Votes: 3 21.4%
  • "Entertainment"

Votes: 11 78.6%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question. There are lots of fans who want WWE/wrestling to feel more like a legitimate sport (e.g. more in ring action, titles meaning something). Then there are those who couldn't give a crap about that and want the male soap opera side of it to shine (e.g. character development, storytelling). Then there's probably a majority who want both.

Comparisons come from both so that fans can make their points known on certain topics but what do you want it to be more like and where can the most comparisons be drawn?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Entertainment

The attitude era was great because Austin had a rivalry with McMahon. Not because Benoit fought Angle.

at its best - you combine both. Austin had storytelling, but also had awesome matches with Rock, HHH, etc.

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
Hey are you buying the Sports Entertainment PPV scheduled to happen on 29th March ?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Don't people watch sports to be entertained?

·
From parts unknown
23,273 Posts
I think the most adequate comparison to the WWE right now are the turds I flushed down my toilet this morning... and that was surprisingly more entertaining.

·
Registered
15,835 Posts
Don't people watch sports to be entertained?
It's a little thing that a lot of people seem to miss. It's even more significant when TV has so many more options for viewing now and McMahon would rather tack closer to them than to stand out as a wrestling program. As a wrestling a program, he'd be mostly unique in a crowded TV market place, as of right now, his entertainment is garbage value and most of TV is going to be more entertaining.

At this point he better get back to basics because Monday's alone have TV shows I'd rather watch if Raw isn't going to be more like wrestling and less like his vision of "entertainment". Wrestling entertains me more than the other shows so I'll watch... if you aren't trying to be a wrestling program, I'll watch Top Gear or NCIS:LA long before I'd decide to watch Raw.

Reactions: samizayn

·
Ted the Moth
12,865 Posts
I don't think it's possible to compromise on either side. The "entertainment" comparisons fall down more often than not so I'd say the more viable comparison is to sports.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I watch UFC for legit sports combat, WWE should focus on the entertainment side.

·
Registered
15,835 Posts
I love sports and i would like wrestling to feel more like a legitimate sport.
Watching NJPW on AXS TV... I mark out everytime the announcers actually stay in universe and say "the sport of professional wrestling". Such a little thing but it makes everything feel so real. Why WWE doesn't get this is beyond me. Especially with the "writers"... it's writing 101 not to mention things outside the universe and make it look less real yet they fling the fucking sports-entertainment term around wildly. In universe, it's a fucking sport where these men and women are trying to win, not entertain us. We all know what they are really doing, but we want to buy into the story and matches damn it!

Reactions: Reptilian

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Watching NJPW on AXS TV... I mark out everytime the announcers actually stay in universe and say "the sport of professional wrestling". Such a little thing but it makes everything feel so real. Why WWE doesn't get this is beyond me. Especially with the "writers"... it's writing 101 not to mention things outside the universe and make it look less real yet they fling the fucking sports-entertainment term around wildly. In universe, it's a fucking sport where these men and women are trying to win, not entertain us. We all know what they are really doing, but we want to buy into the story and matches damn it!
Its like Vince is in love with that term "sports entertainment" and wants to push it down our throats no matter what, just like other of his inventions. I have only watched NJPW one time but if theres something i learned from it its that they make it feel like its a real sport, the interviews, even the logo..everything, and thats why i loved it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts