Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys like Swagger,Angle are both real good wrestlers(actual wrestlers, not "sports entertainment" wrestling).

Angle is also a real good wrestler in WWE,TNA and Swagger is fairly good too.

Undertaker I don't think did wrestling in high school or anything, but I remember him saying in an interview that if MMA was this big 20+ years ago, he would have gone into that instead of wrestling.

So it makes me wonder if the high school/college wrestlers that we see now, might start going more and more to MMA over wrestling, which might lead to less wrestlers in the future being guys who had wrestling experience in high school and stuff.

Or could it also lead to WWE 15-20 years from now being known as a company that takes guys who couldn't make it in the UFC or something like that.

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
Probably lose them, if you look at each division in the UFC, it's pretty much dominated by a guy with a wrestling base.

Cain Velasquez - Wrestler
Jon Jones - Wrestler
Anderson Silva - Striker
Georges St. Pierre - Turned into a Wrestler
Frankie Edgar - Wrestler
Jose Aldo - Striker
Dominick Cruz - Wrestler

Then you have Mendes, Evans, Fitch, Sonnen who admitted to trying out for WCW and pretty much the top five at 135 are Wrestlers, so based on the success those guys have in MMA, I fully expect to see them choose MMA over Pro Wrestling, it's a lot easier on the mind and body, and you can make a lot more money doing it and get more exposure, you have to believe a guy like Jack Swagger or Kurt Angle would have been an absolute beast in MMA. Brock was an NCAA Champ and has obviously fared well in MMA, Angle won the Gold Medal, Swagger was an All American but so are a bunch of other guys in MMA.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Taker's full of himself. He'd never have made it in MMA.

It's possible that the WWE could lose out on top "legit" talent to UFC in the coming years, but I doubt it will be all that noticeable. Not everyone who wrestles in college would even be interested in bumping up the violence to MMA levels.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Im sure there will always be talent there for WWE but its how they use the talent that really matters. I would also point out that just because someone wrestles in college or whatever does not mean that they would automatically do well in MMA, nor does it mean they would do well in WWE.

·
Banned
3,560 Posts
OP you're confused. Guys like the Rock and Undertaker are big MMA fans and they've stated that if it was as big as it is now when they were younger, they'd have been fighting there but i don't think that's necessarily true b/c they fit into the WWE so well. and WWE will still have stars, they wont lose out to UFC b/c they're looking for different type of guys. Top wrestling talents like Daniel Bryan and Dolph Ziggler just aren't fighters, they're sport entertainers and that's what they want to do, wrestling isn't real and they couldn't transfer their in-ring ability to realistic MMA fighting. You'll always have the fighters in UFC and the actors/sport entertainers/non-fighters in the WWE, that's simple. you might lose the odd Kurt Angle every so often but you wont know about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts