Wrestling Forum banner

WM XX or Backlash 2004: Chris Benoit vs Shawn Michaels vs Triple H

4850 Views 21 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  Cerbs
Which was the better match? IMO while WM XX was more emotional their match at Backlash 2004 just told a better story. Seeing HBK tap out to the sharpshooter was just revenge served right. Also Triple H crawling to try to break the hold was like the icing on the cake, made the moment even better.

So overall I prefer their encounter at Backlash.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Lucy Snorebush
2,166 Posts
WM 20 easily. That match is actually in my all time top 10, the icing on the cake was Benoits first world title win also, so it had much more emotion involved.

· Registered
2,454 Posts
Backlash

I ordered that ppv. Everyone expected Benoit to lose the title to either Triple H or HBK. For one, it was in Benoit's home town. Secondly, the poster for Bad Blood, featuring Triple H and HBK in a cell, was released before Backlash. You could looking at other wrestling sites and see that people predicted that Benoit would lose the title before Bad Blood. Not to mention, it was uncommon for Triple H to not hold the title.

Other reasons the Backlash > WM 20 includes the crowd which was much more lively at Backlash than Wrestlemania. Triple H was already a hated heel, and HBK was the biggest heel in the match. Benoit, on the other hand, was the clear cut underdog and favorite compared to Wrestlemania 20.

IMO, the win at Backlash did more for Benoit than Benoit's win at WM 20. Benoit still didn't look or feel like a main eventer after winning the title. By defending the title again. and making HHH and HBK tap back to back at ppvs, Benoit proved himself.

· Registered
9,456 Posts
Both matches were brilliant, especially their endings. Making Triple H, who'd been pretty dominant for the past 16 months, submit at Wrestlemania XX was awesome. It was the best start to a championship reign ever and a truly memorable moment in Wrestlemania history. The fans reaction was incerdible.

The Backlash match had the brilliant twist of being held in Canada. The Canadian fans despised HBK and made their opinions very vocal. To make HBK submit to the sharpshooter was a great ending as it played so heavily on the old Hart/HBK rivalry and the infamous screwjob.

Both matches were great but, for me, the Wrestlemania match gets it! The excitement and the emotion at the end of the match made it particularly special for me.

· Registered
484 Posts
Both matches were brilliant, especially their endings. Making Triple H, who'd been pretty dominant for the past 16 months, submit at Wrestlemania XX was awesome. It was the best start to a championship reign ever and a truly memorable moment in Wrestlemania history. The fans reaction was incerdible.

The Backlash match had the brilliant twist of being held in Canada. The Canadian fans despised HBK and made their opinions very vocal. To make HBK submit to the sharpshooter was a great ending as it played so heavily on the old Hart/HBK rivalry and the infamous screwjob.

Both matches were great but, for me, the Wrestlemania match gets it! The excitement and the emotion at the end of the match made it particularly special for me.
I agree...couldn't have said it better myself.

· Registered
6,303 Posts
Honestly, if you swapped the content of the two matches, it wouldn't matter. The WrestleMania match would get more votes and love no matter what, because it marked Benoit's first title win and culminated with he and Guerrero celebrating. There's nothing the Backlash match could do to equal those intangibles.

· The Winds of Change
5,629 Posts
Vintage™;9424680 said:
Wrestlemania 20, just for the emotion and the image of Benoit and Eddie hugging in the ring with the confetti falling down.
I agree. But I remember thinking to myself when I was watching the Backlash triple threat match, that it was a damn good match, possibly better than the Mania one.

Can't beat the emotion of Mania though.

· Registered
7,988 Posts
WMXX for sure just for the emotion of Beniot winning the belt against the odds of being in the ring with HHH and HBK. I think that makes it a better match tough both are great triple threat matches which says something cos most triple threats are weak and not remembered at all.

· Registered
10,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
According to Meltzer he rated WM XX match ****3/4 while their match at Backlash got ****1/4 (which is complete bullshit as he also gave Foley vs Orton ****1/4) but anyway I think it should be the other way around. I give their match at Mania ****1/4 while their match at Backlash is ****3/4 for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.