Wrestling Forum banner

Will they ever create a storyline for the U.S. Title

1819 Views 26 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  DesolationRow
Or at least acknowledge it exists? With JoMo, Bryan, Evan Bourne, Ted Dibiase, Regal, tyson kidd you could have some great matches instead of using these guys to be bit part players in the wwe title scene be it jobbing or being nearly men in fatal 4 ways or elimination chambers.

What would be wrong with the likes of Sheamus going for it? Just use the excuse that he has never held it or even have him in a match with Bryan where bryan wins so Sheamus vows to take his title to prove he is superior.Let them feud for a couple of months and get people interested. It's such an easy tool to not only get people over but see if they can handle a feud for a belt instead of just throwing them into a world title feud! Anything at all but please WWE

DO SOMETHING WITH THE U.S. TITLE!!!!!!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
839 Posts
I actually can't remember the last time Bryan defended the US Title. Surely the 30-day defence clause has been exceeded by this point?

· I must away and tend to my ravens
12,061 Posts
I actually can't remember the last time Bryan defended the US Title. Surely the 30-day defence clause has been exceeded by this point?
His most recent defense was probably against Dibiase which I think was more than 30 days ago. That doesn't matter too much though because it's presumably being defended on house shows, just as it was when Miz held it alongside the tag-team belts.

Going back to the original question, I don't think it matters too much. It wouldof course be nice to have some storylines for the belt but it's better to leave it Bryan than hotshot it to someone else for no reason. They did the same with Kofi in 2009, he had absolutely nothing going on and just defended it in multi-man matches for months. Doing so got him sufficiently over to feud with Orton and, while that didn't work out as creative would've wanted, it does show that building someone quietly can reap rewards, even in the 'Sports Entertainment' world of WWE.

· Registered
10 Posts
I can't think of a time in recent years where both the US and IC titles were both well established at the same time. What is obvious is that which ever title is on RAW is the title that is treated like dirt. Think about it, when the title was on Smackdown there was always a fued over it, meanwhile the IC title was rarley given a match on RAW, let alone on PPV. Then, when the titles switched brands the IC title went to smackdown where they spent the better part of 2009 re-establishing the title between the mid-carders (i.e. JoMo, Ziggler, MacIntyre, Kofi). Granted we should have seen an IC match at wrestlemania 26 instead of a 10 man MITB, but the fact is the title that is on Smackdown is the more established championship.

· Registered
948 Posts
daniel bryan vs miz vs the US title was pretty epic for a pure mid-card feud

so was Drew McIntyre vs Kofi during Drew's reign imo.

I would like to see more matches though that include the champion. but on the other hand that means more people are jobbing

· Registered
5,130 Posts
If they are serious about pushing Bryan to the main event, maybe they will. Miz didn't actually defend it until his storyline with Bryan, once he lost it he became a WWE champion shortly after, maybe it will become a pattern now, lol. Until then, we can just expect Bryan to defend it in a title match without proper build-up or not defending it at all.

Same goes for IC title, it got a major focus before Ziggler getting pushed higher to the main event, it was even defended in Smackdown main event once, but these days it has become a prop again, Kofi hasn't defended it since he won it from Ziggler.

· Santina's Lover
4,254 Posts
I'm feeling lazy so I'll repost my thoughts from another similar thread.

The best way of getting the US title exposure is getting one of our British heels feuding for it. It gives them an anti US angle so extra heat and there could be some entertaining matches. Imagine DB vs Regal/Drew.

I know foreigners have done the US title angle to death but it's proven to work. Hell put it on Gabriel, the brand extension doesn't mean shit on the RTWM.

· Banned
6,748 Posts
At first I thought they were going to let The Miz run away with the division, and make it relevant again. However, I was wrong, and they decided to give this man the WWE world title. Horrible move on the WWE's part. The Miz would have been perfect to be the head of the US title division. Then after having the longest title reign in the history of the company, he is drafted to Smackdown, and his world title push begins.

· Registered
1,071 Posts
Michael Hayes and Brian Gerwitz are the main writer's..The scripts have to go through vince before they can be used. bottom line. vince is getting old and demented. he doesn't have it like he did during the attitude era. plus the US title is hideous looking...lol

· Registered
5,028 Posts
Sheamus going after the US Title would definitely add some prestige and attention to it. He should fight for it at Wrestlemania, considering he doesn't fight Triple H.

· Registered
1,442 Posts
I can't think of a time in recent years where both the US and IC titles were both well established at the same time. What is obvious is that which ever title is on RAW is the title that is treated like dirt. Think about it, when the title was on Smackdown there was always a fued over it, meanwhile the IC title was rarley given a match on RAW, let alone on PPV. Then, when the titles switched brands the IC title went to smackdown where they spent the better part of 2009 re-establishing the title between the mid-carders (i.e. JoMo, Ziggler, MacIntyre, Kofi). Granted we should have seen an IC match at wrestlemania 26 instead of a 10 man MITB, but the fact is the title that is on Smackdown is the more established championship.
So true!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
1,954 Posts
Honestly, i have lost all "interest" in the US, Tag and IC championships. They just don't seem to matter anymore. Winning those titles can be compared to making a forgettable touchdown. Even the WHC doesn't hold the credibility it once had. Up to 2 years ago the WHC felt like it had the "prestige" the WWE title had, but now, it seems as though the only title that really matters is the WWE championship. Don't get me started on the friggen "diva's title"... Worst part of it all is, they have the talent on the roster to make me care for the titles, but creative either just don't care enough or are complete idiots. What happenend to the days where winning the IC, Tag or US titles were Huge? heck, even post 2000 they meant something.

Creative can handle one storyline per show, that's it. They want us to care about the Main Event, but don't realise that if people cared more about the midcard, that people would care more about the Main Event scene. The youth movement is good and all, but they are making one crucial mistake. Their negligence to make people care about the midcard plays a big role in why taking midcarders into the Main Event scene flops. They never bothered to make me care about the guy while he was a midcarder and now all of a sudden i'm supposed to automatically care about him because they put him into the Main event scene? Gone are the days where the midcard had great storylines and gone is the reason for me to care about the superstars in the midcard

· Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
12,610 Posts
Isn't there a US Title storyline going on right now?

I swore Miz was defending it against Lawler at Elimination Chamber.

...oh, that's the WWE Title? Well damn. The two belts are practically sitting on the same level, so I got them mixed up. My bad.

· Registered
1,931 Posts
Honestly, i have lost all "interest" in the US, Tag and IC championships. They just don't seem to matter anymore. Winning those titles can be compared to making a forgettable touchdown. Even the WHC doesn't hold the credibility it once had. Up to 2 years ago the WHC felt like it had the "prestige" the WWE title had, but now, it seems as though the only title that really matters is the WWE championship. Don't get me started on the friggen "diva's title"... Worst part of it all is, they have the talent on the roster to make me care for the titles, but creative either just don't care enough or are complete idiots. What happenend to the days where winning the IC, Tag or US titles were Huge? heck, even post 2000 they meant something.

Creative can handle one storyline per show, that's it. They want us to care about the Main Event, but don't realise that if people cared more about the midcard, that people would care more about the Main Event scene. The youth movement is good and all, but they are making one crucial mistake. Their negligence to make people care about the midcard plays a big role in why taking midcarders into the Main Event scene flops. They never bothered to make me care about the guy while he was a midcarder and now all of a sudden i'm supposed to automatically care about him because they put him into the Main event scene? Gone are the days where the midcard had great storylines and gone is the reason for me to care about the superstars in the midcard
+1,000,000 I agree with this. Great post!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.