Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the recent issue of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, the quarter hour ratings for this week have revealed that women are once again drawing viewers. This week had three women’s matches, all which saw significant gains and high points of their respective shows.

– The high point of Monday Night Raw was the Kabuki Warriors vs. Charlotte Flair & Becky Lynch title match that did 2,454,000 viewers. The low point, of 1,680,000 viewers was for the beginning of the OC vs. Ricochet & Randy Orton & Humberto Carrillo match, although the audience did grow during the match.

– NXT opened with Lio Rush vs. Angel Garza in a title mach that drew 738,000 viewers and 312,000 in 18-49. In the second quarter, NXT had the ending of Rush vs. Garza plus Xia Li vs. Aliyah. It did 774,000 viewers and 327,000 in 18-49, with gains of 36,000 and 15,000 respectively.

In the main event, NXT had Io Shirai vs. Mia Yim in a ladder match which did 747,000 viewers and 308,000 in 18-49, gains of 75,000 overall and 33,000 in 18-49.

After AEW ended, the NXT overrun gained 215,000 viewers, the largest to date, with 422,000 in 18-49. The overrun improved the overall show number from 735,500 to 750,000.
Source: https://bvmbshelled.com/2019/11/15/women-continue-to-dominate-wwe-viewership-this-week/

·
Registered
458 Posts
The range of what the women do is currently much more interesting. Partially because women's wrestling's exposure to mainstream audiences is allowing for a wider range of new viewing experiences, and partially because on the whole the women's story lines have been, on average, slightly better than the men's.

And right now, quite a lot better than the men's.

I certainly find myself catching up on more of the women's stuff than the men's as someone who has largely stopped watching TV coverage.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
The women are protected and presented as stars more than the men. Most of their feuds seem to be taken more seriously.

You dont see Asuka bringing out hornswoggle dressed as Becky doing her entrance and running around.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
The Becky/Charlotte vs Asuka and Kairi was the highest point of RAW because it was the first segment of the show.

Put the same match in the 2nd hour and i can assure that it would be a different story.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Maybe its cause womens wrestling still somewhat has storylines and they actually still wrestle, no matter how botchy their stuff looks. I get it, its fake, but Ill take a punch that misses by 6 inches before a dumb overly choreographed sequence full of flips & reversals that ends in a posed stare-off like the beginning of a Street Fighter sequence with people standing saying "This is awesome! This is awesome!"....its no more awesome then going to the ballet and watching the Nut Cracker.

·
Southern Pride
2,956 Posts
Some of y'all on here being so pessimistically against women (sexist much?) really must be so much fun at parties. /sarcasm

Can you blame the women getting a lot of views when, mostly in the WWE, a lot of the product creatively isn't great? I mean, it's better than moaning about how terrible WWE is all the time, which is what the majority does...because it's easier being negative. If this news is true, i'm happy for the women.

·
Registered
12,449 Posts
Some of y'all on here being so pessimistically against women (sexist much?) really must be so much fun at parties. /sarcasm

Can you blame the women getting a lot of views when, mostly in the WWE, a lot of the product creatively isn't great? I mean, it's better than moaning about how terrible WWE is all the time, which is what the majority does...because it's easier being negative. If this news is true, i'm happy for the women.
But they aren't exactly getting high viewers if the numbers continually decline. Now don't get me wrong, the numbers have always been in decline even before the women's revolution but "getting a lot of views" is a bit of an overstatement because they aren't exactly increasing the numbers . I don't think it has anything to do with sexism either, I think it has everything to do with the product not being good overall . I know I haven't watched a full episode of RAW and smackdown(except 2 weeks ago) in years , everything important is on youtube.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
while i think looking at quarterly ratings is kinda really dumb considering there's a ton of circumstances that could result in these little changes....like what's happening at that moment on other tv, what time is it, etc.

BUT

not surprised. womens stuff is the only thing worth a damn right now

1 - 20 of 56 Posts