Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now more than ever, it looks like the WWE is aiming to have international talent infiltrate its main event. Wade Barrett and Sheamus, and then other promising talents like Drew McIntyre. Lets not forget Rey Mysterio. But, are WWE missing out on a Japanese wrestler that could infiltrate into their main event?

With the Japan tour coming up, WWE are obviously looking to pave their way into the Japanese market. One potential way that they should do that is to bring a Japanese star into their main event.

Japanese wrestlers have always been underused in the WWE. Recent examples include Taka Michinoku, Jimmy Wang Yang, Funaki and now, Yoshi Tatsu. They have always been comedic characters. Never have been used seriously. The only Japanese wrestler in recent memory that has had a decent run in WWE was Tajiri, but when he was around it was pretty much impossible for a cruiserweight to infiltrate the main event.

So, should there be a Japanese star in the main event? Will there be? If so, who could it be?

There is plenty of potential out there. Small men and big men. Japan hosts arguably some of the best wrestlers in the world. My personal favourite would be Go Shiozaki.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
You can never tell who ends up getting big in the WWE. If Khali could make it, anybody can. The chances today are better than ever before, since WWE are into creating new stars. But from what I gather, Japan isn't really their current hunting ground, the reason being that wrestling is already established there. I could see them bringing somebody from China into the spotlight though.

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
I don't see a Jap star being in the main event for one reason. To main event the WWE you need to cut promos on Raw/Smackdown and to get hyped.

There would be the language barrier, I mean Tajiri had Torrie at one point at his side to help him but it didn't take him anywhere higher then the US title. And I don't see anyone, no matter how great of a wrestler they are from Jap being at the main event of a PPV.

Sorry, I just don't see it happening. And yes I know Khali is quite the opposite of what I said but he was huge and had that gimmick that he could whipe out anyone... then again anything can happen so...

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
After living in Japan, I don't see why living here is so good lol But my impression when I watch Japanese Pro Wrestling shows is that there's way more appreciation for your work than anything else. If you put the effort to wrestle they will applaud it.

I don't see any reason to go to the WWE, I think Japanese promotions pay just fine.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,792 Posts
I've been predicting this for a while now, honestly. There will indeed big at least one big Asian star in the future, probably Japanese, and I'm looking forward to it.

A guy like Kentaro Shiga could be that guy, but he's getting just a little old now... But somebody of that general type would probably work out in the WWE main event scene one day.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,792 Posts
Didn't Morishima had a dark match a while ago? He could've been a great monster heel in my opinion.
Almost exactly two years ago. Guess they didn't love what they saw... Though I agree, he definitely could play a vicious monster heel as well as just about any monster WWE has today.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
Generally I presume that Japanese wrestlers so no honor in the American style of wrestling, hence why so many prefer to stay in Japan. For the guys who could make it big in USA, they'll already be making decent money at home in Japan so for them to up-rpute and go to the USA wold be career-suicide, considering WWE's track record with Japanese stars.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
did they fire Yoshi Tatsu?
Nope, he's just not being used often. All he's being used for is comedic skits really. When he won the battle royal at WM26, I thought WWE were gonna go somewhere with him. But hey, guess they dont always stick to their intended direction...

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Nope, he's just not being used often. All he's being used for is comedic skits really. When he won the battle royal at WM26, I thought WWE were gonna go somewhere with him. But hey, guess they dont always stick to their intended direction...
What about Gail Kim did they fire her? she may be Canadian but I'm pretty sure they are trying to hit that Oriental market with her

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What about Gail Kim did they fire her? she may be Canadian but I'm pretty sure they are trying to hit that Oriental market with her
She's Korean anyway.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
At the start I must concede that I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to Japanese wrestling but I'll have a go at answering the question. I get the feeling that anyone who reached the point where they could be brought in as a star will no longer feel they need to do the things Vince would want from them so they'll stay well away from WWE. That means that the only ones who'll come to WWE are somewhat second-rate, they won't make it at home so really there's no particular reason to believe they can be stars in the states either. That restricts them to bing the token Japanese guy in the promotion, mostly doing comedy stuff or jobbing, maybe winning a few matches on SUperstars and possibly getting a run with the tag-team titles. That's probably great for their bank balance but it won't lead to superstardom.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
She's Korean anyway.
You know how it is, they all look the same :p.

Anyway I think the thing which is always the problem with Japanese wrestlers is that language barrier, the only thing which the WWE can think of doing is someone teaches him dirty words, they did it with Taka and they've done it with plenty of others, I don't think its going to change anytime soon, which is sad since Japan is a big professional wrestling market, I doubt there will ever be another Antonio Inoki on the US wrestling scene as long as WWE is around.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts