Wrestling Forum banner

Will it be the opener & does that affects it's value?

• Will be opening match at WM29/does diminish value

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Will be opening match at WM29/doesn’t diminish value

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Will not be opening match at WM29/does diminish value

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Will not be opening match at WM29/doesn’t diminish value

Votes: 5 31.3%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For 2 years in a row the World Heavyweight Championship has been the opening match at Wrestlemania.
First with Edge vs. Alberto Del Rio & now Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus.

So do you think that diminishes the value of the WHC title and do you think it will be the opening match again at WM29?

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts
Re: Will the WHC title be the opening match again at WM29 & does that affects it's va

Firstly I'd like to make one thing clear: "18 seconds" was by and large the darkest moment in the history of that world championship. Going first I don't really have an issue with, but treating it like that at a Wrestlemania no less was just shocking.

With Undertaker's streak having come to an end I don't think there's any more need for spacing out the main events so much any more, so I can see it being put back somewhere in the mid card.

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,440 Posts
Re: Will the WHC title be the opening match again at WM29 & does that affects it's va

Being first on the card doesn't diminish it. It kicks the PPV off in a big way by starting with one of several main events of the night.

The whole 18 seconds thing sucked, sure, but given the overall shape of the event and seeing how there was roughly 3-4 minutes before the PPV would've went off the air, what else were they gonna do? Sucks that a World Title match had to be the sacrificial lamb, but in the end they created a highlight reel moment, and the 2/3 Falls match at Extreme Rules more than made up for it. (I know it sure as Hell wasn't Mania, but still)

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts

If they had to have "18 seconds", it should have been Show/Rhodes. Hell, it would have even made contextual sense considering Cody was making fun of him for having so many embarrassing Wrestlemania moments. What's more embarrassing than knocking a guy out with one punch and taking his title?

It was inexcusable, and it wrecked Sheamus almost irreparably.

·
Buried by the man with three H's
1,166 Posts

It could be worse... The YouTube pre-show anyone?

The tag titles and the U.S. title have been defended on YouTube, I wouldn't be surprised if the WWE throw in a Divas, IC and WHC match or two in the near future.

·
7,440 Posts

So then what, Bryan/Sheamus would get the 5 minutes Cody/Show had? That would actually piss me off more. At least the 18 seconds bit created a shocking moment. If the World Title match opened Mania and only got five minutes, there'd be just as many, if not more people pissing and complaining on here! It was memorable BECAUSE it only lasted 18 seconds. I don't think anyone could say the same if it had 5 minutes like Cody/Show did.

·
Registered
303 Posts

...and put Bryan over like mothafucka.

No problem having a title match as an opener. It's a good way to make sure asses are in seats early. If it becomes a consistent thing then people won't be skipping the first twenty or thirty minutes thinking it's going to be a Divas match or some shit.

·
7,440 Posts

People who think WrestleMania is going to start off with a Divas match have no concept of how to structure a PPV card. It needs to start off strong to hook viewers from the very beginning. You can't just book it to go from Divas match all the way to the biggest main event. It's like a roller coaster ride, with highs and lows.

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts

So then what, Bryan/Sheamus would get the 5 minutes Cody/Show had? That would actually piss me off more. At least the 18 seconds bit created a shocking moment. If the World Title match opened Mania and only got five minutes, there'd be just as many, if not more people pissing and complaining on here! It was memorable BECAUSE it only lasted 18 seconds. I don't think anyone could say the same if it had 5 minutes like Cody/Show did.
It felt like a lot longer than five minutes...

Even so, I get where you're coming from. Having four main events was always going to be a problem.
People who think WrestleMania is going to start off with a Divas match have no concept of how to structure a PPV card. It needs to start off strong to hook viewers from the very beginning. You can't just book it to go from Divas match all the way to the biggest main event. It's like a roller coaster ride, with highs and lows.
He's saying that putting the world championship match first, as opposed to something skippable like Divas, ensures people stick around for the entire show. He's agreeing with you.

·
Registered
464 Posts

being the first match of the pay-per-view does not deminish the value of the title. It's the most important match because it sets the tone for the crowd the rest of the pay-per-view.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts

being the first match of the pay-per-view does not deminish the value of the title. It's the most important match because it sets the tone for the crowd the rest of the pay-per-view.
So the 18 second WHC match was more important than the WWE title match, the HIAC and Rock vs Cena.

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT. :rolleyes:

Putting it as the first match makes it look horrible. This is a world title, not a curtain jerking tag team title match. There's never any excuse to put the top title on a brand first. It just goes to show what the WWE thinks about SmackDown, though, unfortunately.

·
Banned
344 Posts

For 2 years in a row the World Heavyweight Championship has been the opening match at Wrestlemania.
First with Edge vs. Alberto Del Rio & now Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus.

So do you think that diminishes the value of the WHC title and do you think it will be the opening match again at WM29?
How many times do I have to explain this?

There are 3-4 main events at every WM now. They have to be spread out throughout the course of the show. They can't be the last 3-4 matches. That would make no sense. So if not the opening match, one of the main events must be the second match of the night.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts

The 18 second match is kinda like this era's finger poke of doom, no it didn't kill the title by itself, but it probably got the snow ball rolling. It's already been said, but they should've cut down on the Rhodes/Big Show match if necessary, or cut out the women's match, eliminated The Funkasaurus dance show, or cut out those 2 fags that sang before the Cena and Rock match.

·
Banned
584 Posts

Ofcourse it diminishes its value.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts