Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After William Regal got fired by WCW for alcohol and drug abuse, and for deliberately making Goldberg look bad, he came to WWF in the summer of 1998, right before the Brawl for All started.

My question is why didn't Regal participate in it?

He had a reputation as a shooter and a tough guy and this would've been a good way to give a solid midcard hand something to do creatively.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
His first match was the night the Brawl for All tournament began. And judging by Bruce Prichard's podcast, his appearance, as well as his health & personal problems were probably enough of a problem that he wasn't even considered.

Regal was in a VERY bad place at this point. In fact, so bad that during his first meeting with Vince a month prior to his debut, he passes out in the middle of the meeting. They didn't know it was due to drugs, as they thought he was sick (he battled pneumonia and a bad lung infection just a month prior). However, they knew he wasn't in a good place and likely weren't willing to do anything with him until he gets better.

·
Do they have Krusty's Partially Gelatinated, Non-D
2,460 Posts
Regal was legit, and I’d be very interested to see how he would compete in the tournament. Regal possibly could have been handcuffed by the rules, which made lots of the fights sloppy boxing matches. I could see regal doing very well if once they hit the floor, they were able to grapple.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,148 Posts
There's a video of him wrestling in in the indies in 1998 where the dude has his boots on the wrong feet and wrestles a 30 minutes match. It's terrible. He was barely functioning.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Regal was legit, and I’d be very interested to see how he would compete in the tournament. Regal possibly could have been handcuffed by the rules, which made lots of the fights sloppy boxing matches. I could see regal doing very well if once they hit the floor, they were able to grapple.
Between his status with the company and this it is pretty much what I was thinking. Turn it more into a MMA rules (or no rules) and I think Regal would have a pretty decent chance.

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
After William Regal got fired by WCW for alcohol and drug abuse, and for deliberately making Goldberg look bad, he came to WWF in the summer of 1998, right before the Brawl for All started.

My question is why didn't Regal participate in it?

He had a reputation as a shooter and a tough guy and this would've been a good way to give a solid midcard hand something to do creatively.
That part's debatable... no debating his substance abuse issues though. It's, unfortunately, cost Regal a lot in his career.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That part's debatable... no debating his substance abuse issues though. It's, unfortunately, cost Regal a lot in his career.
I don't think it's debatable. The bare facts are Goldberg believed, and still believes, Regal set out to make him look bad, Regal was abusing various substances, and WCW management took Goldberg's side and sacked him, with the Goldberg match being the tip of the iceberg.

I watched the match and it didn't look like a misguided attempt to make Goldberg look good which backfired. It simply looked like Regal had no interest in making Goldberg look good. He was on top the entire match, what offense Goldberg was given was barely sold, he plainly looked to be stiffing Goldberg at various points, and he was basically tying him in knots to the point the match became an uncoordinated mess; it basically looked like an act of impudence.

I'm not sure how anybody can take it otherwise unless they have a pro-Regal bias.

Regal has spoken about this in a passive-aggressive manner saying he was just told he had 6 minutes, and to make Goldberg look good, as if to imply it was a combination of WCW being a disorganised mess and Goldberg being green.

But guys like Raven, Perry Saturn, Bam Bam Bigelow and several others had matches with Goldberg exceeding 6 minutes which were all pretty good; Goldberg almost broke MENG's neck in a match and Meng didn't use that as an excuse to be unprofessional.

So in the extreme unlikelihood that this was somehow not Regal's fault then maybe he's not as good as people say he is? Or, you know, he was being an arrogant dick and trying to make Goldberg look like an imbecile.

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
I don't think it's debatable. The bare facts are Goldberg believed, and still believes, Regal set out to make him look bad, Regal was abusing various substances, and WCW management took Goldberg's side and sacked him, with the Goldberg match being the tip of the iceberg.

I watched the match and it didn't look like a misguided attempt to make Goldberg look good which backfired. It simply looked like Regal had no interest in making Goldberg look good. He was on top the entire match, what offense Goldberg was given was barely sold, he plainly looked to be stiffing Goldberg at various points, and he was basically tying him in knots to the point the match became an uncoordinated mess; it basically looked like an act of impudence.

I'm not sure how anybody can take it otherwise unless they have a pro-Regal bias.

Regal has spoken about this in a passive-aggressive manner saying he was just told he had 6 minutes, and to make Goldberg look good, as if to imply it was a combination of WCW being a disorganised mess and Goldberg being green.

But guys like Raven, Perry Saturn, Bam Bam Bigelow and several others had matches with Goldberg exceeding 6 minutes which were all pretty good; Goldberg almost broke MENG's neck in a match and Meng didn't use that as an excuse to be unprofessional.

So in the extreme unlikelihood that this was somehow not Regal's fault then maybe he's not as good as people say he is? Or, you know, he was being an arrogant dick and trying to make Goldberg look like an imbecile.

As I said, debatable at best.

It really depends whose side of the story you believe.

·
Registered
11,708 Posts
If WWE ran the Brawl for All today there'd only be one wrestler in it, Brock.
Lashley would probably do it. Also B4A rules was basically boxing and take downs for points but no subs or GNP so a guy like Baron Corbin might try his luck with those rules given he was a Golden Gloves regional champ back in the day (not sure how many other super heavyweight amateurs in Kansas/Missouri at the time though to be able to really read into his skill as a boxer). Matt Riddle would probably fight as well given he fought MMA at 170er and 185er and now walks around at 220ish and Brock is leaning out to make 265lb limit for a Cormier fight still it seems.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
If WWE ran the Brawl for All today there'd only be one wrestler in it, Brock.
Bobby Lashley---MMA
Shinsuke Nakamura---MMA
Baron Corbin---Golden Gloves boxing champion
Chad Gable---Amateur wrestler
Samoa Joe---Judo
Shelton Benjamin---Amateur wrestler
Dolph Ziggler---Amateur wrestler

In a competition based on punches & takedowns, I would think they could participate.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kevin Nash claimed that he bitch slapped Samoa Joe and Joe backed down backstage after Joe cut that shoot promo on him and Scott Hall.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Brawl for it all was fake in my opinion.

In Bart Gunn vs. JBL, you could see Bart Gunn throw a punch. JBL went down, but it didn't even connect.

FAKE!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts