Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I can understand the reasoning behind finishing things up with Mania and all the storylines linked to it right now, but what about when that's over with? They usually hit the reset button after Mania each year anyways, maybe a decent pause would be a good idea for a little while until life goes back to normal.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Uh.. I think what this weeks Raw and SD have told us is that they're fine doing it in the PC for months if need be.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
WWE has enough content to air on tv for months. Be it matches (from Sammartino to Reigns), old episodes of Raw/Smackdown/SNME/WCW/AWA/NXT, best of episodes of Raw/Smackdown/SNME/WCW/AWA/NXT, best of episodes of a particular superstar or locations like MSG or Skydome, tribute episodes, notable matches of HOFers past or present, documentaries, podcasts, matches never seen before. The list goes on.

The point is that WWE can air any content they want to fill air time for their programming. The question is will they do that, or will they just have their stars keep wrestling during a pandemic past WM36?

·
Registered
130 Posts
The question is how long can WWE run in pandemic world before having to cut at least 25% of the workforce. This quarter's financial result will be a bloodbath - anymore and I can see over 100 staff going from admin, touring etc. Much of the main roster undercard and NXT lower card probably won't last long.

Another question is where will ratings be when they return if they have to rely on archive material.

·
IRAN #1
2,304 Posts
There's absolutely no way they don't put out a show on Monday's and Friday's.. There's never going to be an off-season, they will never take a break unless they're forced to.. A worldwide pandemic is not enough for them.

·
Premium Member
8,849 Posts
They'll likely do a lot of marathon tapings at the PC until that no longer becomes a viable option. Then I imagine they'll dig into their archives and start airing older content, classic Raws, old PPVs, etc.

USA, FOX, etc will be more understanding during this. There are so many TV & films that have been postponed, canceled outright or are in limbo right now. I can't see those networks dropping WWE as a result of the pandemic.

·
Registered
11,347 Posts
The question is how long can WWE run in pandemic world before having to cut at least 25% of the workforce. This quarter's financial result will be a bloodbath - anymore and I can see over 100 staff going from admin, touring etc. Much of the main roster undercard and NXT lower card probably won't last long.

Another question is where will ratings be when they return if they have to rely on archive material.
This quarter won't. Rumble, chamber and Saudi show took place in first quarter and it looks like they will be able to fulfill all the NBC and Fox taping dates through end of March.

First cancellation was March 13th so by my estimate probably had to cancel 10 shows in March. That would be worst case scenario $10 million but probably closer to $5-6m in lost revenue. Add in lost merch sold at live events so maybe $1.5 million lost since mid March (last year they had about $5 million merch sales at live events between January and March). Of course not running big arenas for Raw and SD would cut down on production costs dramatically.

Next quarter April 1st to June 30th is the issue if things don't blow over. They have time though as 2nd quarter numbers are not released until end of July /early August each year

·
Registered
11,347 Posts
They'll likely do a lot of marathon tapings at the PC until that no longer becomes a viable option. Then I imagine they'll dig into their archives and start airing older content, classic Raws, old PPVs, etc.

USA, FOX, etc will be more understanding during this. There are so many TV & films that have been postponed, canceled outright or are in limbo right now. I can't see those networks dropping WWE as a result of the pandemic.
Yeah they should be taping 9-6pm from tomorrow all through next week to have enough new content to take them till end of April at least and end of June in reality because nobody knows how long this thing is going to last.

At least with that they are guaranteed their tv money anyway next quarter and that's enough to keep the lights on.

Undercard wrestlers and low ranking staff most likely will be let go if this extends beyond April 30th. I would imagine we also see big cut in dividend, it's 12 cent a share now every quarter, it could be cut by half or more

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
In all honesty if it gets to a point where they can't tape Raw, Smackdown or NXT, I would be open to them just airing Raw 97 in its entirety. Between the 7 hours of weekly programming they have between those three tv spots, they can get through it rather quickly.

They have an extensive library of WWE, WCW and ECW content to use. Will it do great ratings? Probably not, but I don't think that matters right now. If shows on hiatus can air reruns, why can't WWE. All other live sports are doing it.

·
Currently booking tonight’s card...
1,836 Posts
assuming We ‘go back to normal’ is one way some are looking at things...

I’m not really sure what to think, but I am glad we still have wwe content. I mean perspective is everything right now...

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Nah, I imagine they will tape a months worth of programming within a week at the start of each month until the lockdown stuff comes to an end.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I say they do a bunch of Taping to fill the next month or 2 ... have camera's set up in the wrestlers home or (Skype) ... or even michael cole can broadcast from home ,,, news reporters in canada are already doing this .. they can show old matches just like they been doing on SD and Raw these last 2 weeks Wyatt/Cena from WM30 and the tag team elimination chamber match .... they can keep doing that and having wrestlers and announcers cutting promos from home they have the technology to keep everyone safe and still make the show !

·
Registered
42 Posts
They should, its not worth risking their wrestlers lives for scripted entertainment. The Tokyo Olympics is shut till next year, you think WWE is bigger than that? Rey Mystertio and Dana Brooks are already in isolation. WWE should suspend everything this year and should return with Royal Rumble 2021. They should just do reruns of old shows on tv.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts