Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often wonder this question, especially if Hogan would have signed with Crockett and stayed there long term what would have happened on that end.

I would be willing to bet the current playing field would be drastically different, Wrestlemania certainly would not have become what it became. Would have never gotten andre vs hogan or warrior vs hogan; may not have gotten the NWO or if you did it Hogan wouldn't have been the 3rd man because his star power wouldn't be as strong in all likelihood. Sting would have been indirectly affected, as well as Flair and Luger.

Its interesting when you start going down this rabbit hole actually.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Of course they would, just not through Hogan. They could've had Andre in Hogan's place at WM1 for example and still done very well.

Probably not as huge but Vince was a marketing and promoting genius so he would've come up with something good.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Vince needed Hogan. He had certain aura about him back then that drew fans. On the other hand promoters like Crockett and Gagne wouldn't know how to market him so in a way Hogan needed Vince to sell him to the masses. I'm sure the WWF would've been fine just not as big as Hogan made them. But definitely the wrestling landscape would be much different at the time.

·
TONI POR TODO!
4,544 Posts
Isn't hard to think of Vince in 1983 having 3 or 4 names in mind for his national expansion, just in case of Hogan saying no to him about returning.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Competition would become more fierce, that's for sure.

Hogan was already the top draw of the AWA at the time, and fans wanted him a champ. Just look up some of his matches against Bockwinkel on youtube.

However, Gagne was reluctant to pull the trigger on Hogan. Maybe he would be forced to down the road, but he would hinder Hogans potential as a mega babyface.

If Hogan never leaves for the WWF. Who does Vince build his franchise around? Savage wont arrive until 1,5 years later, and Andre has 2 years tops of his carreer left.

So Vince has the exposure of national cable, but Gagne has one of the most popular wrestlers in the states.

I think Vince still wins in the end due to exposure of his product, but without a megastar, he will have fewer people tuning in, meaning the WWF won't experience quite as massive of a surge in popularity, which gives the other territories more time to catch up and build their own national fan bases. We might have seen 2-3 wrestling shows battling for viewers on national tv in the mid 80's.

·
Registered
594 Posts
If not Hulk Hogan it would've been Billy jack Haynes, Kerry Von Erich, Magnum T.A, or Barry Windham or any of the top faces at the time.
I know this discussion is purely hypothetic, but do you think any of those guys would actually join the WWF in 84? ?

Isn't Billy Jack the only one of them who actually joined the WWF? Billy Jack only made his wrestling debut in 82. So he was still pretty green and unknown in early 84, when Vince gave Hogan his mega push.

Hogan already had 7 years of experience in 84, and was a proven draw in a big wrestling organisation. And far less cray cray than Billy Jack ?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I wonder if AWA could have used Hogan to solidify their takeover of Western States since the Californian Promotions died even before Vince showed up , IIRC Vince managed to used Hogan to take over California

Since California was such a major pop culture hub it could have been a counter to Vince's control over the East Coast Market

·
Registered
685 Posts
I know this discussion is purely hypothetic, but do you think any of those guys would actually join the WWF in 84? ?

Isn't Billy Jack the only one of them who actually joined the WWF? Billy Jack only made his wrestling debut in 82. So he was still pretty green and unknown in early 84, when Vince gave Hogan his mega push.

Hogan already had 7 years of experience in 84, and was a proven draw in a big wrestling organisation. And far less cray cray than Billy Jack ?
True but Vince could've worked his magic or voodoo depends on who you ask and took a young wet behind the ears guy like Billy and molded him into marketable wrestler after all he did have the look same with Kerry and Barry but Kerry was loyal to WCCW they could've done something with Barry but he wasn't that good in the promo department which would've left Dusty Rhodes as a viable alternative but at that time he was a Crockett man so that would leave us with Magnum T.A a rising star who had the look was good on the stick and had charisma.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
If Hogan didn't leave the AWA, they would have survived well in to the 90s. A lot of guys left believing the AWA weren't going anywhere. With Hogan on top, they would have hung around.

I believe the plan was to do Hogan/Andre in the AWA in a big 3 match series in USA, Japan and Europe before Andre got tied down to an exclusive contract, then you have Hogan/Hansen, Hogan/Lawler, Hogan/Hall, Hogan/Hennig. Who knows, maybe in 91,Flair goes to AWA instead of WWF.

So who does the WWF push? My guess is Slaughter is champ feuding with Iron Sheik, Big John Studd is then an unstoppable WWF champ taking us in to the 1st Mania feuding with Andre. Roddy is then champ and feuding with Orndorff and Snuka. WWF then begin to push Santana and Morales.

I think they are fine in to the late 80s,but then it depends who they can hire. Whether they get Savage, Warrior, Hennig, Bret etc or they go elsewhere.

·
Registered
975 Posts
If not Hulk Hogan it would've been Billy jack Haynes, Kerry Von Erich, Magnum T.A, or Barry Windham or any of the top faces at the time.
LOL at you putting these guys in the same conversation as Hulk Hogan. Even with the right amount of marketing no one has the look quite like Hulk Hogan. Think about it for a second, how many guys exist in history that looked like Hulk Hogan? do you really think in your heart of hearts Barry fucking Windham or Magnum fucking TA could replace the Babe Ruth of our sport? I mean I know history has not been kind to Hogan but my God people

·
I will make something truly astonishing!
4,218 Posts
WWF would have survived.. Vince might be a clueless fuck now, but he wasn't always that way..

But nowhere near the level they got to..
Hogan was the first (modern era - don't think anyone got to his level before that) rassler that got worldwide mainstream recognition / rockstar status, and I feel that none of the others peaking around that time could've filled that role.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Crowd attendance and television ratings were already at peak levels in 1983, a year before Hogan's run began - 13 million tickets sold worldwide. So yes, they would have survived. Vince is enough of a marketing and promoting genius (or at least he was back then) that he would have almost certainly found a way to win even if he didn't have Hogan.

That's not to say Hogan didn't catapult the business to even further heights (especially with WrestleMania) when he arrived, but this view that he was just as integral to the WWF's survival in the 80's as much as, say, Austin was in the 90's when the business was literally at its lowest point ever (where they drew only two million tickets a year before Austin's run started) is largely a myth. It's hard to see anyone doing as well in Hogan's spot as he did, but I don't think the WWF's future relied on him as much as people wanna think.

·
Premium Member
14,885 Posts
Barry Windham did.

LOL at you putting these guys in the same conversation as Hulk Hogan. Even with the right amount of marketing no one has the look quite like Hulk Hogan. Think about it for a second, how many guys exist in history that looked like Hulk Hogan? do you really think in your heart of hearts Barry fucking Windham or Magnum fucking TA could replace the Babe Ruth of our sport? I mean I know history has not been kind to Hogan but my God people

Not looking like Hogan doesn't mean they can't draw money. And WWE's survival isn't dependent on them drawing the same money as Hogan.

Maybe expansion is a bit slower. Maybe WWE's impact on pop culture isn't felt until the next decade. At best, they won't be as big but will still manage to be bigger than anyone else, including whoever has Hogan because no one else has Vince. He's the real difference maker.

·
Registered
409 Posts
the ripple effects of hogan not going to WWE back then would have been huge. no savage, no mr-t, no rock n wrestling, no piper feud, no andre, no WM3 moment, etc.
WWE's only other big faces had to be sgt. slaughter, Andre, snuka,or Bob Backlund.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Really outside of those who followed the AWA Hulk Hogan wasn't all that of a big deal and as for the look allot of musclebound guys of that era had the same if not better bodies as for the WWF's survival without Hogan monopolizing the world championship allot of guys would've had their day in the sun Tito Santana, Ricky Steamboat, john Studd, Roddy piper, Rick Rude, Randy Savage and curt henning plenty of top talent to carry the company.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts