Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a popular wrestler was accused of racism/sexism/abuse/homophobia during this time, would audience still cheer for them? Let's say if it was a beloved wrestler like Becky or Bryan.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Depends on how bad the thing they said. If a wrestler was caught saying the N word, I don’t think fans would care to be honest lol. Now if a wrestler said some real KKK shit , The wrestler would be booed off the stage I think. Same goes for sexism,homophobia and etc.

I for one don’t really judge somebody if they say some mile shit. For example I support gay marriage. If you think gay marriage is wrong, I disagree but fine. Now if you think gays should be set on fire and thrown of buildings, then I think you’re a nut job.

I would only really boo if they said some really crazy crap.

·
Registered
67 Posts
According to the WWE, they have a zero tolerance for any of those accusations, so odds are they won't be out in the ring if caught with any of that. If they were to keep someone like this I'd assume it would depend on the severity of the situation and who the wrestler is.

·
I'm the world's greatest superhero. I can do whate
20,569 Posts
Rape and murder maybe. Not racism or sexism. They would likely still get cheered as long as they didn't physically hurt anyone.

Most fans still love their favorite entertainers despite what they may do in their personal lives. It's always been that way. But I assume most have their limits on what they would turn a blind eye to.

·
Registered
313 Posts
This happened to Lita 15 years ago. The fans turned on her, once Matt Hardy blogged about issues in his private life, including his discovery that Lita, his girlfriend at the time, was cheating on him with Edge, who happened to be one of his best friends. It ended up forcing Lita to be a heel for the first time in her WWE career.

It nearly resulted in JBL being terminated, and it is still widely rumored that he was the main reason for the departure of popular commentator Mauro Ranallo. There was an unsuccessful campaign that was launched in 2017 over twitter, to get JBL fired. The fact that JBL still has a position in the company, is a wrong that needs to be righted. JBL should have been terminated years ago.

Shawn Michaels is still booed in Canada, mainly as a direct result of being involved with the Montreal Screwjob in 1997.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
it totally depends on the city. In certain cities, the smark justice warriors would boo someone like Jaxson Ryker or Orton for personal reasons. In other cities people would be supporting them.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Do not think so. When you pay for a ticket and are there live, you want to have fun and forget the real life personality versus the superstar in front of you. I marked out for Roman like crazy during his Super Cena push.

·
Registered
313 Posts
No.

I honestly think most wrestling fans will overlook anything when the offender is someone they like.

Basically, Daniel Bryan wouldn't get the same treatment as Enzo Amore if both were accused of the same things.
You could be right. Steve Austin was arrested for beating up Debra in 2002, during his exit from the company, only to get a massive ovation when he returned. Jimmy Snuka continued to receive cheers, even though by 2002-03, many wrestling fans knew that he had beat a Women to death.

Hulk Hogan not only is a racist, but he was recorded saying that the passenger in his son's vehicle that nearly died (and remains a vegetable), got what he deserved, and was a bad human being. He even talked about understanding what OJ Simpson did to his ex-wife, when his own wife filed for divorce after 25 years of marriage.

It's always interesting how forgiving wrestling fans are, compared to fans of Hollywood celebrities. Not a bad thing at all.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Do not think so. When you pay for a ticket and are there live, you want to have fun and forget the real life personality versus the superstar in front of you. I marked out for Roman like crazy during his Super Cena push.
Why would you do something silly like that? Roman Reigns push was one of the worst things ever in WWE history

·
Registered
37 Posts
Most modern wrestling marks pretend to be SJWs, but would still tune in/buy tickets to see somebody like Hogan. Even though he explicitly admitted to a being racist and explicitly said "I hate n*****s" on camera.

Most modern wrestling marks pretend to be for women's rights, but still support Steve Austin. A man who has a history of beating women and has even been accused of doing the "Pat Patterson" with underage girls.

That's called hypocrisy.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
I don't think so. I think the whole "cancel culture" and that online outrage is a bit- well, a lot- fake, people just looking to score social brownie points and "be on the right side of history". Not that the feelings are necessarily completely fake or the people professing to support these movements are completely false and horrible, but that they overblow things in order to appear in the right. Are we trying to say that no one knew about racial issues until George Floyd? Because they sure as hell were there, and these BLM protesters were real quiet a few months ago.

As far as wrestling goes... Hogan gets a pass. Austin gets a pass. There's a significant segment of the IWC that think Chris Benoit should be celebrated and go in the WWE HOF. Anyone getting vilified for anything in wrestling is probably someone who fans would be happy to give shit to anyway- like Enzo. Anyone in the middle of that spectrum- doing shit things but not overly liked or disliked, like a Travis Banks or Ligero, is likely to fade into obscurity anyway.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Hogan came out and the fans went nuts in NYC a few years ago at Mania even after he said all his racist stuff. Unfortunately fans just cheer on their storyline favorites and ignore the rest. Personally I’ll never cheer racist Hogan again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts