Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Can't wait to hear what the haters got to say about this now.

How about you all admit what any person with more than 2 brain cells can admit.
It was a bit funny to see a bunch of short-term thinking tunnel vision ratings geeks obsess over the tiniest detail every-week, blaming ONE person for the ratings declining, the haters seething as she grows her popularity and reach, getting her face plastered all over the face and on magazine covers, main event WM, and biggest merch mover for a while.

Becky's haters are contributing to the rise of sea levels more than the global morning.

Also, Dave Meltzer and Alvarez can eat shit as well

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
Meltzer rated multiple Young Bucks matches higher than any match Ric Flair or Bret Hart ever had. He lost credibility long ago. Becky was good for ratings and face Seth was bad for them. I will say Becky's writing has gotten much poorer lately but that is not her fault.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
This is more a credit to her fans for keeping her momentum going despite all the setbacks. Losing her match and the Royal rumble against asuka to winning the rumble to being the third slot in that WrestleMania match. The fans stuck by her thru all that. Really mirrors Daniel Bryan's rise to his WrestleMania run. That's rare these days.

Fans are given Roman and Charlotte and told to embrace them but when they get behind their own talent they really push for them. Kudos to those fans.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,181 Posts

Can't wait to hear what the haters got to say about this now.

How about you all admit what any person with more than 2 brain cells can admit.
It was a bit funny to see a bunch of short-term thinking tunnel vision ratings geeks obsess over the tiniest detail every-week, blaming ONE person for the ratings declining, the haters seething as she grows her popularity and reach, getting her face plastered all over the face and on magazine covers, main event WM, and biggest merch mover for a while.

Becky's haters are contributing to the rise of sea levels more than the global morning.

Also, Dave Meltzer and Alvarez can eat shit as well
Where is the evidence for this? We know for a fact that ratings have declined significantly last year.

·
Premium Member
9,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Where is the evidence for this? We know for a fact that ratings have declined significantly last year.
He said on the latest episode.
He says that she was their biggest ratings mover and their biggest star of 2019.

What are the metrics? Does he have access to quarter hour breakdowns? I won't flat out say this isn't true with no evidence of my own but since Becky has been on top WWE has had it's greatest year to year ratings drop.
He and Dave have said the opposite about her before (early last year, when she was still on the rise ;) ), why would he lie now?

Also, I may be mistaken but the drop on average between 2014-2015 might have been bigger.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Even so this doesn't contradicts the claim that Becky is "WWE's biggest ratings mover in 2019".
I am trying to figure out what exactly she moved? She pulled raw from 1.8 million to 2 million?? Its hard to tell because ratings have been horrible this year. Any needle moved had to be marginal.

He said on the latest episode.
He says that she was their biggest ratings mover and their biggest star of 2019.

He and Dave have said the opposite about her before (early last year, when she was still on the rise ;) ), why would he lie now?
I am asking what's Bryan's source for reaching this conclusion? Does he give any numbers?

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
6,294 Posts
I'm sure she was. If that wasn't the case don't you think she would have been booed? Don't you think that her popularity would be at babyface Rollins levels? Ratings declined overall YOY when you look at the big picture but can you really blame Becky for that? The people who stayed were mostly Becky fans given her reactions. The slight highs in the ratings were MOST likely due to Becky's popularity for one and towards the end of the year probably because of Bray Wyatt. They were the ones moving the most merch and getting the best reactions. As far as moving the needle, I'm sure it wasn't anything crazy, but she's a woman in a shitty women's division in a sport that's 90% about male wrestling. It's amazing she's even able to be THIS popular over a year later and still sustain it.

There was nothing else interesting going on that kept people interested so I do believe Bryan here. Just because there are Becky haters online that blame her for the ratings drop YOY overall doesn't mean that it's necessarily true. If it was true, she'd be booed out of the building. Fans these days know what they want and will make noise if they are unhappy with who is being pushed. Its a male-dominated sport so if ratings declined for any reason YOY its because the show as a whole is shit. If they increased for any reason it's because of who was getting the best reactions. Becky and Bray. Simple really.

·
\m/
22,874 Posts
I am trying to figure out what exactly she moved? She pulled raw from 1.8 million to 2 million?? Its hard to tell because ratings have been horrible this year. Any needle moved had to be marginal.
She was the biggest rating mover within those 1.8 millions that is the claim and it is not at all contradicted by the ratings having a year over year drop. In fact it is not even related to that. You can say who was the biggest rating mover of a year without comparing to previous years.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
I don't understand why people even care about the ratings. If you like the show you like the show if you like a performer you like a performer it's as simple as that. This needing to have your opinion validated by some outside source or irrelevant statistic is absurd. I couldn't care any less if she's a ratings mover or not. SHe could drive ratings like Stone Cold did and I(and others) would still be bored to tears with her act. Don't get me wrong it's good news for her personally because it likely means that her spot in the hierarchy is safe and a higher income for her. Beyond that, it's a meaningless statistic that for some reason people will use to needle each other with.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Oh how tasty the salty tears of the haterz are. Becky, the first female FOTC; the pioneer for mainstream women's wrestling; the true badass of the biggest promotion in the world, comes out on top.

Live it up, baby.

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,297 Posts
I'm sure she was. If that wasn't the case don't you think she would have been booed? Don't you think that her popularity would be at babyface Rollins levels? Ratings declined overall YOY when you look at the big picture but can you really blame Becky for that? The people who stayed were mostly Becky fans given her reactions. The slight highs in the ratings were MOST likely due to Becky's popularity for one and towards the end of the year probably because of Bray Wyatt. They were the ones moving the most merch and getting the best reactions. As far as moving the needle, I'm sure it wasn't anything crazy, but she's a woman in a shitty women's division in a sport that's 90% about male wrestling. It's amazing she's even able to be THIS popular over a year later and still sustain it.

There was nothing else interesting going on that kept people interested so I do believe Bryan here. Just because there are Becky haters online that blame her for the ratings drop YOY overall doesn't mean that it's necessarily true. If it was true, she'd be booed out of the building. Fans these days know what they want and will make noise if they are unhappy with who is being pushed. Its a male-dominated sport so if ratings declined for any reason YOY its because the show as a whole is shit. If they increased for any reason it's because of who was getting the best reactions. Becky and Bray. Simple really.
You kinda contradict your own logic here, you said the fans that stayed were mostly Becky fans, you acknowledge that a lot of fans have left, but you say if she was the reason for the ratings drop then she would be getting booed.

If seeing Becky as the FOTC makes me unhappy, I'm not going to be eager to watch the show, more importantly I'm not going to pay money to see the show live. I don't watch the show live specifically so I can skip the people like Becky that I don't want to see, I stopped going to shows because if I'm there, I'm forced to watch the people I don't like.

The point is if she ran away the people that don't like here then she wouldn't get booed because the people making up the audience actually do like her.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
6,294 Posts
You kinda contradict your own logic here, you said the fans that stayed were mostly Becky fans, you acknowledge that a lot of fans have left, but you say if she was the reason for the ratings drop then she would be getting booed.

If seeing Becky as the FOTC makes me unhappy, I'm not going to be eager to watch the show, more importantly I'm not going to pay money to see the show live. I don't watch the show live specifically so I can skip the people like Becky that I don't want to see, I stopped going to shows because if I'm there, I'm forced to watch the people I don't like.

The point is if she ran away the people that don't like here then she wouldn't get booed because the people making up the audience actually do like her.
What I'm saying is that the fans that have left were mostly fans that were disgruntled at the product as a whole. Becky even at the height of her popularity maybe took up 15-20 minutes, if that, of air time on a weekly basis. What about the other 80% of the time when WWE was putting out the worst content possible? Saying that she's the FOTC is just a cute thing that WWE has her say because she's so popular and main evented Mania, but If she was a real FOTC like Reigns or Cena were pushed to be, she would always have like 3 segments a night plus the main event match on every RAW/SD. She barely gets one segment these days.

I understand that not everyone is a Becky fan, but if they were to change the channel during her segment, come back afterwards to see Ricochet flipping around, or Lucha House Party, or another meaningless 6 man tag, or to see any of the other trash they put on whenever Becky is not on the screen, they would change the channel again or give up on the show altogether. Non-Becky fans are a small minority. And given that she is still so popular after all this time, there is no possible way that she can be the reason for the YOY decline. The women's division doesn't matter that much unfortunately. If anything, she could only create highs in the ratings because of her personal charisma and popularity, which Bryan confirms.

·
Fearless University Graduate
14,988 Posts
The facts/numbers behind this would be interesting considering ratings have been spiralling downwards the entire time she's been on top. Not her fault of course, its the whole product but she's been on top for a real low point.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts