Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Depends, if there's real venom in the words and out of pure hatred then yes they'd get booed.. but only if it's racial remarks. From what i've seen, homophobia and sexism don't hold the same weight to the American public (the people, not the mainstream crowd or the media) as racism does. Hogan wasn't booed because 1- His legacy to wrestling fans 2- His words didn't come out of pure hate or bigotry like a KKK member or a modern Nazi, but out of fear and insecurity rather. Now had he used the same context as Jamie Dundee then it might be a different case

If someone called a gay person a homophobic slur during a heated confrontation it wouldn't be the same as calling a black person the n word in an angry argument, because of the negative history and demeaning inclination that's associated with that word for over a century. It would fly if you called a rude, middle-class woman a "cunt", even though the feminists would have a field-trip with it and chances are you're gonna get canceled, but not booed or shunned from society as Kramer had.

This is just an observation I made on the general American public regarding what the op asked, ladies and gents. Don't come at me all accusing like I'm sharing the sentiment in itself.

This happened to Lita 15 years ago. The fans turned on her, once Matt Hardy blogged about issues in his private life, including his discovery that Lita, his girlfriend at the time, was cheating on him with Edge, who happened to be one of his best friends. It ended up forcing Lita to be a heel for the first time in her WWE career.
It's a very different situation.. here you have the victim's face with the action, and that face is Matt Hardy a beloved wrestler, in a situation where people can relate to and sympathize with (cheating), not a broad category of people

I know this might seem fucked up but if we're talking knowing the person that has been antagonized creates a much bigger factor even if it's just one person, it's the "putting a face to the name" effect

·
Registered
543 Posts
I mean - yes? That's the point? Canceling something means being more discerning about how you spend your time and your money. What do you think it means?
Trying to fit in with other people by bringing others down from the safety of their keyboard.

If they met their "victim" walking down the street odds are they would ask for an autograph.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If a popular wrestler was accused of racism/sexism/abuse/homophobia during this time, would audience still cheer for them? Let's say if it was a beloved wrestler like Becky or Bryan.
Well i booed Jeff Hardy in 2013 at Destination X cuz of the drugs, while everyone else was cheering. Didnt help he was facing AJ Styles either.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts