Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
They are forever trying every angle possible. Now we're seeing Cena Vs the 'Evil Corporate Representative Character' (one of the most hated and classic kind of heels used throughout the ages). Surely this should have been Punks feud given the history he has with John L. Anyway...

Are remaining fans being beaten into submission? Do people realize how obvious it is? Has any wrestling company ever tried to force a talent like this down the fans throats to such an extent?

Anyway, many questions (genuine questions, not trolling).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,320 Posts
Re: Will WWE ever stop 'Cena Vs opponent/ story line designed to get Cena over?'

It's either that, give Cena some time off, or have Cena back in the title hunt, add of the fact that Cena is WWE's top stars so whatever he does will get the big storyline.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Re: Will WWE ever stop 'Cena Vs opponent/ story line designed to get Cena over?'

You think WWE is seriously trying to get Cena over? Why would you even think that's something they would need to do? The guy is as over as a wrestler can possibly be and somehow I doubt WWE is blind to it.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts

No, no and yes.

Cena is at a crossroads. He is already over with the younger fans and casuals, and that will never change. And it's highly unlikely he'll ever get over with the majority of smarks and diehard fans. Again, that will never change.

Anyway I think "over" is the wrong word to use, popular would make more sense. He gets bad and good reactions, but it's still a reaction, therefore Cena = over as hell.

The only way to keep everyone happy (or at least calm down the hate) is to give his character more of an edge. They've been hinting at it for a while but unfortunately I think we're seeing the slow return of SuperCena, we'll see what happens down the line though.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

You think WWE is seriously trying to get Cena over? Why would you even think that's something they would need to do? The guy is as over as a wrestler can possibly be and somehow I doubt WWE is blind to it.
For every person he attracts to wrestling he pushes away 2-3. He'll forever be over/popular to a certain demographic. Overall this doesn't make him popular tho.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts

The purpose of this is to show that cena will never give up despite injurys in his quest to defeat evil.Typical super babyface nonsense that the kiddies eat up.

·
Registered
270 Posts

He sells a lot of merchandise to a certain demographic, yes. As a money maker, he does well for them (well, he also pushes many fans away, but still). As a wrestler, he is not over. Faces who are booed by the majority of live audiences are the complete opposite. Any wrestling fan with half a brain can tell you that.
And anyone with half a brain can tell you he's a very good wrestler too. And getting booed is still "over". If he wasn't over, he wouldn't get a crowd reaction at all.

Some people have a very bogus notion of what "over" is.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

No, no and yes.

Cena is at a crossroads. He is already over with the younger fans and casuals, and that will never change. And it's highly unlikely he'll ever get over with the majority of smarks and diehard fans. Again, that will never change.

Anyway I think "over" is the wrong word to use, popular would make more sense. He gets bad and good reactions, but it's still a reaction, therefore Cena = over as hell.

The only way to keep everyone happy (or at least calm down the hate) is to give his character more of an edge. They've been hinting at it for a while but unfortunately I think we're seeing the slow return of SuperCena, we'll see what happens down the line though.
Agree, popular is the better term. Shall change it.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I will agree that this is supposed to be punks fued. But every fued is designed to get wrestlers over. The Brock fued helped but the idea is to keep punk and vena separate while keeping both of them in interesting fueds. They are doing this successfully. Vena sells the most so he is going to be put against the most hated heels and at the moment it's funk man

·
Registered
270 Posts
Nah, I would still say Cena is popular as hell too, what with all the Wrestlemania's he's main evented. Still the wrong word to use.

Perhaps "respected" or "adored" are the words you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

And anyone with half a brain can tell you he's a very good wrestler too. And getting booed is still "over". If he wasn't over, he wouldn't get a crowd reaction at all.

I've changed it to popular, better term. Even though I don't think he's 'over' personally either. He was over, now the fans are just saturated with him. You could put a piece of poo in the ring for 10 minutes with the USA anthem playing in the background, and the crowd would go ape shit. Doesn't mean it's over, just means they hate it so much that they need to vocalize it.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nah, I would still say Cena is popular as hell too, what with all the Wrestlemania's he's main evented. Still the wrong word to use.

Perhaps "respected" or "adored" are the words you're looking for.
No, certainly not. Popular is right. I think a lot of people respect his work ethic (personally I think work ethic means only so much, especially when a character is not working and you have the power to change it), but 2/3 people despise the guy. That's not popular.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts

For every person he attracts to wrestling he pushes away 2-3. He'll forever be over/popular to a certain demographic. Overall this doesn't make him popular tho.
Being popular isn't limited to just cheers for faces and booes for heels. Cena is easily the most popular wrestler right now as his name is the one that is most associated with WWE and the one that garners the most reaction out of just about any fan.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts

But he is not "over" as a babyface. You want an over face? Randy Orton and CM Punk got that. Cena is not as over as them because he gets booed. That's like saying Rocky Maivia was over as a face when they had "Die! Rocky! Die!" signs because hey, he gets a reaction!

I just wish WWE stopped it already. Fine, don't turn him heel, just get him the fuck out. He's not a big draw anymore, he only sells a bunch of merchandise. (which is dropping yearly anyways) PPV sales always blow (unless it's something special like The Rock main eventing) and the ratings are consistently on the bottom 3, upper 2 area.

Their attempts at getting Cena cheered is just horribly annoying. Back in 2006, there was this crap Lawler pulled out about "Triple H not caring if you cheer him" and "To the people chanting 'Cena Sucks', WHY? WHY?" and the recent "I wonder if the people chanting 'Cena sucks' can lift as much weight as Cena does". Not to mention the cover-up "controversial" bullshit. People just plain don't like him, there's nothing "controversial" about that. They've tried for years to put him over as a face but failed, failed and continue to fail. He was cheered in Extreme Rules but I'm hoping the Chicago fans realize that it's the same goof they have booed for years the next time he goes there.

Let's take a look at all the attempts:
1. Placing Cena in feuds against heels like Eric Bischoff and Daivari as well as having Kurt Angle making racist remarks and dissing the US Army. (RESULT: FAIL!)
2. Making cheered heels have that "I don't care about these people" mentality while Cena whines about never backing down or crying that a lot of people think he sucks. Not to forget, Lawler's verbal sucking up. (RESULT: FAIL!)
3. Sucking up to the crowd all the damn time, SPECIALLY in Chicago. This guy sucks up so good, he's probably the biggest nightmare for the best dick-sucking hooker in the Red-light District. (RESULT: FAIL!)
4. Make a bunch of video packages where they show him sucking off the military troops, posing for pics with Make-a-Wish kids and just acting like a "good guy". (RESULT: FAIL!)
5. Having The Rock tone down his verbal burial of this goof to give him the edge in hopes of a pro-Cena crowd at WM28 so that they can have him win. (RESULT: FAIL!)
6. Making him try to use other wrestler's popularity to get over, Zack Ryder specially. (RESULT: FAIL!)
7. Constantly reminding us about how much he "works his ass off" while The Rock and Brock Lesnar don't give a fuck about "this". (RESULT: FAIL!)
8. Having him get beat so bad by Brock Lesnar that some fools started to feel sorry for him and cheered him. (RESULT: Hopefully, temporary success at best)
9. Lastly, placing him in a feud with the most over heel, Johnny Ace while he carries that "never give up" attitude with a "broken arm" (hahahahaha) and is booked as the "underdog". (RESULT: We shall see)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Being popular isn't limited to just cheers for faces and booes for heels. Cena is easily the most popular wrestler right now as his name is the one that is most associated with WWE and the one that garners the most reaction out of just about any fan.
I've said it once I'll say it again.

If they saturated the audience with any wrestler the way they do with Cena, they'd get just as big a reaction (most probably being booed like he is).

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,745 Posts
I will agree that this is supposed to be punks fued. But every fued is designed to get wrestlers over. The Brock fued helped but the idea is to keep punk and vena separate while keeping both of them in interesting fueds. They are doing this successfully. Vena sells the most so he is going to be put against the most hated heels and at the moment it's funk man
I agree with the bolded statement. But its goes double for Cena. To me it seems every Cena feud is to ONLY get Cena cheered and w/e happens to the other guy b/c of the feud so be it.

So my answer to the OP would be until the WWE gets Cena universally cheered or decides on a different course of action, yes every Cena feud will be designed to get him cheered by adult male fans.

Just like they stuck Cena with Ryder when Ryder was at the peak of his popularilty. They are now sticking Cena in a feud with Johnny Ace b/c he has become the most hated man in the WWE by the audience.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree with the bolded statement. But its goes double for Cena. To me it seems every Cena feud is to ONLY get Cena cheered and w/e happens to the other guy b/c of the feud so be it.

So my answer to the OP would be until the WWE gets Cena universally cheered or decides on a different course of action, yes every Cena feud will be designed to get him cheered by adult male fans.

Just like they stuck Cena with Ryder when Ryder was at the peak of his popularilty. They are now sticking Cena in a feud with Johnny Ace b/c he has become the most hated man in the WWE by the audience.
I fear this is the case and will be for a very long time. I thought they were learning/listening/changing, but clearly not.

How is it acceptable? Honestly. I feel for the rest of the roster and the product in general. I do.

·
Banned
2,080 Posts

But he is not "over" as a babyface. You want an over face? Randy Orton and CM Punk got that. Cena is not as over as them because he gets booed. That's like saying Rocky Maivia was over as a face when they had "Die! Rocky! Die!" signs because hey, he gets a reaction!

I just wish WWE stopped it already. Fine, don't turn him heel, just get him the fuck out. He's not a big draw anymore, he only sells a bunch of merchandise. (which is dropping yearly anyways) PPV sales always blow (unless it's something special like The Rock main eventing) and the ratings are consistently on the bottom 3, upper 2 area.

Their attempts at getting Cena cheered is just horribly annoying. Back in 2006, there was this crap Lawler pulled out about "Triple H not caring if you cheer him" and "To the people chanting 'Cena Sucks', WHY? WHY?" and the recent "I wonder if the people chanting 'Cena sucks' can lift as much weight as Cena does". Not to mention the cover-up "controversial" bullshit. People just plain don't like him, there's nothing "controversial" about that. They've tried for years to put him over as a face but failed, failed and continue to fail. He was cheered in Extreme Rules but I'm hoping the Chicago fans realize that it's the same goof they have booed for years the next time he goes there.

Let's take a look at all the attempts:
1. Placing Cena in feuds against heels like Eric Bischoff and Daivari as well as having Kurt Angle making racist remarks and dissing the US Army. (RESULT: FAIL!)
2. Making cheered heels have that "I don't care about these people" mentality while Cena whines about never backing down or crying that a lot of people think he sucks. Not to forget, Lawler's verbal sucking up. (RESULT: FAIL!)
3. Sucking up to the crowd all the damn time, SPECIALLY in Chicago. This guy sucks up so good, he's probably the biggest nightmare for the best dick-sucking hooker in the Red-light District. (RESULT: FAIL!)
4. Make a bunch of video packages where they show him sucking off the military troops, posing for pics with Make-a-Wish kids and just acting like a "good guy". (RESULT: FAIL!)
5. Having The Rock tone down his verbal burial of this goof to give him the edge in hopes of a pro-Cena crowd at WM28 so that they can have him win. (RESULT: FAIL!)
6. Making him try to use other wrestler's popularity to get over, Zack Ryder specially. (RESULT: FAIL!)
7. Constantly reminding us about how much he "works his ass off" while The Rock and Brock Lesnar don't give a fuck about "this". (RESULT: FAIL!)
8. Having him get beat so bad by Brock Lesnar that some fools started to feel sorry for him and cheered him. (RESULT: Hopefully, temporary success at best)
9. Lastly, placing him in a feud with the most over heel, Johnny Ace while he carries that "never give up" attitude with a "broken arm" (hahahahaha) and is booked as the "underdog". (RESULT: We shall see)
Nailed it. (Y)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Cena is extremely popular with a lot of fans. So what if he is not popular with some of the fans, then it is up the rest of the roster to make sure that that fan group still wants to watch the Show, Cena is only on the show for like 20 min anyway usually the highest rated segment. So it is not Cena scaring people away it is the rest of the roster.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts