Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After recenetly reading that William Regal has signed a five year extension onto his contract, it got me thinking just what does lie ahead for one of the most underrated graplers this business has ever seen.

Well firstly I'd prefer him to bow out graciously soon enough instead of just being cannon fodder for the up and comers on RAW. With WWE's developmental farm, FCW could certainly reap the benefits of having a trainer as skilled as William Regal in their camps, thats for sure. And in saying that I don't want Regal to just cease to exist on TV. So I've thought of a way for him to bow out of the business as an active wrestler with his head held high.

King of the Ring is coming up shortly as you all know. I would have Regal have a small backstage interview the week before just stating that he is in the tournament and that he vows to regain his King of the Ring crown.

I would then have Regal face Daniel Bryan in the first round or possibly the final, on RAW and have Bryan successfully beat Regal after a hard fought bought. I wouldn't have Regal tap out, instead having Bryan catch Regal off guard with a variation of a small package. They could play it up as since Regal trained Byran he was able to counter any submission that was thrown at him, including the LeBell Lock. Then I would have Bryan go on to win the KORT ring tournament. The week after, Regal can interupt Bryans coronation ceremony, but instead of acting like the whiney heel everyone would expect him to, have him shake Bryan's and raise his hand in a sign of respect.

As the weeks go on, the two can develope a partnership of sorts with Regal once again acting as his mentor. I wouldn't have them as a tag team as you would still want Bryan defending his US Title. Whilst Bryan is successfully defending his US Title I'd play it subtly that Regal is showing signs of jealously for his star pupil. Bring it up to the Royal Rumble where Regal can drop a few hints on a RAW beforehand that this might be his last year in the business and it has always been his dream to wrestle in the main event of Wrestlemania. The two can shake hands and give the "every man for himself" talk. In the Rumble I'd have Bryan eliminate Regal fair and square with Regal looking on disheartened out on the floor.

Next night on RAW, they can announce that Regal went to the GM and asked for a WWE Tag Team title shot to mark Daniel Byran's one year anniversary in the WWE. So the match is set. Its William Regal and Daniel Byran vs. The Nexus for the Tag Titles. Daniel Bryan is starting the match off but Regal is begging to be tagged in immediatley. Bryan offers his hand out to his mentor, Regal gets into the ring and before Bryan can even make it out onto the apron, Regal, wearing the brass knucks, clocks Bryan right in the jaw sending him to the outside. I'd have Regal decimate Byran on the outside, sending him shoulder first in the barricade and steel steeps. Regal can snap on his Regal stretch and tear at Bryan's shoulder for a few minutes until a hoard of referees break Regal's grip. Have Byran stretched away with the main concern being shown over his shoulder. Regal also walks off with Bryan's United States Championship.

Flash forward to next week's RAW and Regal can come out wearing Byran's US Title. He goes on to tell us that last week he seperated his protege's shoulder and that Bryan will have no option but to relinquish his title. He says that the GM has agreed that Bryan has until Elimination Chamber to show up, otherwise he will crown William Regal as the new United States Champion. Regal's motive? While watching Bryan the last few months, being in his corner, travelling with him from town to town, he has realised that he isn't ready to hang it up. That he's as good as he's ever been and that it is he who should be wearing championship gold. WWE can spin it into the teacher/student storyline very easily. The story practically writes itself.

We come to the Elimination Chamber PPV, Regal makes his way to the ring still wearing Daniel Bryan's US Title proudly. Regal takes the mic and before he can utter a word, Daniel Byran is in the ring tearing shreds out of Regal. Regal backs out of the ring and up the ramp as if he's seen a ghost. Byran picks up his US Title that Regal left behind as he scurried out of the ring. Byran can go on saying that if Regal wants to prove that he still has it, then Byran will give him his chance. Bryan will even put his US Title on the line. Regal accepts but Byran puts it to him that he has to put something on the line. Byran says that he has finally out shone his mentor and that at Wrestlemania, if Bryan beats him, Regal has to retire. Regal accepts and the match is on.

Daniel Byran vs. William Regal, United States Championship vs Regal's Career, Wrestlemania 27.

Just to ensure the match would be a classic, I would make it 2 out of 3 falls.

With this scenario, you get:

1) A way for Regal to have one last hurrah before bowing out graciously.
2) A real life teacher/student bond that WWE can easily play off, it doesn't have to feel forced.
3) Daniel Byran gets some proper direction for Wreslemania instead of getting lost in the shuffle.
4) You have a meaningful feud for the US Title, one that has yet to be properly done for a
Wrestlemania in years.
5) You have on your hands what should be an absolute classic. With making it 2 out of 3 falls
ensures that the WWE gives the match time also.

I get that this might not be to everyones taste, but personally, I would love to see a storyline like this between the two played out for Wrestlemania.

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
I haven't read through it all, but I could see a feud then Regal eventually becoming his mentor or something.

he probably did this because the crowd was booing Daniel Bryan

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Anything involving Danielson and Regal working together would be great. I'd like to see Regal have some sort of relevance and being put in a feud with one of the hottest up and comers in the company would be great. Obviously the matches would be off the charts but it may even help Dragon on the mic to cut promos week in and week out with a master like Regal.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd have to agree with you on the point of helping Bryan out to promo's. He cut his best promos in the WWE when he was in NXT because they were passionate and you believed in what he was saying. I'm sure he could find some of that passion again if embroiled in a heated feud with that man who he believes to be his mentor.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
I'd like to see it. Their match at the houseshow was good, and others have said their other matches have been good too. I'd approve of anything that gets Regal into an alright spot on RAW and into a feud. He's too good to be there and do nothing.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I'd like to see them feud for a bit for sure, especially considering RAW is lacking midcard heels to take Bryan on. Not sure if I'd have it last till Mania though, Bryan vs Punk would be a match that I'd like to see on that event more.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Very good plan! But it relies on having Regal retire at WM27, and he just signed 5 years onto his contract so I suppose it would depend what they wanted to do with him. Unless he wins?

They definitely should feud though.

·
Banned
542 Posts
Very good plan! But it relies on having Regal retire at WM27, and he just signed 5 years onto his contract so I suppose it would depend what they wanted to do with him. Unless he wins?

They definitely should feud though.
I think the story would be that he retires from in ring action. The five year deal was to probably help train people down at FCW just like Finlay now helps to train some of the divas. But a Bryan Vs Regal feud would be interesting.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the story would be that he retires from in ring action. The five year deal was to probably help train people down at FCW just like Finlay now helps to train some of the divas. But a Bryan Vs Regal feud would be interesting.
That is how I imagined it alright, with Regal retiring from active competition. I'm assuming WWE has signed him to a five year deal so they can use him in an agents or trainers role once he retires from the ring. A small part of it could also have been to keep TNA's dirty little mits off him.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I don't like the idea of Bryan winning KOTR because i want Ted to win it instead. :p

Bryan/Regal will most likely happen because there's no other contender for Bryan anyway. And i'd like to see it happen too, should be a great feud.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I haven't read through it all, but I could see a feud then Regal eventually becoming his mentor or something.

he probably did this because the crowd was booing Daniel Bryan
The crowd were only boo'ing Bryan because Regal is from England. Bryan actually got a huge pop. Regal said after the match 'after # years of wrestling, I never thought I'd meet a better wrestler than me. Then I met Daniel Bryan.'

PS. Their match at the houseshow was AWESOME.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Yes, pushing a 42 year old man for the United States title would be great. :no:
Obviously Regal wouldn't win the belt. Not every feud results in a title change and this would be one of those instances. A Danielson/Regal feud combines both a personal element and a title so it's win-win.

·
Plotting time travel mission.
8,641 Posts
The crowd were only boo'ing Bryan because Regal is from England. Bryan actually got a huge pop. Regal said after the match 'after # years of wrestling, I never thought I'd meet a better wrestler than me. Then I met Daniel Bryan.'

PS. Their match at the houseshow was AWESOME.
Mentor puting over student, Nothing beats that.

I would definetly like to see some sort of feud between Daniel Bryan and William regal.

·
I GOT ALOT LEFT IN THE TANK
4,541 Posts
Their match at the houseshow was AWESOME.
Daniel Bryan match and AWESOME are synonymous. WWE needs to put these guys in a program together. Punk going from a feud with Ziggler into a feud with William Regal then into a feud with CM Punk will just procedure back to back greatness.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
I'd love to see them feud, now that Punk Danielson will be on the back burner. KOTR could be the PERFECT opportunity to make this happen.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts