Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As part of WWE’s First Quarter 2012 earnings report announced on Thrusday, the company released pay-per-view buyrate information for this year’s Royal Rumble and Elimination chamber events.

The Royal Rumble drew 443,000 buys, down from 446,000 buys in 2011, and 462,000 buys in 2010.

Elimination Chamber did 178,000 buys, down from 199,000 buys in 2011 and 285,000 buys in 2010.

Even though the Royal Rumble and Elimination Chamber both did fewer buys in 2012 than they did in 2011, revenue was essentially the same due to more viewers ordering the high-definition feeds of the events, which are more expensive and made up the lost revenue.

As for WrestleMania 28′s buyrate, the official numbers will not be reported until WWE announces its Second Quarter 2012 results in a few months,but WWE CEO Vince McMahon did say that the buyrate is expected to be “nearly 1.3 million pay-per-view buys globally,” indicating the final number might be less than the 1.3 million estimate WWE previously touted.
I think it would probably end up being slightly above WM 23's record.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Less than 1.3M but WWE said 1.3M, so I'm guessing it was prob something like 1.25M and WWE rounded it to 1.3M.

But that's something real important what was stated. WWE had less buys, but around same amount of money made on those 2 PPVs. So people thinking WWE is in worse trouble with decreasing buyrates should first consider how much money they're making from those ppvs.

·
Banned
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They usually inflate the numbers so that WWE stock price doesnt go down. Its a safety measure I think.

·
Banned
2,080 Posts
So thats already Two PPV buys lesser than previous year's. I guess we know what the trend is going to be this year.

·
Premium Member
17,319 Posts
If they can't draw what they want with the Rock v Cena, than I don't know. A cheaper price will help. Better entertainment will help. But this is selling 101. Right now, their goal is making people feel leaft out if they don't buy PPVs. They made wrestlemania 28 seem greater than all the other PPVs this time. So maybe since htey haven't scheduled a match a year in advance they might be able to try different things and get different kinds of viewers.

I wish them luck in all their future endevours.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I still have no idea how the fuck WM 23 has such a high buys number? Trump's Lashley vs Vince's Umaga? Really? I saw wrestling during that time and as much as people want to say Trump had a big following, he really didn't. The rest of the card is alright too with Cena/HBk and Batista/Taker but jesus fucking christ, I just don't get it. I feel the number was made to seem higher so Vince can tout his horn on his marketability cause there is no way in hell this WM did so many buys, it's dumbfounding.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if it is around that number. I mean, The Rock Vs. Cena! That was classic. it was a battle of the decades. Rock was popular in the late 90's through early 200/2001. Cena took over from there. If you recall, The Rock faced Hulk Hogan at wrestlemania some years prior, and The Rock won! So I was glad I saw it :)

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
They usually inflate the numbers so that WWE stock price doesnt go down. Its a safety measure I think.
You realize that by law they aren't allowed to do this right? They are a public company.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Yes they can, there are several work around the legality issues. They can inflate the number and call it "Early estimate".
This is very true. Sadly, this is a fact of getting around these kinds of things. However, this is usually only allowed for estimates. I dont believe that it is allowed for actual statements on record.

·
Ceramic Wizard Bong
3,993 Posts
I still have no idea how the fuck WM 23 has such a high buys number? Trump's Lashley vs Vince's Umaga? Really? I saw wrestling during that time and as much as people want to say Trump had a big following, he really didn't.
While I don't think he was the biggest draw on the card, at that time Trump was at the height of his Apprentice fame, a rating monster, plus his ludicrus hair-do always got as much attention as he did, the chance of it being shaved off probably intrigued a few people into buying.

·
What?
13,511 Posts
Are we really discussing this? Like is the difference really thread-worthy? This reports on nothing but speculation. It's trash.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.