Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was doing a bit of research into the IC title when I made a shocking discovery. The Intercontinental Championship hasn't been defended "properly" at a Wrestlemania since 2002 (X-8, where Rob Van Dam beat the defending champion, William Regal). Meaning, the last time it was given a decent match at Wrestlemania was during Hogan's nWo comeback. Nine years ago.

Since that Mania, the IC title's only other match was Rey vs JBL which lasted just 21 seconds, at Mania XXV. Does this shock any of you? Maybe if there's no MITB this year there will be an IC title match but it honestly wouldn't shock me if WWE made it a grand ten years of ignoring one of their main titles at their biggest event.

What do you think?

· Registered
5,174 Posts
1. Kofi was last feuding with Swagger who's now involved in the Cole match.
2. Ziggler was fired and we've seen too much of him vs Kofi.
3. Rhodes is feuding with Mysterio.
4. Kofi is a natural addition to the MITB match with his high-flying abilities.

Therefore Kofi to MITB is more likely than... Kofi vs McIntyre? That seems to be the only possibility but they aren't even interacting with each other...

· Registered
1,238 Posts
The only interesting match for the IC title would be Kofi vs Bryan, title vs title. However the rumors are that it's going to be Bryan vs Sheamus, even though they have done nothing at all except have a brief staredown backstage.

· Registered
5,130 Posts
I don't think he will defend his IC belt at WM, there is no challenger left. He'll get added to the MITB ladder match, it's his match, he probably won't win but he'll shine there with his daredevil actions.

If there is no MITB, he'll probably randomly assist Big Show in his feud against The Corre, and Barrett will challenge Kofi to put his IC title on the line at WM while Big Show will fight Big Zeke and Gabriel/Slater defending the tag belts against Curtis and Truth. This doesn't sound appealing at all, but that's what i think is gonna happen if there is literaly no MITB match at WM.

Or, maybe like the poster above me said, IC champion vs. US champion idea is also good, and i'd prefer that scenario but they're both babyfaces so i kinda doubt they will fight at WM.

· Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Creative has really buggered things up this year I think. I don't think there's an excuse for not showing a great battle over this championship every Mania. Maybe I'm still sore about the whole Kid Rock segment and the Rey/JBL match being such a disappointment. Worst mania moments in recent history for me.

· Registered
6,114 Posts
No. Not unless WWE decide that they want another match to have the belt. But I doubt it. They had the opportunity with Edge vs Del Rio. They discussed but rightly declined (I think it would have been too much too soon for Del Rio tbh). Rhodes vs Mysterio had the opportunity but WWE seem to be going the mask vs mask route which seems more appropriate and will work better. WWE really have no choice this year but to have the IC champion in the MITB ladder match. However, a lot of years have passed by where the title could have been defended but WWE decided against it.

· Follower of Lockeism
13,499 Posts
No, there won't be. It's strange, I actually had to think a minute before figuring out who the IC champion was...

· Banned
426 Posts
I don't think he will defend his IC belt at WM, there is no challenger left. He'll get added to the MITB ladder match, it's his match, he probably won't win but he'll shine there with his daredevil actions.

If there is no MITB, he'll probably randomly assist Big Show in his feud against The Corre, and Barrett will challenge Kofi to put his IC title on the line at WM while Big Show will fight Big Zeke and Gabriel/Slater defending the tag belts against Curtis and Truth. This doesn't sound appealing at all, but that's what i think is gonna happen if there is literaly no MITB match at WM.

Or, maybe like the poster above me said, IC champion vs. US champion idea is also good, and i'd prefer that scenario but they're both babyfaces so i kinda doubt they will fight at WM.
LOL at you thinking the Corre will get 3 matches at Mania. That would be like 1/3rd the card.

· Registered
5,130 Posts
LOL at you thinking the Corre will get 3 matches at Mania. That would be like 1/3rd the card.
Haha, i seriously didn't realize that until you told me, i take back my words then since it's not gonna happen. But still, those guys will have to get added to the card somehow, probably multi-man tag match or something.

· Registered
7,589 Posts
Well with there being some interaction between Kofi Kingston and Jack Swagger over the last few months i would love to see a match between Kofi Kingston and Cody Rhodes for the Intercontinental title on SmackDown happen with Jack Swagger costing Kofi Kingston the title thus furthering their mini feud. This would then see Cody Rhodes get a HUGE boost going into WrestleMania 27 and would also mean that we could see Rey Mysterio and Cody Rhodes at WrestleMania 27 for the Intercontinental title and furthering their feud.

I would say that right now Mysterio/Rhodes is the feud i am most enjoying going into WrestleMania and if given fifteen minutes it could realistically go on to be match of the night as both men are good workers if given time to showcase their talents. With the Intercontinental title on him i could see Cody Rhodes really pushing on as a top heel on SmackDown and a title match win at WrestleMania over Rey Mysterio who is a former two time World champion would do great things for Cody Rhodes in my opinion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.