? Most likely just tried to enter the country with visa from past NJPW employment. Since he'sno longer employed and tried to enter with that, it could spark someone in the immigration offices applying a standard regulation ban.
I was thinking the same thing, doesn't he have a dual citizenship?
Ibushi wouldn't be happy about that.

·
Benson, Charisma and Camila Mendes Fan. King Of Th
16,202 Posts
All Kenny Omega did was commit to his contract with NJPW and it ran out. He didn't want to re-sign with them. These guys are some petty ass fucks.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
NJPW with WWE levels of pettiness.
Nah that's worse than WWE. They have never actually out right banned or tried to blackball a talent from an entire country. Unless you count pac having to sit out the entirety of his contract. Did they do that with Bret?

Also how does one ban a talent from a country? I thought wrestling wasn't government sanctioned entertainment. Like gedo doesn't have a political ally does he?

·
None. More. Hated.
5,284 Posts
How is that lit, especially if Omega didn't do anything? Actually, don't answer. I'm aware.

Petty shit from New Japan if this is true and they did this because they harbor feelings about the Elite leaving. I enjoy New Japan and everything but this is the same company that still won't forgive IMPACT for past transgressions for Okada and Naito (as justified as it was back then with the former management). Either they need to let it go and just completely move on from the AEW crew or just partner up and put past issues aside.
What did you think my answer was going to be?

·
Premium Member
4,063 Posts
I understand if the ban for Kenny Omega is if he did something like Matt Sydal previously, because that was actually breaking the law. I doubt Kenny Omega has done anything that would warrant an immigration red flag when he's done nothing bad and New Japan doesn't exactly represent Japanese politics not unless they have connections over there.

Really petty if they did try. Didn't he make sure to fulfill everything in his contract before it ran out? I don't think that should be a negative for him. Then again, was Kenny Omega a dick to them on his way out? Did he bury the company, their booker, reveal his booking plans for the future since I can assume he probably knew ahead of time? That part is where we won't know not unless he did say something on social media or someone got hold of that crucial information.

As for the immigration part, I understand Japanese immigration can be really strict and unless his passport is flagged for whatever reason and as long as he's not doing anything wrong then I don't think there would be a problem. If New Japan was doing anything behind the scenes it would be incredibly illegal imo.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
That's pretty low, if true. Damn try to under cut a guy who put you on the map overseas and did more great for the company then bad. His matches with Okada put NJPW over newer fans and their tours outside Japan did their best business with him around. Also I stand by that MSG show sold out cause people thought they were getting a Omega vs Okada 5 match.

I'm not 100% it was them doing it but you can tell AEW and NJPW won't be teaming up anytime soon.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
He has dual citizenship - so, it won’t be a work visa issue

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,979 Posts
:lmao FUCK OFF, DAVE

This isn't the 90's where Inoki and Baba could make the govt don whatever they wanted at any time. For example when Dr Death got busted for drugs, Baba met with some govt suits and it went away. Those days are loooooooooooooooong gone.

Omega got held up because of his visa, not because Gedo booked it, you fucking marks :lmao

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,601 Posts
He has dual citizenship - so, it won’t be a work visa issue
Let's assume NJPW helped him get a dual citizenship. They'd be sponsoring it and given that he no longer works there and entered on intent of working with DDT, seems like an immigration issue rather than a NJPW issue. Seems like something people would blame American immigration on if it happened in America than AEW, WWE etc.

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,601 Posts
Here is what someone said on the VOW discord:

"This is all speculation, but I have 13 years of experience in the Japanese immigration system, so I can speak from my experience at least. First of all, he definitely doesn't have citizenship if they're holding him up at the airport.
Unless entertainer visas are significantly different than other categories (of which I've worked under several), they typically give you 1, 3, or 5 year periods of stay.

Employers usually sponsor these, but they are not connected to you working for that specific employer. I can do any kind of work that falls under the rubric of the visa for any company, can change companies, etc.
However, if you are resident, you are supposed to inform the ward office of your residence about your current work situation and if there are any changes within, I think,10 days of said change.

Also, though the visa is not attached to your employer, it is attached to you residing and working in Japan. If you don't engage in the activities the visa permits for 90 days, the government is able to revoke it.

So if Kenny did indeed get in trouble, I doubt New Japan did anything. Either he A) didn't sort things out with the authorities before he left last time or B) is still working on the New Japan visa and hasn't done anything related to entertaining in Japan for an extended area of time

When he entered, the immigration officials probably saw that NJPW sponsored his visa, saw that he hadn't been in the country for X days, contacted NJPW to check with them, found out he hasn't worked for them since January, then had to get in contact with DDT to straighten things out. I can see the whole process being a long, drawn-out headache"

Now this sounds much more logical (because of its complexity - ironic huh) than New Japan tried to stop him. That's stupid and The Sun levels of research done by Dave who decided to go off what Omega said and not look into it further, because of course he did.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
New Japan make Kenny Omega a star to a Japanese audience. Omega decides he wants to try and cut into their business by taking an executive position in a start-up. He still strings them along for negotiations and publicly speaks about them not making big enough offers. New Japan is pissed about Omega working other Japanese promotions in opposition to them. Somehow Omega is a great guy?

Trying to keep him out of the country is a bit extreme (and I’m not sure what evidence there is for it), but blackballing him their prerogative. And once upon a time, promoters would have banded together like that. There was a time when Omega wouldn’t have dared set foot in Japan if he pissed off a promotion that bad.

It probably is something to do with his visa though and New Japan no longer sponsoring him.

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
If this is remotely true, AEW needs to get the title off Jericho before he wrestles in Japan again. If they're going to this level, a screw job is certainly something they'd to.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts